Fake Wars

I hate this kind of crap. Julius C. declared on Mao even though we are all Confucians. They would each have to pass through my territory to do combat. This so-called "war" goes on for a few hundred years without either of the even TRYING to do any combat. Then J.C. asks me to join his "war" and I decline. They make peace on the next turn. This is a "no win" situation for me. Either I get sucked into a war with Mao that I don't want, or else I get a negative diplomacy hit from J.C. for not declaring on Mao. Have you ever had this happen? Very annoying!:mad:

Sure. And I do just like JC all the time too

If you are Pleased with JC and Mao, then beg 1gpt of them and they can't ask you to join in for 10 turns.

Sure. And I do just like JC all the time too

If you are Pleased with JC and Mao, then beg 1gpt of them and they can't ask you to join in for 10 turns.

This "war" lasted way longer than 10 turns, and I think I had already begged 100 from them just before the war started, so they probably would not be feeling generous. What really bugs me is that I had tight borders with J.C. and had been working diplomacy on him the whole game just to get him to Pleased. I would vote to ban fake wars from the game if they had given me a check box to eliminate it!

Well , you can still go in war and don' t touch anything of the "enemy"

I think it's just an interface issue that vexes me here. When one of these requests pops up, I want to be able to say "Hang on a moment", but be compelled to deal with it before the end of my turn.

Can't really complain because I frequently declare war just to troll or simplify diplomacy myself.

Sometimes when that happens to me, they both declare war on me.

If I were you, I'd gone to dow mao. That way, I can expand my borders, then vassalize him. After that, JC's turn.:backstab::D

Don't I wish! Mao was the top military dog in the world at the time. In fact, he would have wiped out J.C. if they had a real war. No way he would accept a bribe from me not to overrun my empire. After all, J.C. is a fellow AI and I am the human.:lol:

For you guys who start fake wars yourselves, does it actually work to entice other civs into joining your "war" ? I must admit, I have never tried it, but after this experience, I might -- especially if I can declare on some weakling on the other continent.

Yes I think AI is more likely to plot against someone already in a war, best do it against a civ on a different continent since AI is poor at handling oversea invasion (even better if it's landlocked). But just be aware your opponent can bribe someone to declare war on you.

What did you mean by "fake" war. D'you define it as "virtual" or "cold war"?

If you're having trouble convincing someone to join the war on your side, here's what you do.
*Leave a captured city undefended(make sure that the city can be captured by your enemy on the same turn).
*Gift it to your target AI.
*Ask the target AI again to join the war.
*If the enemy liberated his city on the next turn. Recapture.:D

It's situational but I find it effective.;)

Play a "New Dawn" mod. Wait for AI to declare war on you early in the game, and then observe how their stack of five javelineers occupy a hill next to your city forever. And they won't do anything and won't sign peace with you, not until "your every warrior is something into dust" thing.

Play a "New Dawn" mod. Wait for AI to declare war on you early in the game, and then observe how their stack of five javelineers occupy a hill next to your city forever. And they won't do anything and won't sign peace with you, not until "your every warrior is something into dust" thing.

That one drives me nuts, especially if you use the option "start as minor civ". Stupid campers, just wait until I tech construction and build me some cats. Grr.

That is pretty annoying, and this is even compounded by the fact that diplomacy is inherently against you because computers dont ask other computers to give them tribute and dont ask/force other to stop trading with people. Civ 4's diplomacy has always been garbage.

That is pretty annoying, and this is even compounded by the fact that diplomacy is inherently against you because computers dont ask other computers to give them tribute and dont ask/force other to stop trading with people.

On the other hand, diplomacy is in your favour because you can stab whenever you feel like it.

Can't really complain because I frequently declare war just to troll or simplify diplomacy myself.

The only problem is the problem with diplo in IV in general; the AI operates under different rules than you; it can request things in a practical fashion that a human player simply can't.

I wish they'd made it more competent/actually play the game so it didn't turn into bonus abuse (as in us abusing theirs) exclusively at high levels :lol:.

That's not as bad as playing a game where it's pangea, 8 civs on a huge continent, you're on one side and another civ is all the way on the other side of the continent, with about 3-4 empires between you, and this guy marches all the way across the damn continent just to declare war on you, when you are not the most powerful civ and the tech leader is just sitting there happily researching away, getting farther and farther ahead in tech. It would be like WW2 but instead of Germany invading Poland and Belgium, the Nazis go all the way to Korea and declare war. Gotta get some kimchi, you know

That's not as bad as playing a game where it's pangea, 8 civs on a huge continent, you're on one side and another civ is all the way on the other side of the continent, with about 3-4 empires between you, and this guy marches all the way across the damn continent just to declare war on you, when you are not the most powerful civ and the tech leader is just sitting there happily researching away, getting farther and farther ahead in tech. It would be like WW2 but instead of Germany invading Poland and Belgium, the Nazis go all the way to Korea and declare war. Gotta get some kimchi, you know

I have had that problem, too. It is another form of "fake war," because the attacker can't possibly gain anything. He just hurts both of us until we finally make peace.

It is especially annoying when my neighbor is "pleased" with me and has my religion and my enemy has a different religion. Despite all this, my neighbor has open borders with my enemy. By the time I make peace with this fool, I have fallen behind on tech and missed opportunities to build some key wonders. It is a damn conspiracy, I tell you!:lol:

Top Bottom