Fall From Heaven Multiplayer

Irgy

Emperor
Does it happen anywhere? Does it work well? Is it compatible with Pitboss? Where could I get involved? I see a lot of pbem threads, but they're all for Orbis. Which as I understand is yet another mod on top of FFH. Why is that? Is it better for multiplayer, or just being played a lot for some other reason (e.g. it's newer)? For the moment at least the idea of learning the ins and outs of a whole new set of changes again is just a bit too much for my brain to handle.

I will observe that some things definately don't seem to be designed for multiplayer. The spell "Trust" obviously, but that's no big deal. A bigger thing is that I can't see all how the hidden nationality mechanics, the Svartalfar worldspell in particular, would really work. While the AI might just put up with it, are humans really not going to know who's really controlling them? A few captured spiders they might think are barbarians, but otherwise I'd have thought it was probably pretty obvious what's going on. They still get around forced peace treaties, but that's a minor benefit. And similarly, what human is going to put up with Loki capturing their newly settled cities the way the AI does?

Oh I think those things are all very interesting in multiplayer too, other than trust of course. It's more a matter of timing, not (human) intelligence. I play multiplayer a lot, and use direct ip. I think orbs is used for pbem games, my impression is it's a compatibility issue but I'm not sure. Never played pbem myself. I generally prefer the wildmana mod myself, it's hard to go back to vanilla now but sometimes I do if that's what people are playing. I'm sure you can get a multi game going, I know I'm up for it. I prefer conquest only victory, but honestly I like to play more than i like to be picky.

I found Orbis PBEM games very interesting,
There were problems with running PBEM game for 'vanilla' FfH.
Anyway, I believe that now modmods are more interesting than base FfH, and for me personally it is a choice between Orbis and Wildmana (and I strongly prefer Orbis; it is not that great in single player because of weak AI, but in PBEM it shines)

I prefer base FFH (although Wildmana is nice sometimes) for multiplayer.

We play mainly Gamespy (regular BTS multiplayer), and Gameranger. (used to play with Hamachi)

We like playing mainly "Roleplaying games" ... where the primary goal is more to have fun than to win. (although winning may factor in at times, certainly)

I prefer base FFH (although Wildmana is nice sometimes) for multiplayer.

We play mainly Gamespy (regular BTS multiplayer), and Gameranger. (used to play with Hamachi)

We like playing mainly "Roleplaying games" ... where the primary goal is more to have fun than to win. (although winning may factor in at times, certainly)

Let me get this straight. You can play over direct IP/LAN/Gamespy without OOS with the latest patch? And I'm talking about the 200-250 turn OOS that happens and that continually re-occurs every 4-5 turns after each reload.

heh

try, I say try, to get a Multiplayer game past turn 200 (with more than 2 people)

but Gameranger tends to have less OOS than Gamespy, and Wildmana tends to have less OOS than base (original Wildmana, not Master of Magic)

And yes, we do hold multiplayer games.

There were problems with running PBEM game for 'vanilla' FfH.

Minor problems, or it just flat out can't be done? I know hotseat works fine because I've done it, so it seems surprising that pbem wouldn't since in principle it's just hotseat + savegame, both of which work on their own, but I guess there can be devils in the details.

I should have said in my first post that I basically never have the consecutive time available myself for real time multiplayer (plus I'm in the Sydney timezone). Although I'm still interested to know that it does happen.

Does pitboss work? I'd have thought it the least likely option to actually work, but maybe it does. I guess I could always try it myself. Or is there any other practical way to play ~24 hour turn time games?

Sounds like I probably just need to learn Orbis if I want some non-real-time multiplayer action. Which I will probably do, but it might just take me a little while.

MP games are usually quick speed and simulataneous turns

Extended games usually take between 4 hours and 6+ hours

If a game ends in a rush (rushes are usually disallowed by having no war till turn 100), then it can last 1-2 hours.

Yet it usually takes 30 minutes - 1 hour to "set up" a game. (at least for one of the people involved)

Bigger games can take much longer to "set up" just depending on circumstances.

Regardless, I'd say 6-8 hours is the average time to invest into a "good, long game"

And then you just end at a point where the game feels decided (or its RP to), instead of necessarily waiting on a "full victory"

Hmm. Does anyone at Realms Beyond play simultaneous turns games (live games) on Civ IV? // Or its mods

btw, modding Civ IV is my current hobby. learned a lot about XML (at least FFH XML)

Minor problems, or it just flat out can't be done? I know hotseat works fine because I've done it, so it seems surprising that pbem wouldn't since in principle it's just hotseat + savegame, both of which work on their own, but I guess there can be devils in the details.

I should have said in my first post that I basically never have the consecutive time available myself for real time multiplayer (plus I'm in the Sydney timezone). Although I'm still interested to know that it does happen.

Does pitboss work? I'd have thought it the least likely option to actually work, but maybe it does. I guess I could always try it myself. Or is there any other practical way to play ~24 hour turn time games?

Sounds like I probably just need to learn Orbis if I want some non-real-time multiplayer action. Which I will probably do, but it might just take me a little while.

1. I do not know if this problems are anything more than minor. We tried, once. Something went wrong, and we moved to the Orbis modmod (and I am really happy with that)
2. Another reason for you to go Orbis is: there are players playing Orbis PBEM's here, sooner or later there will be another one (I am thinking about staring one when any of current games is finished)

Yall ever try Pitboss? Sounds kind of fun :D

would need more a more stable situation than I have now ... but everyone playing 1 turn a day (with the clock ticking 24/7) might be doable (spend maybe 10-30 mins a day).

Maybe in half a year or so ... could try a long-ish game like that :D

It's definitely possible. Realms Beyond has two vanilla FfH PBEM games running, one on patch N, one on patch O.

Thank you Doug! Thanks to your link, I'm now a proud member of FFH PBEM3, controlling Tebryn Arbandi of the Sheaim.

If anyone feels like lurking my spoiler thread they're more than welcome :)

Top Bottom