Fall Patch changes discussion thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tinker, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Gort

Gort Emperor

Presumably the AI now calculates whether their opponents will get more out of it than they will, which makes perfect sense.

2. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Even pre-beta patch I never saw it go really quick. It was later after every AI had built 2 or more world wonders that it became popular.

3. Forkandles

Forkandles Chieftain

I think youre confusing
    Historical Landmarks (Great Person Improvements generate +2 Culture. Historical Landmarks generate +4 Culture)
    with
    Cultural Heritage Sites (World Wonders generate +3 Culture)

Historical Landmarks was universally popular before. No longer. Cultural Heritage sites always had some yeas and some nays

4. Shimmler

Shimmler Warlord

Does anyone has a list of enw Great Works? Especially GWW tahtc an be foud in hidden sites?

5. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

How strange. Based on the three games I've played so far, this is very unlike my experiences.

The AI doesn't spread its religion as aggressively, this is true, but it seems to be at least as deeply wedded to the Piety tree and founding a religion early as it used to be - if not more so. In my current game - Morocco, desert start, shrine + Stonehenge + Desert Folklore - I was the second to found a religion, and two more had been founded by the time I enhanced. Five Reformation beliefs have gone by turn 100 (all the good ones). My previous game - Assyria - I made the mistake of not opening Piety and picking Divine Inspiration when I founded, thinking that with my nice haul of early Wonders I'd get to enhance before too many people founded religions. Of course, no buildings left by the time I enhanced!

It seems to me that if you want a halfway decent religion in BNW (and even more so post-patch), you have to really go for it from the beginning.

6. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

Monty kept converting my cities even after I asked him not to and he promised, just Prince difficulty.

7. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

Uh, that's not a bug. That's called lying to you.

8. Loucypher

Loucypher King

I had a weird thing happen to me in my recent Japan game. Pacal sent a Great Musician over to me, which he parked two tiles north of Osaka - right on my road, annoyingly enough - and for the rest of the game, that musician didn't even budge. Did absolutely nothing. Anyone ever seen something like that before?

9. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

well, it's just terrible then that I can't do anything about it.

10. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

You can denounce him and/or DoW him and kill his religious units. If you can't do either of those things, then why should he listen to your demands?

11. Rohili

Rohili King

Uhh, ever heard of this thing called Inquisitors? That's what they are there for...

12. Alziel

Alziel Warlord

You might not be aware - but Rohili is right. All you need is one Inquisitor stationed within your territory and the AI won't bother trying to convert any of your cities. You don't even need to use the Inquisitor. And in the unlikely event that one of your cities is converted, you can use the Inquisitor and just buy another (always try to keep a decent Faith reserve for emergencies).

Light Cleric is also correct - you need to get to know the AI personalities. Monty is not usually very trustworthy, so don't expect him to keep his promises (in fact, no AI is ever 100% trustworthy but some are much more so and some much less so than others).

However, Monty does respect shows of strength and force - and he will take advantage of perceived weaknesses. Adapt your strategy accordingly and you should be fine.

Hope this helps! :)

13. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

I didn't know that, that changes it obviously.

It's impossible to use inquisitors and missionaries to get your religion back to your cities, because the AI cheats excessively when generating Religious units, you'll never catch up here.

Denoncing him won't keep him from doing it either and if you DoW, you're always the bad guy (warmongerer). Maybe with the fall patch this is better, but if I'm going for a non-domination victory I just can't declare war on everybody just to keep their missionaries out.

and for the record, I was stronger than him on military.

14. Alziel

Alziel Warlord

Closing your borders can help - if a Missionary enters a territory that is closed to them they will suffer attrition of -250 conversion strength every turn. As the Missionary has 1000 conversion points, this can significantly weaken them (so they have less effect on your cities) and if they lose all their conversion points they'll die. I don't think attrition affects Great Prophets though.

Denouncing might actually be worth doing - every time a Civ breaks a promise that they have made they take a diplomatic hit with every other Civ which means that they are making themselves more disliked each time they do it (although some Civs won't mind as much as others). By denouncing them you might cause a chain denouncement as other Civs decide that they agree with you. Also, denouncing is a good way to soften the DoW penalty (the hit is greater if you just attack a Civ without warning).

And talking about the DoW penalty, BNW has reduced the hit taken for doing this but has increased the hit that you take for conquering cities. I believe the patch is refining this even further. If all you want to do is get his units off your land, you shouldn't take too much flak for declaring war on Monty (and he may very well not be too well regarded already if he's been breaking his promises). Getting another Civ to declare on him is also a good tactic to use if you want to reduce the diplomatic penalties as well. Of course - check who his friends and enemies are before you decide whether to declare or not.

15. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

This is not correct. Inquisitors will only deter GPs and missionaries if the inquisitor is in the city center tile or in one of the six tiles immediately adjacent to the city center. I tested this extensively when G&K came out, putting inquisitors at various locations inside my culture borders, including at a cross-roads between two cities (but within one city's culture borders), and was bemused to find GPs buzzing past my inquisitor to hit that city (passing so closely I swear I could see their cloaks rubbing against each other).

When placed in a tile adjacent to the city center (and on a road), the inquisitor can usually shuttle between cities fast enough on your road network to protect 2 or 3 cities. If you are observing different behavior, all I can surmise is placebo effect/confirmation bias (just because the AI hasn't tried to convert a city doesn't mean the inquisitor is responsible).

16. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

AI became much more intelligent with BNW release on use of Missionaries and Great Prophets.
    In G&K, the AI was so fixated on one city (usually your capital) that just place one Inquisitor next to the city they were after and problem solved.
    In BNW, you need multiple Inquisitors to deal with AIs having their units threatening to convert multiple cities in the same turn.

17. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

honor buff where ?

18. SaiH

SaiH Warlord

Does anybody know if the new Landsknecht retains its special abilities/promotions after an upgrade?

19. DemonMaster

DemonMaster A.K.A. Fenhorn

When MadDjinn bought one in his SfA game he upgraded it to a Sipahi and it retained it's abilities.

I don't mind that it does retain them but they should Obsolete LK so you can't buy them forever. Hopefully they do.

20. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Why? People are complaining, that Landsknechte are usefull only in a very short time period.

This is true for the unit itself. However, as they don't obsolete and they keep their abilities with the upgrade, they (and the related SoPo) don't lose their usefullness later in the game. The only "downside" is, that is it is expensive to upgrade all the mercenaries. On the other hand, more modern mercenaries should be more expensive. So, the only thing you really lose is the 'direct attack after purchase'-ability.

For me, its perfect!