1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall Patch

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by EricTheGreat12, Aug 21, 2013.

1. bloodycelt

bloodycelt Chieftain

Given Civ V is already based on Steam, Valve released an SDK and tools to help companies release multi platform titles. With their push to SteamOS and Steam boxes next year, more companies will take this approach.

As for Civ V, and Firaxis right now, reasons that could make this difficult.

1. Their core graphics engine is in DirectX - in order to work on other OSes, one needs to port this to OpenGL/SDL. This can be difficult, often the reason you see Mac/Linux/Win games is because they use an engine like Unity, Unreal, or Source that already works on those platforms.

2. They do not have Macs to Test/QA their games. This I see as a shallow excuse considering that you have to have much more configurations for PCs.

3. Doing so now would hurt the Mac Publisher you made a deal with <-- this is why Civ V will never be done in house, because Aspyr which did all this work would be hurt.

Of course a huge problem also is... Firaxis is owned by T2 Interactive, if they were independent, the sensible thing would be to have Aspyr just publish the PC and Mac versions. I mean Civilization is always a hit on Mac.

Maybe Aspyr should try to buy Firaxis from T2 :)

2. Keinpferd

Keinpferd King

bloodycelt, there is every reason to take the freedom to discuss these things:thumbsup:, because at least Firaxis seems to have accepted, that the customer relations with us Mac players, especially the mod interested share of it, is in shambles. Such discussions help remind them, that they apparently have become self-complacent in their role as the developers of the turn-based strategy game classic, if not the video game classic of our times.

I wish some whistleblower came around the corner in the spirit of the Snowden-Hammond-Swartz-Manning generation and would leak some information from inside on what's the true reason behind those strategic misadventures at T2, 2K, Aspyr, Firaxis… I'm sure this could be done in a non-theatrical, non-roleplay, anonymous way…

3. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

So even though it says I have the beta on steam, because I'm on a mac, I don't really get to play the beta? Is that right?

4. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

The beta was only available until the 7th, so it's no longer available to anyone. I'm fairly certain though that it was only available to Windows users.

5. bloodycelt

bloodycelt Chieftain

Keinpferd, things have improved drastically since Civ 3. The patch release cycle is also much smoother than it was when... Brad Oliver would just beg us to be patient, or in some cases... the only reason we got anything was because he used his free time to do so.

AND if SteamOS takes off, this will put pressure to develop games with OpenGL and SDL (because SteamOS runs on Linux), and since porting from Linux to OSX is very easy, this will help OSX.

Of course 4X Turn Based Strategy titles will prob. not benefit from steamOS, but... as they need to get more developers, most of the younger generation will be experienced in OpenGL, or higher level engines like Unity and Unreal... and as such, may cause Firaxis to switch to a more port-friendly technology.

(Also Paradox has stepped up their game, and released their titles on all 3 platforms, so I imagine Civ VI may be developed to at least be easier in porting. )

6. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

When will the patch that was released today be released for Mac?

I really want to start a Japan and then a Germany save with the new changes.

7. CGPanama

CGPanama Warlord

Steam downloaded a 9.4 MB file to CiV this afternoon on my Mac. Too small to be the Fall Patch (I assume). Anyone know if this is related to the new DLC?

I'll fire it up tonight when I get home and see.

8. EricTheGreat12

EricTheGreat12 King

I think that the Steam version for MAC will probably be out soon, but what about the Fall Patch and DLCs?

9. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

Interesting. I started Civ 5 an hour ago but no changes for me. I use steam and have BNW. Will try it again later on.

Edit: That size seem to be correct. There is mostly changes made in the code. The only new graphic is the the Germans UB the Hansa.

10. CGPanama

CGPanama Warlord

Nope, not the Fall Patch. Nor any other noticeable changes. Strange.

11. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Are you sure it wasn't just a Steam update? They're always doing something to it.

12. Titanis Walleri

Titanis Walleri Chieftain

Any news about the patch for people who bought it through the Mac App Store?

13. Valynor

Valynor Chieftain

I got the civ update too, I restarted twice thinking it should be the fall patch, but sadly it wasn't.
    The download progression was showed on the civV entry iline n my library, so it didn't look like a generic steam update.
    I hoped that the beta had helped the mac porting, but I guess we should wait a few more days.

14. CGPanama

CGPanama Warlord

No it ended up happening twice. The Downloads screen inside Steam showed Civilization V with a 9.6 update later and showed a total of 19.0 MB downloaded under Current Network Usage. Note: I made sure this was not Steam Workshop related downloads, as that was my first thought - both times it clearly indicated Civilization V.

I never saw any manifest change in the game, and continued playing my current save without error. Steam never restarted during this process, and the download was visible in Library -> Downloads (or linked through 1 Item Downloaded message at the bottom of the screen).

Strange and I have not other explanation.

15. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Prince

There was a brief error when the PC Fall Patch went live that the Mac version got rolled back to a previous version. That got fixed pretty quick, so that would explain the two downloads.

As for the Fall Patch for Mac, we're done with it and awaiting approval for release.

The Mac App Store version is probably a little further out.

16. CGPanama

CGPanama Warlord

Ryan,

Thanks for solving the mystery. I'll have to look elsewhere for my conspiracy theory du jour.

Craig

17. dthompson32

dthompson32 Warlord

All I know is something downloaded and got mucked up. The GOTM file I'm using is now throwing exceptions and crashing the game. Was working fine yesterday.

Ok, I guess I have a theory. I'm playing this game on both a PC and Mac (moving save files between them). I guess my PC must have downloaded the fall patch without asking last night, and the save file is now specific to the new patch. Won't work on the old version.

Dammit, I didn't want the patch until I finished this game.

18. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

Things like this could easily be solved if just everyone switched from PC to Mac :goodjob:

And thanks for the info AspyrRyan. I hope you will get an ok to release it soon.

19. dthompson32

dthompson32 Warlord

:) As much as I like my Macbook and never leave home without it, the graphics performance on my nVidea is not something I'm willing to sacrifice.

20. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Saves from version 1.0.3.142 - the Fall Patch version, are not compatible with the current Mac versions. You'll have to finish the game on your PC. I've had to update the GOTM submission system to handle the new save format.