Fallout: New Vegas

There's not a lot terminals that early on. Science is more important later.

I was thinking more the few quests that could be accomplished easily with some science, but now that I think about it I don't know if there are a lot of those (and the specific cases I'm thinking of, the guys Farkas wants cleaned up, Speech actual supersedes Science! you still get exp for using Science though).
Hmm, Novac does have the quests for Helios I and the REPCONN Test Site pretty close. That's if you do go on those side missions though.

Ok, fair enough, but still you really should set aside some points into it early on so that later when you do need it you just breeze on through instead of groping around for magazines and levels.
You should always keep some magazines with you too for skill checks. Before I got 100 in the important ones, I always had a stock of magazines I picked up or bought (once I had more money).

I was thinking about starting up with Fallout NV again, and after the official patches are there any unofficial patches / fixes or other mods that you would recommend? I have already been through the game, two times so I'm not too worried about spoiling or something being horribly unbalanced or lore unfriendly.

Try newvegasnexus.com.

I usually just stick with the UI updates and minor graphical changes and don't change my game much more than that but it's certainly possible.

The mods I'd recommend the most are Better Crosshair, MTUI and Perk Every Level but you can also look for some improved blood splatters or better skies, if you look around the most downloaded files you'll definitely find some neat stuff. ;)

I used to start with my intelligence at 9, but that is newbie stuff from what I read. :). It was difficult to let go of my obsession with pumping so many skills to 100, but I have done it my last game. You don't really need 10 intelligence, it is nice, but not necessary. It's a crutch, and I have finally freed myself of that crutch.

I used to start with my intelligence at 9, but that is newbie stuff from what I read. :). It was difficult to let go of my obsession with pumping so many skills to 100, but I have done it my last game. You don't really need 10 intelligence, it is nice, but not necessary. It's a crutch, and I have finally freed myself of that crutch.

Not, that is not. I've always done it because the more Intelligence you have, the more skill points you earn whenever you level up (this was nerfed a lot from F3 to FNV).

Since there are no bubbleheads and therefore you don't waste a SPECIAL point if you dedicate all of them to Intelligence at the beginning of the game, just go with 5 everything else and 10 Int, it's not noob at all. You can use the Intensive Training perk 10 times to increase your SPECIAL from 40 to 50, some other perks like Reinforced Spine in OWB give you +2 STR, you can also use 6 SPECIAL implants and the two others which increase DT and HP regen (which overall will help you more than another SPECIAL point), there are traits which you can choose that improve them even more like Small Frame (+1 AGL) or Two Eyes (+1 PER with glasses) and you also have plenty of equipment which will raise your SPECIAL even further (Lucky Glasses, Courier Duster, Power Armor, etc).

If you really care, you can have your character with all your SPECIAL points at least 9 and have all skills maxed, it's definitely not noobish to go with 10 Intelligence from start.

Starting with 9 INT is better than 10 because then it doesn't waste the implant.

Also, it is most definitely not a newbie move to start with high INT. I mean, you can handicap yourself (for roleplay or difficult reasons) with less INT, but that doesn't mean min-maxing is the equivalent of being bad.

Starting with 9 INT is better than 10 because then it doesn't waste the implant.

Also, it is most definitely not a newbie move to start with high INT. I mean, you can handicap yourself (for roleplay or difficult reasons) with less INT, but that doesn't mean min-maxing is the equivalent of being bad.

Like I said, 1 extra point in CHR for example doesn't make up for +4 permanent DT or slow continuous HP regen, even if you compare the costs you'll see that the SPECIAL implants cost 4k caps and the other two cost 8k and 12k caps each. Besides, if you max Speech, ignore Barter because you're already filthy rich and don't fully rely on companions, there's absolutely no reason to lose skill points while you level up between getting 4k caps and arriving at the Medical Clinic and lose out on one of the other implants just so you can from start get another SPECIAL point like in CHR rather than INT. The same can be said about the other SPECIAL skills, the loss in skill points and the other implants just doesn't make up for the very marginal increase which another SPECIAL point has to offer.

Most people don't get to level 50, and the game is piss easy at that point anyway; it's the early game where one has to quickly get skill points where it matters.

yeah it helps to have those points early, because some quests like come fly with me are a pain with low skills. So many quests you just can't do until your stats are high enough. At least not if you are a completionist like me and like to do optional objectives.

I finally got the last dlc (lonesome road) and finished that this morning. It's pretty cool. I still like Honest Hearts the best. But from the official forums that seems to be the least popular. I'm not sure why. I also picked up the GRA dlc which seems like a waste, but they tempted me with those achievements (annoying that achievements for dlc shows up almost forcing you to buy the dlc). Only dlc I don't have is courier stash.

So I started a new game intent on getting the GRA achievements. Some of those seem a little difficult, but I should have no problem with a guns/melee character. I just have to plan things a little. I ended up starting with 5 strength, 6 perception, 7 endurance, 1 charisma, 6 intelligence, 6 agility (7 with small frame), and 9 luck. From what I read luck is the be all end all attribute to have.

I never did finish my game with my cowboy character (he got up to 16). I thought about using him for the achievements (as he's guns/melee too), but it's difficult to get into a player that I haven't played in so long. I also never finished my homicidal play through. Maybe one of these days.

I'm closing in on 400 hours played. This is my favorite game of all time I think. I'm pretty sure I have the most hours played with this game than any game (except maybe world of warcraft).

yeah it helps to have those points early, because some quests like come fly with me are a pain with low skills. So many quests you just can't do until your stats are high enough. At least not if you are a completionist like me and like to do optional objectives.

I finally got the last dlc (lonesome road) and finished that this morning. It's pretty cool. I still like Honest Hearts the best. But from the official forums that seems to be the least popular. I'm not sure why. I also picked up the GRA dlc which seems like a waste, but they tempted me with those achievements (annoying that achievements for dlc shows up almost forcing you to buy the dlc). Only dlc I don't have is courier stash.

So I started a new game intent on getting the GRA achievements. Some of those seem a little difficult, but I should have no problem with a guns/melee character. I just have to plan things a little. I ended up starting with 5 strength, 6 perception, 7 endurance, 1 charisma, 6 intelligence, 6 agility (7 with small frame), and 9 luck. From what I read luck is the be all end all attribute to have.

I never did finish my game with my cowboy character (he got up to 16). I thought about using him for the achievements (as he's guns/melee too), but it's difficult to get into a player that I haven't played in so long. I also never finished my homicidal play through. Maybe one of these days.

I'm closing in on 400 hours played. This is my favorite game of all time I think. I'm pretty sure I have the most hours played with this game than any game (except maybe world of warcraft).

Lmao I have about 400 hours in this game too. Plus another 500+ (lost track) in Fallout 3, and 200 more in Skyrim (I group The Elder Scrolls and the new Fallouts into the same group of games. I just can't help but notice the massive gameplay similarities between them.) These Bethesda (and Obsidian) games are some of the best pieces of software to grace my computer. By comparison, I have 300 hours in Civ 5, and 150 in Civ 4.

Yeah it would be a great time for Caesar's legion to invade Helios One where Obama is. Where is Caesar when you need him.

It looks like he's standing on top of the solar panels in that picture.

I'm doing a low intelligence (1)/low luck (also 1) play through right now. Unfortunately they don't have the "dumb" speech options Fallout 2 had. Although admittedly, I didn't finish my Fallout 2 dumb run because I wasn't eligible for so many quests because of my low INT. I'm doing unarmed mostly (and later I may do explosives) with the heavy handed trait (reduces crits even more, but more unarmed damage). No sense trying for crits. I won't even raise intelligence and luck using implants either. Right now I have Str 9, Perception 4, Endurance 9, Charisma 9, Int 1, Agility 9, Luck 1. This run is also an evil run as well. My only other evil run wasn't that evil (I still did many NCR quests). I want to do the bad version of NCR quests like destroy the monorail etc.

So far it hasn't been challenging on very hard difficulty. I figured I'd go for high charisma since I always have a charisma of 1 in my games. It hasn't seemed to make that much difference. Although I only have ED-E as a companion now. Skill points are my main struggle right now. I took skilled trait as well (a powerful trait, sure you get 10% less XP, but there is more than enough XP to go around). My science skill is abysmal. I'm focusing more on speech and lockpick. And you can't take comprehension with INT that low either.

I'm curious how difficult gambling will be with that low of luck. I haven't made it to New Vegas yet. No sense making an early medical facility run since I'm not going to raise intelligence at all.

I only wish there were more speech options for low intelligence characters.

Full voice acting and more conversations are probably the reasons why they didn't have more speech options for low intelligence characters. If Obsidian had more time and money, they might have been able to fully flesh out that aspect of the game.

Then again, if they did have the resources, I would've hoped that they would spent it on QA and stability issues.

Turns out gambling with low luck isn't very productive. :) I only tried blackjack, but that's all I needed to know. I did one reload, and had 1000 chips. I did the max bet of 200 chips. So in all it was about 11 games. I won one game (which enabled me to play 1 more than 10), and lost the other 10.

Looks like I'll have to make money the old fashioned way. :) Thank god for snow globes, they enabled me to get most of my implants. The only one I don't have yet is the health regen one (I never get that one actually, I don't even know how useful it is) for 12 k, and perception. I won't get Int and Luck, I'll keep them at 1.

One conversation I did get was with the Dr. in the Vegas Medical Clinic. I was looking for the implants option, and they had something about "What did you say about plants?". The Dr. is like no not plants, implants. :lol: , and then she suggested I take the intelligence implant. :)

Yeah gambling with low luck is a waste of time unless you really, REALLY like saving and reloading a lot. I was very disappointed with that aspect of the game (one of the only aspects of it I was disappointed with really). I was expecting Luck to have a subtle impact on gambling, but then it turns out to be by far the most important thing. I can see Luck being the deciding factor for slots and roulette but I would have preferred strategy to be the most important factor in blackjack regardless of Luck.

Been spending time with Fallout 3 again lately and now it's made me want to start a character in New Vegas again too. My character in Fallout 3 this time was something like:

S:6
P:6
E:1
C:10
I:10
A:1
L:6

I used a mod (FWE) that made it so that with high Charisma you could hire more than 1 follower, and I played basically a wasteland tycoon, pumping my non combat skills and making mad bank and using that money to outfit my hired bodyguards. Pretty fun but not sure I want to go that route again so soon. Thinking of doing a stealth build this time but haven't decided. Anyone have any fun builds to try, keeping in mind that the primary weapon has to be guns or energy weapons? I'm not much of a fan of melee, I feel like if I wanted to bash people's faces I could play The Elder Scrolls instead of Fallout, it does melee better.

Yay, I started again as well!

My character is named Martin Dean, ain't that a kick in the head. He is a good guy with high intelligence, charisma and a soft spot for all kinds of booze.

Well, I WAS going to play again, but now frustration because NVSE isn't working is setting in and I'm kind of thinking I might not bother.

Well, I WAS going to play again, but now frustration because NVSE isn't working is setting in and I'm kind of thinking I might not bother.
Have you installed the latest version of NVSE and launched NV from the exe that came with NVSE?

Top Bottom