1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Family, Race, Religion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CamelSpider, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CamelSpider

CamelSpider Chieftain

Family is a product of mother, father and child. Race is a result of genetics (which are the result of conditioning and mutation). Where reproductive intercourse is concerned, it is in the person's best interest to consider race, even if that reproductive intercourse is with a person of another race; to judge the race of the potential baby. It's wise to understand yourself as exclusive to your own race, so that other races appear as other races rather than duplicate. Otherwise you may find it difficult to find your own race attractive, as you imagine your race competition against others.

I, a white race male, happily submit to other races, priror to reproductive sexual intercourse with my own race - avoiding competition (it's distracting).

I wondr, in cases of religion, does it help to submit to the deity of other religions when considering your own?

2. Samson

Samson Chieftain

I think you are wrong here. Race is principally a product of society. Attempts to relate race (as society views it) to any solid genetic markers have failed.

Not quite sure where the rest of your post is going, but I think the fault at the start may endanger the whole thing.

3. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

I agree with this, though that's about the only point that I understood. @CamelSpider Can you be clearer what is meant by "submit" in all the different contexts you've used it in?

4. CamelSpider

CamelSpider Chieftain

Do you believe there is no distinction between an African black skinned person and an English white skinned person, and the idea of such is a social construct?

5. CamelSpider

CamelSpider Chieftain

Submit, in the sense of, submit to the idea of a, or multiple, more powerful (or dominant), other races. The thought of submission can be on many scales; mentally, physically, etc.

To me, submission is release from the idea of racism.

6. Samson

Samson Chieftain

No. I believe, because it has been experimentally shown, that there is no distinct population of "African black skinned person" or "English white skinned person" that can be shown by genetic features.

7. CamelSpider

CamelSpider Chieftain

Aren't 'distinct populations' social constructs, or even greater social constructs than your idea of race?

8. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

This is not what is meant by "race is a social construct." Obviously "race" in the way you are using it here, as someone's noticeable skin tone, facial features, etc. (more academically called "phenotype") exists. Acknowledging that some people - indeed, some groups of people - look different from each other is not racist and is not racism. What is racist is to then take this fact, that different groups of people look different, and use it to make assertions about those groups of people, their morality, what they're good and bad at, etc.

I also want to point out that as the dreaded "race-mixing" occurs throughout the world and more mixed race people are born, you may not really be able to talk about how groups of people look different from one another, because how can you cut up these groups in a coherent way if people of different origins look similar to one another? People of mixed race - which I would argue is the more "natural" state than some kind of blank slate, "ideal" raced person who stands as an identifier somehow for an entire group of people - sometimes do appear to be of "one race" more than another, but it's the human creation of racially divided communities that makes mixed race people the exception to the norm.

EDIT: To clarify, I do not believe anyone is "racially pure." On some level, everyone is mixed. This is not to appropriate the identities of mixed race people - not everyone is mixed race - but to point out that even people who have ancestors all of the "same race" have ancestors of a different race somewhere along their line. No one is "pure."

9. Samson

Samson Chieftain

No. The concept of a distinct population is a core concept in biology and in the way it is commonly used has nothing to do with human social constructs.

10. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Speaking for myself personally, I only have sex with humans. So none of that is an issue for me.

BTW, I'm not judging whatever sexual lifestyle you might be into.

Hygro, JohannaK and Valka D'Ur like this.
  11. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

What does this even mean? :huh:

A mother and father are necessary to produce offspring, but neither are crucial to having a family. My mother ceased to be part of my family when I was 8 years old, after my parents divorced and my dad got custody. That's the legal part of it. After multiple further instances of her lying to me and being verbally and psychologically abusive, she ceased to be considered family at all.

My anthropology instructor in college told us that there is only one race - the human race. The tone of your post gives me the creeps, as though white and black are different species to you, and I don't get what you mean by "judging the race of the baby."

12. CamelSpider

CamelSpider Chieftain

A child is either a boy or a girl, a mother and father create a child. If we're going to discuss family, and in this discussion we select which best suits race, personal input or instance, should race be based on the personal input(s) of families, or the family instance itself?

13. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Sorry, whatever you're trying to say is lost in translation. It really sounds like you're saying people should only marry and have children if they have the same (or similar) skin color. If you're talking about familial disapproval if the couple who want to marry don't have the same skin color, please say so.

14. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Frankly, I'm against all three.

15. CamelSpider

CamelSpider Chieftain

Why do you compete for high standing around knowledgeable people? Why do you categorise people around you?

When was the white man a victim of racism, if not the presence of the other man at present?

Would racism be a thing if nobody got hurt?

In the purest sense, races should be understood as races.

16. civver_764

civver_764 Pro-Black

Well isn't it true that people of different phenotypes have different biological strengths and weaknesses?

17. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Most of an individual's strengths and weakness will depend far more on individual genetics and environment than on phenotype. Trying to pick out a coherent set of racial characteristics from that noise is always going to be an exercise in abstraction in the extreme, if not simply in wishful thinking.

Lexicus likes this.
  18. civver_764

civver_764 Pro-Black

If we're looking at individual genetics, isn't that related to their phenotype or "race"?

19. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

You'd assume so, but it doesn't very well.

20. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey Lord of Misrule

The only bit of your post I can answer is this, and the answer is yes, it helps to submit to the deity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.