1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fallujah: Uglier than you might think.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Norlamand, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

The fighting is bad but what is being found seems worse.......

http://www.smh.com.au/news/After-Sa...t/2004/11/14/1100384427010.html?oneclick=true

For those who don't want to register:

Butchered blonde woman found with throat slit
    November 15, 2004 - 7:38AM

Page Tools
    Email to a friend Printer format The body of a blonde woman with her legs and arms cut off and throat slit was found today lying on a street in Falluja, a notorious Iraqi enclave for hostage-takers, US marines said.

"It is definitely a Caucasian woman with long blonde hair," said a military official, who cut open a cover that had been placed over the corpse.

Another unit stumbled across eight Arab men, apparently Iraqis, who had been shot in the head execution-style, and laid out in two courtyards, four in each, said an AFP reporter embedded with the marines.

The gruesome discoveries were made as marines moved through the south of Falluja, hunting out the remaining rebels after a week of fierce fighting to regain control of the city.

"It is a female ... missing all four appendages, with a slashed throat and disembowelled; she has been dead for a while but only in this location for a day or two," said Benjamin Finnell, a hospital apprentice with the Navy Corps, who had inspected the body.

Advertisement
    AdvertisementAn AFP photographer embedded with the marines noted that the woman was wearing a blue dress and her face was completely disfigured.

Sweeps of rubble-strewn neighbourhoods in Falluja have uncovered a grisly underworld of hostage slaughterhouses, prisons and torture chambers as well as the corpses of Iraqis who had been executed, marines say.

Later in the day, a unit of marines found the eight men, all fairly burly and aged between about 20 and 45, in central Falluja, said the AFP reporter.

There were no uniforms or distinguishing features to identify the bodies, but two were dressed just in their underwear, he said.

Surviving hostages have also been found, but only one was a foreigner -- a Syrian driver who was abducted with two French journalists in August.

Two foreign women have been abducted in Iraq and remain missing.

One, Teresa Borcz, 54, a Pole, has blonde hair, the other, British aid worker Margaret Hassan, 59, has chestnut-coloured hair.

Borcz, married to an Iraqi and a resident in Iraq for 30 years, was abducted late last month. She has appeared in two videos appealing to the Polish government to help her but her fate is unknown.

Hassan, the Iraqi head of relief agency CARE International, was kidnapped on her way to work in Baghdad on October 19 and has appeared in three videos.

She also holds Iraqi citizenship after marrying an Iraq and is a long-term resident of the country. Her fate too is unknown.

A marine staff sergeant, who deals with detainees, said it appeared as though a kidnapping squad used Falluja to hold its captives.

"We broke a safe in one room and found a list of Iraqi hostages," he said.

"These guys have a kidnap squad, working outside Falluja and bringing their victims to the city," he told AFP, without giving his name.

Just one-and-a-half days into the operation, marines found alive Mohammed al-Jundi, the Syrian driver who was kidnapped with French journalists Christian Chesnot and Georges Malbrunot.

"I have no news of the French hostages," the staff sergeant added.

More than 200 foreigners have been kidnapped in Iraq since April by different militant groups and many have been beheaded.

Meanwhile, the US military said 38 American soldiers died and 275 had been wounded in the week-long offensive to recapture the Iraqi city of Fallujah from rebels.

The toll includes three non-combat deaths.

AFP, Reuters

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Erm, that is one of the sites that non-members need to register. Can you copy and paste the article here?

Edit: Never mind, you edited your page just as I was posting this

3. CenturionV

CenturionV Warrior Forever

Why don't you paste in the article? It says I need to register :confused:

4. Immortal

Immortal Deity

Am I surprised at this? NO.

Do I care what the Americans probably did in retaliation? NO.

People will denounce this, people will blame the war, people will blame whoever they want. The reality is that this happens every day hundreds of times and I really have no control over it.

Thus, I really don't care at all about the dead insurgents, nor about the dead innocents in Fallujah. Maybe she shouldn't have married and Iraqui and moved to Iraq.

5. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

I somehow fail to be surprised.

6. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

They have already found what Marines dubbed "The slaughter house" where many Iraqis were held and beheaded by the Rebels.

How can such people have support of their neighbors?

7. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Insurgents decided to attack a police station by mortaring it.
    They fire a total of 8 shells, 6 of which miss the target and land in civilian buildings, 1 is a dud and 1 hits the station.

Seriously Bug we already know the answer. (Vietnam, Algeria)

8. Norlamand

You are probably right. We should slaughter all such infidels like animals.......... :rolleyes:

9. Immortal

Immortal Deity

If I married someone from a hotbed of anti-christianity, I sure as hell wouldnt plunge headlong into the hotbed.

For what its worth, I think it was a waste of American lives to liberate people who turn around and do this to some random lady. Iraq is a dictatorship killing civilians? Not my problem quite frankly, as long as they dont have the ability to do anything to me I couldnt care less what happens.

10. CenturionV

CenturionV Warrior Forever

They don't. Contrary to the media's portrayal of select iraqi people, I hvae spoken with a guy who runs a martial arts/paramilitary store here in edmonton, he says he has friends doing security contractor jobs in iraq, and everything he has heard from them is the average iraqi want the US there. Its just the extremists get all the media attention.

As to the headless, armless body, its not uncommon, wars are not friendly fun things, people are gone get killed in nasty ways, welcome to the real world. Its not always that nice of a place.

11. 10Seven

10Seven Intolerant of Intolerance

And, lets be honest, there were probably as many people found with their throats cut in the USA last week, and headless/limbless corpses are not so uncommon either...

'Those naughty rebels, doing what our citizens will do for free' or something like that :mischief: I'm in a cynical mood today.

12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

This seems like every other war in history. We kill and maim each other without regard. Today the arabs are doing it. Past offenders have been: Americans, Germans, English, French, Chinese, Japanese, Cambodians, Romans, Assyrians, Hebrews, Greeks, Turks, Mongols, etc. etc. etc. Zealots of every stripe revel in the demise of their enemies.

13. Immortal

Immortal Deity

Cool. There ya go. Forgot some like Huns, Egyptians, Russians, Spanish, Portuguese etc.

If I spent my time boiling over every time somebody dies innocent, I would be doing a lot of boiling over. I have to live my life, I can't spend my time agonizing over things I can't control.

14. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Yes, it is a long list. The options for "fixing" humanity are few and far between; we would do better to tackle the terrible plight of people where we can have a real impact. Generally, that is with those we see around us every day.

15. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Well, I can certanly see we also failed in this battle. Not only the Rebel leader had escaped but there were numorus atrocities commited in this battle :shakehead

16. Bugfatty300

How can the US forces control wether the rebels commit atrocities when they were allowed to control a whole city for weeks?

17. Sanaz

Sanaz Gorilla Joe

Finally the pro-war/pro-Bush crowd is realizing that the Iraq "situation" is a mess, and it is getting worse. At least it is Bush's problem to take care of it now. He tried taking credit for a success that didn't exist, now he can take credit for a failure that has existed for a while. Of course he won't...

Since the US is solely responsible for security in Iraq, the crimes committed are the direct (ir)responsibility of the US.

18. Norlamand

Yes Chicken Little, the sky is falling............. :rolleyes:

19. Bugfatty300

US forces now occupy all of the city with small pockets of resistance scattered about.

-38 Marines and 6 Iraqi National Guardsmen have been killed.

-275 Marines were wounded (60 of those have returned to duty)

Insurgent casaulties are in the thousands (Mostly due to airpower)

Around 1,000 people have been arrested but most of them will be released.

The fighting has died down as more and more insurgents are killed, captured, escaping or unjustly murdered, (Which ever your personal bias prefers)

General Saddler, USMC, U.S. Commander of the operation: "The enemy is broken, but troops have to go back to still isolated pockets of insurgents. If they are trapped and want to fight till death, we have no choice but to accommodate."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6403689/

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/14/iraq.main/index.html

20. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

How many of you know that AFP, the press agency which has written that story, is actually French ?

Each time Americans talk about news agencies, they always mention only AP and Reuters. However, on news websites such as Yahoo there's about the same amount of stories coming from AFP then from AP or Reuters...

And I'm talking about the english speaking yahoo... of course, the french speaking one wouldn't matter.