Fallout 3 sucks!!

Homie

Anti-Lefty
I just had to get that off my chest. I haven`t played 1 or 2, but number 3 sucks big time. I`m glad I never bought it, but borrowed it from a friend first.

HATE that game!

Nerd rage!

Nah just kidding, I'd be curious if you could elaborate on why you don't like it. It is very different from the first three games which were made by another company. It isn't a perfect game but I quite enjoyed it.

Nerd rage!

Nah just kidding, I'd be curious if you could elaborate on why you don't like it. It is very different from the first three games which were made by another company. It isn't a perfect game but I quite enjoyed it.

I like nothing about it. I played Dragon Age: Origins for PS3, my first RPG experience, and I absolutely loved it. I figured I would like another "top-shelf" RPG game, so I tried Fallout 3, which is fairly well known. I was very disappointed. The graphics sucked, the story just wasn`t enthralling like in Dragon Age, the combat REALLY sucked! That`s my biggest beef with the game, the combat part was poorly done. It tried to incorporate a shoot-em up style combat with RPG style combat, but just did both things half-assed and that really sucked. In an RPG I want RPG style combat, I don`t want to worry about aiming and shooting.

Overall, it was dull, it was difficult (I played Very Easy and I still couldn`t do it) and I just never got into it no matter how many hours I gave it.

If anyone has any suggestions for good RPGs for PS3 I am open ears :)

STONE THE HERETIC! :mad:

I like nothing about it. I played Dragon Age: Origins for PS3, my first RPG experience, and I absolutely loved it. I figured I would like another "top-shelf" RPG game, so I tried Fallout 3, which is fairly well known. I was very disappointed. The graphics sucked, the story just wasn`t enthralling like in Dragon Age, the combat REALLY sucked! That`s my biggest beef with the game, the combat part was poorly done. It tried to incorporate a shoot-em up style combat with RPG style combat, but just did both things half-assed and that really sucked. In an RPG I want RPG style combat, I don`t want to worry about aiming and shooting.

Overall, it was dull, it was difficult (I played Very Easy and I still couldn`t do it) and I just never got into it no matter how many hours I gave it.

Did you play it with your monitor turned on?

I thought the combat in Fallout 3 was fine; it just got a little bit repetitive after awhile. Could just be because I almost solely used rifles and shotguns, though.

Oh you played it on the PS3, well that is a major problem right there, you can't get any of the awesome mods!

But still, the graphics are good, they are not like Crysis level but neither are Dragon Age's. Speaking of Dragon Age, comparing it with Fallout 3 is like comparing apples and oranges, as they are two very different games. Also take note that there is no such thing as "rpg style combat", many RPGs use different combat systems and few use the old system which Dragon Age uses (DAO itself being a spiritual successor to the awesome Baldur's Gate rpgs).

The Fallout games are in a post-apopcalyptic future, which includes a lot of GUNS! Though the previous Fallout games were turn-based during combat, where the VATS system worked a lot better. Fallout 3 isn't extremely difficult, unless you simply cannot stand the possibility of dying once in a while especially if you try to take on mroe and stronger opponents than your character can handle/is ready for.

EDIT: As for other RPGs for the PS3, unfortunately there are not a lot, and fewer that you will like given your issues with Fallout 3. You could try Demon's Souls though it is supposedly very very hard, or various Japanese RPGs like Final Fantasy. I don't recommend Oblivion on anything but a PC (again due to no mods for the console versions).

Disappointing? Yes, Fallout 1 & 2 are amongst the best cRPG's ever made, The Elder Scroll series is is also one of the best cRPG franchise, so one would think that Bethesda would be able to produce an instant classic.

Bad game? No, the Bad character animations, artificial intelligence, Insignificant companions, poor dialogs, voice acting and implementation of SPECIAL/skill/game mechanics and monotonous combat really hurt replayability. Most importantly, considering the new FPS direction the game has taken, the lack of Multyplayer is possibly the single greatest detractor, and while i understand that Interplay has the rights to "Fallout MMO" Bethesda should really have negotiated and bought rights for some limited multiplayer abilities like Co-Op campaign, Deathmatch and Capture the Flag, which do not in any way undermine any future Fallout MMO.

Fëanor;9137455 said:
Disappointing? Yes, Fallout 1 & 2 are amongst the best cRPG's ever made, The Elder Scroll series is is also one of the best cRPG franchise, so one would think that Bethesda would be able to produce an instant classic.

Bad game? No, the Bad character animations, artificial intelligence, Insignificant companions, poor dialogs, voice acting and implementation of SPECIAL/skill/game mechanics and monotonous combat really hurt replayability. Most importantly, considering the new FPS direction the game has taken, the lack of Multyplayer is possibly the single greatest detractor, and while i understand that Interplay has the rights to "Fallout MMO" Bethesda should really have negotiated and bought rights for some limited multiplayer abilities like Co-Op campaign, Deathmatch and Capture the Flag, which do not in any way undermine any future Fallout MMO.

Even if F3 was 10 times better anyone expecting it to be just like the first Fallouts will be disappointed. Its made on a very different engine by a very different company. I don't think multiplayer would have helped it, as i don't see VATS working that well and while it is a semi-fps it would be very different (and probably run of the mill) in multiplayer. Although co-op would be cool. I also don't see what is so monotonous about the combat that is any different from Fallout or most other games.

I agree on the above point that companions were the most disheartening part of the game. My favorite part about Planescape: Torment and Knights of the Old Republic, two of my favorite games of all time, were the sidequests and dialogue for your companions. In Fallout 3, you maybe do a tiny mission in order to acquire the companion; from that point on, they literally do nothing but make quips.

That was my problem with Neverwinter Nights 2 as well. At its core, it was a great game; but it's plainly evident that the game designers had some sort of deadline, and thus only three or four of the characters have any sidequests at all, and even they only have one each.

Did you play it with your monitor turned on?

And your hands on the mouse and keyboard? I'm a terrible FPS player, but did
fine on Normal once I figured out the combat, and even before that I didn't die
all that much.

But I do have to agree that while it was fun to play through (especially if you
ignore the main quest and just explore), I didn't feel a strong urge to replay it.

FO3 was a decent game, but not a great one by a long way. IMO probably the best summing up of it's flaws (and indeed, the flaws of all of Bethesda's games) comes courtesy of a recent article on SA:

Fallout 3 had an incredibly detailed world and VATS was solid, if not as polished as it could have been (melee was barely implemented, and targeted attacks should have resulted in way more feedback in terms of variety and personality), but the RPG parts were ****. Any tale that wasn't told through the environment fell flat due to poor writing and Bethesda's patented "you're talking to a mannequin" implementation of dialogue. The world was at its emptiest when you were with other humans, and the humor never really came through in the right way.

I don't think it's possible to put it in a better way PhroX. I'm referring to "The world was at its emptiest when you were with other humans" And how storytelling was at its best when done only through the environment. I guess it's a success in one way because the setting's storytelling power was so great, but it doesn't mean the few characters were allowed to suck...

I just got Fallout 3 for the mod's. The moment I stepped out of the vault, I'd get over my dad's disappearance and wander the wastes!

I borrowed it for 360 off a friend a while ago, didn't really enjoy it, it felt like a bad FPS to me, and given how I don't like fps games much on console anyway I just never got very far.

Considered trying it on pc to see if that makes any difference, not really sure I want too though.

I used various mods to give a cosmetic change to Fallout 3 itself. Namely with the A Good Hair Day mod (Which also gives a better HD eye texture), as well as Fellout to give the game a less greenish look.

Top Bottom