1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall From Heaven mentioned by Sid Meier

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Izmir Stinger, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Izmir Stinger

Izmir Stinger Deity

Sid Meier gave the keynote address at the Game Developers Conference this week. His speech (here) mentions the value modding brings to games (around the 45 minute point) and his only example provided is Fall From Heaven.

That is some pretty serious props! :goodjob:

2. JonathanStrange

JonathanStrange PrinceWithA1000Enemies

It's good that the "higher ups" recognize and appreciate - or at least don't publicly disapprove - of mods in general and of Fall From Heaven in particular. FFH2 RULES!

3. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

That's cool. Though the Age of Ice on BtS was about as good a kudos as we could have gotten!

4. Jenaelha

Jenaelha fields of Elanor

Cementing FfH's relationship with Civ V? :)

5. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

nice ! :)

6. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

That's just awesome. :goodjob:

7. Angel-Julia

Angel-Julia Fall from Heaven2 ROCKS!

that's a great keynote!
    great that he mentioned FFH. yeah, FFH is something special, and hopefully it's also an indication that it will be in Civ5.

hmm, so he manipulating our super-egoistic desires of ruling the world. and making us happy because we always win 3:1 battles (especially if we lowt the previous 3:1 battle).

yeah, it is obvious that FFH2 is something special vor Civ, the modding is what really makes the game. it adds a lot of value to the base game, and enriches it, doesnt require any of their resources, and utelises the comunities creativity, which includes the creativity of a lot more people than the fireaxis development team. this should be a hint to other game developers to open their games up to modding.

8. esvath

esvath Apprentice of Erebus

Well, he had to. I was interested in Civ4 after learnt about FfH 0.23. I was interested in BTS after FfH moved into BTS. Without FfH, I wont be playing Civ4 at all :lol:

9. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

Hehe,
    great Stuff!
    he even showed my little Ars Moriendi promo pic :D
    I feel honored!

10. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

You can feel honored seZereth, Nikis-Knight and all other FFH contributors...
    Sid Meier is not your average game marketing guy.
    He is a genius in his kind.
    He knows what is good, and what is just average.
    My congratulations to all of you ...

11. Sephi

Sephi Deity

it's funny as Sid doesn't consider it necessary to explain what "Fall From Heaven" is and somehow implies everyone of his listeners knows it :)

12. loki1232

loki1232 Loki

Congrats on getting that pic seZ, with your tag on it and everything.

13. Cuteunit

Cuteunit Danse Macabre

Sid has lost his mind, if you've seen his opinions on letting the player win so they dont feel cheated. Maybe he's started confusing GAMES with passive entertainment like movies. Games require being able to lose them, or they're not games. Part of the fun comes from knowing you conquered that when you do win. Television turns minds to jelly because it never tasks the brain with anything.

Reminds me of E3 when the Wii came out and turned sofa moms into a market for minigame collection titles. Every pundit and gaming business head said that actual GAMERS were the cancer of the industry and that catering to us was the source of every financial issue the industry faced. Men in suits became my enemy that day.

More on topic... Civ 5 screaming disappointment to anyone? Hex tiles change nothing, you already have 8 degrees of freedom to move in Civ4's grid. What WILL change a lot is the fact that Stacks are gone. one unit to one hex..... the dullness if numbing.

14. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Hextiles make all moves even (With Civ4, you actually move faster if you use diagonals; Cover more distance), and they also mean that you can efficiently blockade an area without a unit being able to slip by on a diagonal; One tile peninsulas only need one fort, not two or three.

15. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

hexes are awesome, but his words are indeed something to be afraid of. I'm afraid hardcore gaming is gonna die soon, and we'll have to resort to modders to give us stuff that's actually worth playing. oh wait, it already happened. too late.

16. Kael

Kael Deity

Picking my jaw up off the floor now. :D

So awesome that a roomful of developers were sitting there looking at Sez's art up on the big screen.

17. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Quite the opposite, its a very shrewd assessment of the way people play civ. The typical civ player, i.e. the ones who don't come to civfan, are landscape gardener builders who want to sit in splendid isolation and tech first to tanks before rolling over neighbouring longbowmen. As long as they still offer Aggressive AI option which causes them to play to win then I'm happy and support him trying to sell more copies.

It has to be said though, the original Civ4 AI was abysmal for many patches. I'd hope it was a lack of a dedicated AI programmer that caused it. I'd rather not have a repeat in Civ5 on release.

18. Freesmog

Freesmog Skeptic1938222569

Thank you for posting this speech Izmir Stinger!

I don't get the impression he wants to make Civ5 a carebear game.

He'd be an idiot not to recognize the significance of FFH2!!

I agree the AI needs to have major focus!!!

19. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I think of equal significance is that KAEL RESURFACES!!! Woo-hoo! He's alive! Welcome back to the forums. :)

20. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Hmm, LEast it didn't include "Cease and Decist", "Copyright Infringment" or "Royalty Fees";)