Fallout: Liberty

sudo007

Chieftain
Well hi there, nice to meet you all :)

The following post describes a mod to Civilization III Conquests that I have been working on and includes the download at the bottom of the post.

Just a few things before we get started:
1. Hopefully this is posted in the right forum - please holler at, scream at, and berate me if it is not. All at the same time.
2. I do not own the Fallout franchise, nor do I intend to infringe on Bethesda's rights as IP owners. If you haven't already, I recommend purchasing Fallout 3 to support their company.
3. I'm not sure how the community feels about re-using content. A lot of this mod has been recycled from Thorgrimm's spectacular mod without his express permission. I hope he would not mind so much considering his mod has not been updated in years. However, please perform the actions described in (1.) if I am in bad form.
4. Former colonists unite! This is one of the few times we get to spell Armor (as in Power Armor) the correct way with an international audience!

With that out of the way, I welcome you to Fallout: Liberty!

General Info

Fallout: Liberty is set in the Fallout 3 universe, with a focus on the settlements of the Capital Wasteland. In this mod, you will be able to explore and conquer this unforgiving world using your skills as a Civ III player and extensive supply of laser weapons.

The timeframe of this mod starts in 2276, nearly 200 years after the world had a gigantic irradiated bonfire. You have the option of controlling 1 of the 9 major players in the area, while meeting a further 5.

Please note that this mod is still a Work In Progress (see the Background Information below) and as such WILL have bugs - so save early and save often and don't forget (1.) above. Additionally, it is meant to have a limited scope and not encompass the entire fallout universe so does not have a full 4-era tech tree.

Features

A couple of things separate this mod from standard Civ III:
- Preset settlement spots - the only terrain that you are allowed to settle on is the grassland (technically they are called Mountains if you are a right-clicker).
- Territorial insects - You will find radroaches in certain spots. The little buggers (see what I did there :)) will not move from their spot, but may be in strategic locations so you will want to clear them out at some point.
- Power Armor - Have I mentioned that there is Power Armor? So cool.
- Locked Alliances - the Brotherhood of Steel, Enclave, and Supermutants are locked in an endless war for supremacy. Choose your allies wisely!

The factions of the capital wasteland realized the difficulty of maintaining outposts across vast distances without motorized transport. This mod reflects this difficulty by only allowing you to settle on certain locations, and by limiting the Culture drastically. The only way to expand your territory beyond the standard 9 tiles per settlement is to build a Radio - and even then it will only expand to the standard 9 further tiles (into the cross shape). Furthermore, to reflect the time that it took to secure land, it will take 100 turns to expand your cultural boundaries after building a radio. A smart leader will be sure to connect his outposts by roads and fortify strategic locations with his/her troops.

Because certain resources were not always conveniently located, patrols had to be sent out to secure those resources. In this mod, there will be many resources that are simply out of reach of your settlements cultural boundaries. This will force you to pull your troops from their walls and construct colonies on these tiles. Don't forget there are not enough of each resource for everyone to share - you may have to fight for the things you need.

Non-playable factions are those which represented a minor but notable impact on the fallout universe, but do not seem have plans for expansion beyond their walls. These factions are unable to construct settlers, but are likely to have many luxuries within their borders. You will have to decide if you want to trade for these bounties, or take them by force.

Thanks

Though I have not interacted with any of the following, I wanted to thank them nonetheless. Without these people I could never have made this.

Thorgrimm and his team - for making the amazing Fallout: The Rebirth of Civilization mod for Civ III
Bluemofia - for Da Rules - Explained
Kinboat - Industrial Legion, Resistors, spiders
NavyDawg - Spec Ops
Wyrmshadow - US Trooper, Riot Police
warmwaffles - Fallout Trooper Regiment
muffins - Marauder/Chessman Power Armour
Gojira54 - Resources, Resources, Resources!

Background Information

Truthfully, I have been modifying Thorgrimm's mod on my own off and on for a number of years. I've built a new full tech tree, new civs, units, corrected civilopedia entries etc. But, I have never released my work on that scenario and am not sure if I ever will. That mod was so ambitious that I feel I need to match the level of quality.

I had one week before I started a new job and decided: Hey - I want to finally release something so others can enjoy this world. I decided to start working on this mod and one week later - here it is! I'm sure it has bugs, and the balancing is minimal to non-existent, and there are plenty of images to add to the civilopedia - but it should be more or less playable.

Want to Help?
I welcome all suggestions on how to make this mod better, but here are a few specific ways that could help the most:

Catastrophic bug reporting: does the game crash? Let me know what may have caused it!

Terrain: I couldn't modify them to save my life. However, if someone would be willing to make terrain that is colored similar to fallout 3, that would be absolutely fantastic.

Units: There are a plethora of units that need proper modeling - I would be eternally grateful for and would happily include any units made similar to the following:
Spoiler :

T-45d power armor with laser gun (reference)
T-45d power armor with Gatling laser or minigun
The same as above, but with the Outcast color scheme (reference)
Enclave with Assault Rifle (reference)
Enclave with Laser
Radroach (reference)
T-51b Power Armor (reference)
Eyebot(reference)

Download

UPDATE: looks like you will need to download the Mod music file DL from Thorgrimm's website - I'll try to remove that dependency in a future update
First, I recommend downloading Thorgrimm's mod for the ambient music (and because it's awesome)
link here

Let's see if OneDrive works (if not please let me know!) Installation instructions can be found in the readme.txt
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=AD311BC27F0826FE!107&authkey=!ACY9lXaqMwkQesk&ithint=folder,rar

LATEST VERSION: 1.2.1

Moderator Action: Mirror download added - Blake00
Mirror download setup on CFC with the required Thorgrimm's music and sound addons applied:
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ3/Fallout_Liberty_v1.2.1.7z

Please enjoy and let me know what you think!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,651
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 1,954
  • TechTreePic.png
    TechTreePic.png
    448.5 KB · Views: 1,673
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Civfanatics!
Thank you for resurrecting Fallout Civ3 :goodjob:
Tested your mod with Rivet city and I noticed that they can't build any workers. Is this intentional or a bug?
As the city locations are preplaced you might consider updating the cityname lists for future versions. As the map seems to be quiet accurate the use of the transport ship will probably be limited but i will have to try if it is still worth building.

Thanks for the welcome :)

That was definitely a bug - thanks for letting me know! I have fixed it and uploaded a new version. I'll plan to look at the city names later, too! As for transports - let me know what you think. There may be some use for them yet ;)

I get an error trying to start the game.
Load Error
ERROR READING FILE
Missing Entry in "text\Pedialcons.text": ICON_BLDG_Radio
The game will now exit.

Hi Tigris,

Sorry that the mod is not working for you. I have double-checked the file and everything appears to be in order. Can you try the advise of tom2050 in the following thread?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9933271&highlight=complete#post9933271

That is you should see this:
...Scenarios/Fallout_Liberty/Art/ & ...Scenarios/Fallout_Liberty/Text/
You should NOT see:
...Scenarios/Fallout_Liberty/Fallout_Liberty/Art/ & ...Scenarios/Fallout_Liberty/Fallout_Liberty/Text/

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks, that's exactly what was wrong. Sorry, I should have noticed that. I started a game as Talon Company and could only build a city on a mountain terrain. I checked the terrain types with the civ editor and that is the only terrain type that allows a city to be built. :)

Hello again!

I have made a few minor updates to the scenario, including new images for the tech tree - enjoy and please let me know what you think! :nuke:

New version: 1.0.2

(Updated picture in the 1st post!)

Thanks for verifying that, mattmios!

In other news: happy new year! To celebrate, I have released a new version of Fallout: Liberty. Here are some of the major changes:
-New map! It's bigger and slightly more planned out than before. Enjoy exploring the wastes :)
-Bug fixes: fixed some major bugs that would crash the entire game were you to build certain units.
-Balancing: the teams are slightly more balanced, but be sure to let me know what you think on this!
-Locked war: The BoS, Enclave, and Supermutants would never get along so they are now locked in an endless war. Choose your allies carefully!
-Diplomacy text: The Enclave president has plenty to say about the wasteland and it's inhabitants (still working on more so stay tuned).

Be sure to read the Features section above for an update on new features.

Version 1.1.0

Hi sudo
got error like that

FILE NOT FOUND
sounds\build\misc\01hub.wav

is it something with sound, right? downloaded ambient sound from torgrim site but cant find this
where can I find this file or files?

Sorry about that, Sombre. I'll remove that dependency at some point :D

You will need the "Mod music file DL" from Thorgrimm's site Here:
http://wotg.stgfc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=6423&sid=2e0bac4bc45c325d4afa556afc95feba#p6423

The ambient sounds are something else, which should not be required for this mod to work, but they sure set the atmosphere

Let me know what you think after you have played it!

EDIT: tiny-mini-update posted today to get rid of the infinite Enclave Rifle fortify sound loop - version 1.1.1

thx - it's working now :)
very nice mod, feel like in F3 again :)
tell me -can I find some Aliens Weapon in this mod? :)

started to play as a BOS and dunno for what is BOS recruiter?:confused:

EDIT: sorry, I know now :)

Units: There are a plethora of units that need proper modeling - I would be eternally grateful for and would happily include any units made similar to the following:

I have not downloaded this mod yet, but I am pleased someone has chosen to get it up to speed. Since I've not seen its elements yet, I'll apologize in advance if what I'm about to suggest is already incorporated into Fallout: Liberty, but http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=196395 has a list of armored infantry, some with beam weapons, some with ballistic. The "Jin Roh" soldier seems suited for this, and there are others. Tom's Unit Factory (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337491) under Animals has oversized insects and arachnids, although I'm disappointed there isn't one overtly cockroachy, but one or two could be used for the armored or more mutated radroaches. NavyDawg uploaded Space Opera units at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=262488, and I'll draw attention to the combat control and drone gun, as versions of an eyebot. (There's also a floating skull which is probably to better eyebot scale at Tom's Unit Factory, but, admittedly, it's more suitable for a WH40K skull probe.)

There's more to be found on the forums, and since I'd recently gone through a search for units for a postapocalyptic mod I'm working on, I know there's quite a few units appropriate for Fallout, but I'm not a stickler for exacting detail, particularly given the level of zoom and color depth for [c3c]

Hope this helps at least somewhat. Thanks for updating this mod.

Truthfully, I have been modifying Thorgrimm's mod on my own off and on for a number of years. I've built a new full tech tree, new civs, units, corrected civilopedia entries etc. But, I have never released my work on that scenario and am not sure if I ever will. That mod was so ambitious that I feel I need to match the level of quality.

Why are you "not sure if you ever will?" Full tech trees, new civs, and corrected civilopedia entries are what every good mod needs. If you haven't done so already, put all that work that you've done into Liberty and release a 2.0 version. (It's just a matter of cut-and-paste, and you've clearly already done the playtesting and troubleshooting.)

Sombre - it's the settler.

Thanks for the links Erebras, I'll see what more I can find! But I can always dream for custom-made units right? :D

On the other subject - Fallout Liberty was meant to be a much more focused mod, whereas the west-coast one is meant to span a couple centuries so has a much larger tech tree to traverse, not to mention a different map, too. Because of these differences, they are really different mods and just share some commonalities like some of the units. But you never know, maybe someday. If you decide to try out liberty please let me know what you think!

Thanks

This is quite interesting!

How many factions are in this mod, btw, and how large is the map?

I might reinstall CivIII to give this mod a go, even if like many Fallout purists I don't like the FO3 setting.

Hi Slaughter,

Sorry for such a late response! There are 9 playable factions, and 5 'Minor' factions, and the map is 90x130. While it certainly isn't the biggest mod, I hope it can give you several hours of enjoyment.

In other news - I have actually been working on the mod some more, and want to share my progress with you via a new version! I am happy to announce that Fallout Liberty version 1.2 is ready for download - check out the OneDrive link above for the download link.
A few features of this version:
- A focus on the Enclave in this release including
Updated Civilopeida entries
A new Hellfire Trooper unit
Authentic unit audio on most enclave units (My favorite part!)
New Diplomacy text when talking to Eden
- Rearranged map that sections the River into 3 usable parts.
- Fixed many crash-inducing bugs

The next version of the mod I will plan to focus on another faction - which one do you all think it should be?

Thanks again for trying out Fallout Liberty, and I would greatly appreciate any feedback that you might have.

I downloaded the mod but can't find biq file. Please check whether you omited it, or it is just me being blind.

Top Bottom