Fall of Civilization - golden and dark ages.

Civ 6 is not challenging at all.
It is like facebook game , you just have to clickclickclick , and all your actions lead to the same result.

That is utter nonsense. Are you really trying to tell me that I can win a civ6 game on deity by just randomly clicking on my units or randomly picking whatever building or unit in the production queue, with no strategy or tactics whatsoever? Really?!? I highly doubt it.

This post confirms one terrible thing. Many people suffer so much because they expect Civilization GAME to be a perfect history and reality simulator. It will never be because this is a video game. And golden rule in game design is "GAMES ARE NOT VIRTUAL WORLDS". Don't expect impossible, because you will be always disappointed ;)
What do you think, will you be happy about game design based on a real-life simulator of let's say Inca Empire. Everything is good. A random event occurred: Strange white man came and people are getting sick... Sorry you have lost 80% of your population. You have lost. Start the game from the beginning. And try to imagine this simulation in deity difficulty. Enjoy the game :)

Your words have the connotation that anyone who does enjoy the game or even finds it challenging must be a moron.

Sometimes I feel like that's the view of people who mercilessly and unconstructively criticize Civ6. If you really really hate the game then just stop playing it, ignore people who love it, and just play whatever alternative game you find more enjoyable or "better". Simple.

That's what I did with Civ5 personally. I did not like it, but I didn't go on bashing people for loving it. I went on a +5 year from these forums, mostly unintentionally because I didn't play the game.

Many people suffer so much because they expect Civilization GAME to be a perfect history and reality simulator.

I feel like it's because, for them, they have a new standard to look for when it comes to defining what a good historical strategy game looks like - Paradox games. I played several Paradox games before Civ6 and they do feel like they're historical simulators. At the time I felt like they had their own niche (I wouldn't want to say "hipster" even though I feel that's a more accurate term). But then they exploded into popularity the same way Civ5 exploded into popularity once the latter expansions came out. Now the all-time standard of historical strategy games gets scrutinized by the new standard.

I still want to play and enjoy Paradox games, but what puts me off is refreshing my mind on the mechanics, because the 20+ DLCs that were released for the big two (CK2 and EUIV) made these games unrecognizable for players like me who want to get back after a 1+ hiatus. Heck when I played one game of BNW 5 years since the release of Civ5 I was still able to get the hang of it easily.

Civ 6 is not challenging at all.

You claim to have enjoyed playing 1000's of hours of Civilization I which has far, far less challenge than Civ 6. Build chariots, direct to nearest city, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Like some, I don't like the way the Heroic age can be reached through a dark one. That feels too much like rewarding a dark age.

Most of the OP was nonsense, though.

Also, you have to introduce some new stuff to every Civ game. That's not too easy when you're in the 6th version of the game. The ages are one of the better introductions, imo. I'd rather remove / change Emergencies or Governors before binning the era system.

Ps. I would be curious to see a Deity (or Deighty) win with scouts only.

To all advisors saying " if you don't like it, don't play it" ( and don't criticize too much , becouse we love it) ....well, guys - I also love this game.
Imagine a guy loving stupid woman ( or vice versa ofc ).
He knows her weak points , but for some reason he can't just stop loving her. The same is with me and Civ.
I hope this VI part is just a period of ...well....it's becouse of main Dev, this bald guy who admitted during live streams that hes got no idea about this game.
( vide: first stream of R&F) , or the woman from streams which says "cool" for 100 times.
Or maybe the other guy "AI if fine"
They will leave Firaxis and go ruin some other products.
Part VIII and/or IX will be Great Again.
For now we have what we have.

I always play "domination victory" only, and I owned (stupi)Deity AI on Vanilla in some 3 games ( never finished any, but I dominated , I tell you :)

I will do it one more time on R&F - I noticed they made some changes here, they must have known that its possible to win their game on hardest level with weakest unit.
I just found one single screen-shot from this games, it is just a preparation to a....
upload_2018-3-22_0-38-53.png

to own "deity" AI with scouts.

I did much more of them, they have 0 maitnance. Then you do massive promotion to Rangers.
Than you go.
Than "deity" dies.
So simple as that.

Please educate stupid, knuckle-dragging rabble like us how making dark-normal-golden-heroic ages these hideously gamey, basically victory-deciding events is more intelligent and nuanced game design?

You can point to anything, including things in your very most favorite Civ games of yore, and say look, it's not exactly like history! How stupid! Stupid ignorant game designers, why didn't they think of this??? What, food makes population? You mean you don't even have to play a copulation minigame? Stupid firaxis.....

If you put the same amount of energy into actually enjoying the game as you do hating it, maybe you wouldn't feel like you've wasted so much time. The scout rush is old news, and the weak points of the AI are known and already complained to death - but they're improving with patches and new releases.

That is utter nonsense. Are you really trying to tell me that I can win a civ6 game on deity by just randomly clicking on my units or randomly picking whatever building or unit in the production queue, with no strategy or tactics whatsoever? Really?!? I highly doubt it.

Tactics in Civ VI ?
Well, it exists, Sean Bean is talking a lot about it.

Im not telling you that you can win by "randomly clicking" , this is utter nonsense.
I tell you that you can just build scouts and win game on (stupi)deity.

Please educate stupid, knuckle-dragging rabble like us how making dark-normal-golden-heroic ages these hideously gamey, basically victory-deciding events is more intelligent and nuanced game design?

You can point to anything, including things in your very most favorite Civ games of yore, and say look, it's not exactly like history! How stupid! Stupid ignorant game designers, why didn't they think of this??? What, food makes population? You mean you don't even have to play a copulation minigame? Stupid firaxis.....

If you put the same amount of energy into actually enjoying the game as you do hating it, maybe you wouldn't feel like you've wasted so much time. The scout rush is old news, and the weak points of the AI are known and already complained to death - but they're improving with patches and new releases.

What are u talking about?
I never said I don't like "becouse it's not exactly like history"
What a foolish argument this is, dont put words in my mouth again.

I just pointed out, that it is anti-historical, i pointed on one single nonsence in this game.
Really, Im on your side and its strange that so many "fanatics" on this forum are just satisfied with very poor quality they recieved.

"there are 1000 problems, but they are fixing it"
maybe, if this forum was more critical Firaxis would have fired bald guy , "cool girl" and AI guy?
O , they really deserve it.

BASIC nonsences in this game make it poor. Ages are just 0,5 % of this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tell you that you can just build scouts and win game on (stupi)deity.

Sure you CAN do that, but honestly, why would you? The game is about building an empire. You are supposed to build cities, improve your terrain, build an army to protect yourself, build districts to develop your culture, and science, build wonders to show the glory of your rule, etc... Just building scouts to win a domination victory is missing the whole point of the game.

Sure you CAN do that, but honestly, why would you? The game is about building an empire. You are supposed to build cities, improve your terrain, build an army to protect yourself, build districts to develop your culture, and science, build wonders to show the glory of your rule, etc... Just building scouts to win a domination victory is missing the whole point of the game.

"sure you can do that" ???
wrong.
This is nonsence and you SHOULD NOT be able to do that.
"why would you?"
to win a game
"This game is about building an empire"
no, its not
"You are supposed to build cities, improve terrain, build an army , districts, to develop your culture and science,build wonders and show glory"
No, you are not. You are not supposed to do any of this things.

I criticize Firaxis for doing very bad job. Once again - Im on your side.

"This game is about building an empire"
no, its not

Empire-building is literally what the game is about.

"You are supposed to build cities, improve terrain, build an army , districts, to develop your culture and science,build wonders and show glory"
No, you are not. You are not supposed to do any of this things.

Then why does the game have different units and different buildings and different districts and different wonders if you are not supposed to build any of them?

I criticize Firaxis for doing very bad job. Once again - Im on your side.

Firaxis did a fine job of creating an engaging empire building game. Sincerely, I don't think you understand what civ6 is. You seem to think that the "story" is irrelevant and that the game is just about "winning" as fast as possible. And since you are able to win using a very cheaky tactic, you think the game is bad.

Somehow I have to agree with the spirit of the OP. Civ V was a series high IMO. Civ has lost its mojo :p

BTW I would love to try that infinite scout spam strategy. It looks awesome LOL

I did worry at first that adding districts would make Civ just another Sim City game, but I think they've avoided that pretty.clearly...

He isn't winning with the Scouts per Se, he still needs to get to the Industrial/Modern Era to be able to upgrade them to Rangers. So technically it is neither as fast, nor a comprehensive strategy for winning a domination game.

Even then, he will probably need a siege weapon or two for breaking city walls or it might get tedious.

Regarding the Civ VI comments, I think you are misunderstanding the game. Seems a lot of domination-orientated players want a more challenging warfare AI above all else but CIV VI is designed as a story experience and empire builder. Wars happen, but they are not the main focus of the game.

I can understand why you liked CIV I then, war was the main focus of that game and was pretty straightforward. Just pick a city and swarm it with a unit of your choice.

Golden age gives some bonus, heroic age gives 3 bonuses,
only "normal" age sucks.

This is plain wrong, or how you would say it: stupid.
Granted, I have yet to manage descending in a Dark Age, but Normal age also gives some bonus and most of the time I prefer these to the golden age ones. Also, during a normal age you can accumulate points in so many more ways that you can put aside a hoard that will serve you for at least the next 2 ages.
Please note that I have played tens of thousands of hours since Civ2, so I must know better. And I do know that Civ2 and Civ3 were much more stupid, exploitable and simple than Civ6. Maybe you are too old and your memory begins to falter.

OP you did not win a deity game with scouts, you posted a picture that shows you had knights and field cannon and filled in the gaps with scouts.
I will show you that you can win Deighty with...scouts. Yes, this game is so stupid that you can do i
With the same premIse, I have seen the Aztecs win deity with builders.
... it seems you may be as clever as the civ VI AI

Last edited:
@ OP, yeah, upgrading Scouts to Rangers, sure, the Ranger is a nice unit. Scouts only, no. Also, like Vicky said, you have field cannons and knights that I guess you've used for defensive purposes.
"Winning with scouts only" does not equal to "winning with rangers and using other units for defence before that."

OP you did not win a deity game with scouts, you posted a picture that shows you had knights and field cannon and filled in the gaps with scouts.

With the same premIse, I have seen the Aztecs win deity with builders.
... it seems you may be as clever as the civ VI AI

What was the point of the picture anyway? Just to make the game look bad?

Top Bottom