Fan made Colonization inspired games/Clones

FreeCol 0.7.0 has been released. FreeCol is an open version of the turn based strategy game Colonization.

Changes:
- Trade and negotiations between human players.
- A simple map editor has been created.
- The in-game user documentation has been improved.
- Map of the Americas added.
- Automated trade routes.
- Lots of bugfixes.

Download:
http://www.freecol.org/index.php?section=6

I know this is an old thread to bump, but I really like freecol but I have never completed a game without it crashing yet. And I have the most current version :(

I know this is an old thread to bump, but I really like freecol but I have never completed a game without it crashing yet. And I have the most current version :(
Never had any problems with it. Maybe ask some assistance on their Sourceforge forum?

Since my last update Freecol team has released versions 0.7.1 and 0.7.2. Both being mainly bugfixing releases altought some new features have been implemented and old ones improved.

Bug fixes in 7.1
New features in 7.1

Bug fixes in 7.2
New features in 7.2

Freecol - SF

Unfortunately Freecol project has also suffered major setback with the disappearance of their main graphic artist (shinydaemon) who was redoing terrain graphics and was almost finished when he suddenly just vanished from face of the earth. Worse is that he did not commit any of his changes before disappearing leaving rest of the team nothing to work on. Screenshots of his works can be seen in this topic.

So if there are any graphics artists willing to help Freecol project, please do contact the developers as soon as possible. Beside the redoing the entire terrain tileset (or part of it), there's at least need for graphics for each Indian tribe settlement (currently there's only one picture to represent them all). I'm sure there are other things that need/can use (re)work also.

Update

Next FreeCol version, 0.7.3, is scheduled to be released on Sunday, January 27th.

NewCol version 0.2.8 has been released.

Colonies development has resumed after few months of inactivity.

FreeCol 0.7.3 has been released. Major features in this release :

- Some new maps.
- Tutorial messages.
- Several bugfixes.

Bug fixes in 7.3
New features in 7.3

Freecol - SF

Also NewCol 0.3.0 has been released.

There's no change log so exactly what has been chaged from 0.2.8 is bit unclear. News page list some of them at least. Also the NewCol website actually works now :p and problem with image preloading has been sorted out. There's also 2 new screenshots featuring battle between 2 large armies.

NewCol

Just as side note : There's also new versions of FreeCiv and FreeOrion available

FreeCol 0.7.3 has been released. Major features in this release :

- Some new maps.
- Tutorial messages.
- Several bugfixes.

Bug fixes in 7.3
New features in 7.3

Freecol - SF
The new maps are nice, but it is a bit annoying to see the tupi and Iroquis in Africa or Australia. I hope they will also add new native tribes with the option to select the ones you need.

Just as side note : There's also new version of FreeOrion available
There is a subforum for Masters of Orion. Maybe you will invoke more interest there?

The new maps are nice, but it is a bit annoying to see the tupi and Iroquis in Africa or Australia. I hope they will also add new native tribes with the option to select the ones you need.

There are plans to allow modding of goods, units and other parts of the game for scenario purposes in later versions of FreeCol. (See project Roadmap)

-----

Objective: Restructuring and scenarios

- Restructure the game model.
- Make a persistent way of storing a game/map.
- Extend the map editor to support scenarios.
- Allow the game to be customized using XML-files.
- Create a few scenarios.

------

Objective: Easier customization of the game.

- Extend the map editor and create editors for units and terrain.
- Add other features simplifying modding.

Unfortunately due to them losing their dedicated artist, I doupt we'll see new tribes as doing them would require new art. Ofcourse this could change if they manage to recruit another dedicated artist.

There is a subforum for Masters of Orion. Maybe you will invoke more interest there?

:) As I said, it was just side note. Maybe I'll post news there when they get to 0.4.0 sometimes this decade ;)

Does Newcol not run on win98?

I get it to start and them as soon as I click to choose a nation it crashes and disappears.

I also had a problem with it at first refusing to run and saying that I was missing the msvcr80d.dll. I found a site to download the msvcr80d but didn't know where to put it. I decided to place it in the same folder with the game's .exe and the game started and then crashed.

Does Newcol not run on win98?

I get it to start and them as soon as I click to choose a nation it crashes and disappears.

I also had a problem with it at first refusing to run and saying that I was missing the msvcr80d.dll. I found a site to download the msvcr80d but didn't know where to put it. I decided to place it in the same folder with the game's .exe and the game started and then crashed.

I've had Win XP since it came out so I'm not much of a help there. Readme only mentions WinXP. At least NewCol-VCPP that I downloaded did come with the necessary libraries (vcredist_x86.exe) I think but haven't tried it yet. The Mingw version does not need extra libraries but is slow, have you tried that one?

Not all nations seem to work (choosing Holland dropped me to desktop) but at least choosing French works. There is not much of a game there yet. You start with number of units, colonies and ships and can move units around, test some battles, check cities and build stuff and explore the world (some 2 million tiles total. It includes whole world map.). That's pretty much all there is atm. Hopefully next version will have more functionality and is more stable.

FreeCol is currently most complete version of the remakes (It has AI and can be won or lost) but I don't know if there's new enough JavaVM available for Win98 to run it.

@Toni : I have posted on SourceForge mentioning that I may be able to contribute towards the graphic department of FreeCol but first I need to find a place where I can attach or upload any work that I do. The trouble is you cannot attach a file in SourceForge except at the tracker which is basically for bug reporting purpose only.

Is there an easier way to upload and/or attach file on SourceForge?

@Toni : I have posted on SourceForge mentioning that I may be able to contribute towards the graphic department of FreeCol but first I need to find a place where I can attach or upload any work that I do. The trouble is you cannot attach a file in SourceForge except at the tracker which is basically for bug reporting purpose only.

Is there an easier way to upload and/or attach file on SourceForge?

As far as I know, there's no real way to actually attach files to forum posts in Source Forge. You could how ever upload the files somewhere else (your own web space, one of the free file hosting services etc. you could also ask someone else to host them) and paste link to the file into the forum post. You could also contact one of the developers and ask them for email address where you could send them. The developers themselves probably do most of their sharing thru SVN(Subversion) and use e-mails for the rest.

You'll probably get better and more precise answer if you post the question in FreeCol Forums. (I did not find your post unfortunately, did you post it somewhere else or do you use different user name there?)

Ah, I post it under the same name in SourceForge but not as a separate post but as a response to a post called Bugs in 0.7.3 :)

I guess I will work on something then maybe email it to one of the developers. Thanks for the information!

According to new preliminary roadmap, next version of FreeCol (SF) will be released tomorrow.

New Roadmap

-----

Objective: Bugfixes.
Release: Wednesday, June 11th

-----

Objective: Make the game easier to modify
Release: Friday, July 11th

- Allow the game to be customized using XML-files.
- Support different sets of graphics.
- A file format for packaging changes to graphics and rules.
- Units now slide between tiles while moving.
- Sound effects for dragoons, artillery capturing a colony, building
complete, church and blacksmith.
- New sound effects for artillery and buying/selling goods.
- Short music clips for Aztecs, English and fountain of Youth
- Named regions and nicer placement of native settlements.
- New nations added: Portuguese, Swedish, Danish and Russian
- Games with up to eight European players are now supported.

-----

Objective: Improve stability
Release: Thursday, July 24th

-----

Objective: Improve stability
Release: Thursday, August 7th

-----

Objective: Improve graphics and audio
Release: August 2008

- New background images, borders and buttons.
- Implement feature requests from our users.
- Add more sound effects and music.
- Unit attack animations.

------

Objective: Improve the computer players
Release: November 2008

- Add personalities and better strategy to computer opponents.
- Add features for admin (kick player, restart game etc.)

------

Objective: Campaigns and scenarios
Release: February 2009

- Support triggers and events for scenario development.
- Extend the map editor to support scenarios.
- Backward compatibility for savegames will be assured after this release.
- Create a few scenarios.

------

Objective: Improve gameplay
Release: April 2009

- Implement feature requests from our community.
- Balance the advantages of the different nations.
- Create some campaigns.
- Improve AI.

------

Objective: Easier customization of the game.
Release: July 2009

- Extend the map editor and create editors for units and terrain.
- Add other features simplifying modding.

------

Objective: Improve graphics and audio
Release: October 2009

- Add more sound effects.
- Add skins for the colony panel and the Europe panel.

-----

Objective: The final polish :)
Release: December 2009

- Add the remaining sfx and music.
- Use more illustrations and background images.

Everyone who have not played original Colonization should try out FreeCol now that official sequel is on it's way to see what's it all about.

Come to think of it, why did noone decide to make Colonization as a mod project for Civ 4 (before we found out today/yesterday that 2K is doing it)???

Several people did. For instance Jeckel, Dale, and I all wanted to make different versions of Colonization, depending on our "vision" for the game. What stopped us until now was something that could mimic the original resource system. It wasn't until the past few months that a mod even remotely similar was developed, and that was just for oil. Last month I managed to make it work for different resources, but the new game is already coming out, so there's no point in a separate scenario now. :)

Top Bottom