- Jun 12, 2014
I'm a long time lurker on these forums - with a lot of free time on my hands in the next few weeks, I'd like to showcase one of the best mods for Civ IV: Fall from Heaven (FfH), a total conversion of the game to a dark fantasy setting.
Along the way, I'll attempt to showcase all sorts strategies enabled by the mod. Though I'm by no means an expert Civ IV player (usually play on Immortal, still can't win reliably on Standard/Normal/Deity ), there's a lot of interesting possibilities to explore in Fall From Heaven.
I'll be playing Fall from Heaven with ExtraModMod. This modpack sticks pretty close to vanilla FfH, except for interface (BUG), AI (More Naval AI) and balance improvements (Erebus in the Balance).
My goal is to win a game with each of the 21 civilizations in the mod. I'll be posting starting saves for each game, so shadow games are welcome and encouraged
- Normal speed
- Emperor or Immortal. No Deity because many maps are unwinnable if you don't have a perfect chokepoint or are playing a civilization with an early game military advantage (Doviello, Clan of Embers): the MNAI AI is super aggressive and will warrior rush you with overwhelming force (Deity bonuses) before you can unlock tier 2 units (this may be different on Epic/Marathon but I don't have the patience for these)
- Large or Huge map. On standard or smaller it's too easy to roll over the entire continent before any of the AI become a large threat once you get a stack of promoted two-move units going
- ErebusContinent or Erebus mapscripts. These both do a good job of generating interesting strategic features (mountains chains, chokepoints, isolated areas full of barbarians) and starting positions where Agriculture -> Calendar won't take care of all your early game needs
- Vassal States enabled so that domination/conquest doesn't take forever
- Puppet States enabled for the same reason
- Tech trading will vary. Enabling quickens noticeably quickens the pace of the game past ~t150, at the expense of the interesting strategic tradeoffs involved in unlocking T3/T4 units when you can't trade to backfill missing techs.
- no reloads, except for misclicks - Fall from Heaven is a lot more RNG heavy than standard Civ IV, and going with the rolls is half of the fun of this mod
- no exploits (deficit GPT trading, creating puppet states for palace mana, and probably many other FfH specific ones I'm forgetting)
Moderator Action: Moved to Stories & Tales. Cheers! -lymond