Fall from Heaven 2 on a Mac

DirtyFinger

Prince
Beyond the Sword is finally out for Mac!

Is there any way to install ffh manually using the existing windows installers available for download?
Can I just extract the archives and dump everything in the mod folder of BTS?

No. Macs don't use .DLL libraries which make up the core of FfH's files.

Only way to do it is to get Bootcamp or whatever it's called, and install XP or Windows 7.

Just grabbed a copy of Beyond the Sword for my Mac, and would love to see Fall of Heaven 2 mod for it as well.

This comment was interesting, as the Macintosh Civ 4 folder is stuffed with .dll files. Perhaps it is not as impossible as the last post made it seem to be. However, I am not a programmer, so I can not say how big of a job it is.

IsBjorn

No, CurseUppl is right; it's currently impossible:
Product: All

Platform: OS X

Question:
Can I use mods that have been developed for the Windows version of the software?

Answer:
Maybe. There are several reasons why a mod may not work on the Mac version.

1. If a mod has been developed using the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) to create a custom version of the game core DLL then it will not work as expected with the Mac version. There is currently no work around for this. We have to wait for Aspyr to create an SDK for the Mac version, and then recompile the mods to run in OS X. [Update: Brad Oliver of Aspyr has indicated that this capability is under development ].

2. Some mods contain incorrectly formatted XML text files, which Windows will still read but OS X doesn't. It is usually possible to edit these files to make them work on the Mac. Search this forum for people who have already done this, or post a request for assistance if your favorite mod hasn't been converted.

3. Some mods include Python code, and this may rely on the Windows Registry to find specific folders on the host computer. This code can be modified to work on the Mac.
Until a Mac SDK is released there won't be a way to play FfH2 with the Mac version of Civ4.

FfH2 can be played on a Mac with the Windows version of Civ4, but requires a Windows emulator or somesuch to allow the Windows version to run.

Does this mean I have to buy a second (PC) version of Civ IV to play this mod on a mac?

Top Bottom