Fantasy/Mythology Mods in Civ5

Pazyryk

Deity
As a long-time player of FFH (played it continuously from 0.23) and a FFH modmodmodder, I thought I should tell folks here about happenings in Civ5 modding.

Updated list on September 19, 2013. I'm just adding all the new ones (or ones I missed before) at the top of the list. I don't know much about these, but some look very good...

1. A Mod of Ice and Fire
  2. Civilizations of Warcraft.
  3. Heroes of Might and Wisdom.
  4. Lord of the Rings (1650,2950 scenarios).
  5. The History of Three Kingdoms. This one has been out for a year but there was a big update recently.
  6. Faerun Scenario. Finally a Civ5 mod that is starting to add new fantasy units: mages, druids, giants, assassins, clerics, paladins, demons and.... dragons! Has an interesting map (of course) and replaces the Civ5 social policy system with schools of magic. It is the most "complete" fantasy mod for Civ5.
  7. Éa. This is a fairly ambitious project of mine (read: lots of new mechanisms to debug and balance). We are on v15+ of the alpha now, with the early to mid-game playing quite well (imho of course). Almost everything is different than base Civ5. It differs from Civ1-4 in several ways too: your civ name is gained based on your achievements or geography specific to each game (you only pick race at game start), and your leaders are derived from great people and can be replaced over time. The lore and logic of Éa are initially hidden from player and only revealed through game mechanisms like prophecies and meeting gods.
  8. Land of Aramwyen. This is a new one that prompted me to update this post. I don't know much about it yet. One thing I like in concept is that Zaelon appears to have discarded the tech tree. That's pretty daring, but if you think about it, the tech tree is a major "flavor breaker" for fantasy Civ games (including FFH imho). It forces all civs to compete for tech advancement when, really, your orcs should be out smashing skulls instead. So I'll be interested in how this plays out.
  9. Game of Thrones. I don't know much about this except that Kwadjh made some of the earliest fantasy units for Civ5 (Dragon and others). I believe the mod is active and working, though there are not many posts in the last few months.

There is also a major "community mod effort" with Chronicles of Adea. Hopefully we will have an alpha for that soon. Sadly, Age of Mythology has gone inactive.

On a technical note: there has been a series of major breakthroughs on modding Civ5 3D art assets. This has been the major hurdle for Civ5 fantasy mods. So if you want to make a modding impact, go make some Civ5 fantasy units!

Jun 5 update: Yay!, we finally have a fantasy unit! (Well, not quite the first, but the first of a lot to come, I hope...) Current tutorial thread for how to do this is here.

None of these mods will ever replace FFH, of course. There's no way any of us will ever match Kael's detailed and compelling lore. But who knows what will develop over time? I always think it would have been cool to play FFH1 back when it had Washington as a leader.

Thank you for posting this. I check out CiV mods every now and then, and always come back to FFH. It is nice to know what to look out for.

Good luck on your mod! What is Ea? Something you created?

Edit: I read through some of your documentation. You are really doing some complex stuff. It looks like it will be a lot of fun.

If you need a writer or just someone to bounce ideas off of, I'd love to help.

I'm working on some civ-customization/specialization mechanisms that I don't think exist even in Civ4 modding. For example, although you pick your race at game start, your civ name and all traits are gained in-game.

Something similar to gaining traits exists in modmods of FfH as an 'emergent' trait, that allows you to gain one of other traits later.
Also, 'vanilla' FfH has adaptative trait, which allows a little customization of your civ.

Going further along this lines sure would be fun.

Yes, it's my own world. The name was used by Tolkein (Eä - basically the material universe) and LeGuin (Éa - the first island created in Earthsea). Perhaps they borrowed it from the Babylonian god Ea (their version of Summarian Enki) who is associated with water and creation, among other things. I'm borrowing from many sources but it is my own creation.

I'd like to see some other posters over there. I have two fairly tough commentators in the thread. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to see others who want to bounce creative ideas back and forth.

Something similar to gaining traits exists in modmods of FfH as an 'emergent' trait, that allows you to gain one of other traits later.
Also, 'vanilla' FfH has adaptative trait, which allows a little customization of your civ.

Going further along this lines sure would be fun.

I believe it's novel to have a civ actually gain its name in game, based on their achievements, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, my mod uses a lot of different mechanisms (traits, policies, and a "wide" tech tree) to encourage civ customization as the game progresses. And I'm adding a lot of AI (full control of techs/policies) so that AI civs will use the system properly and specialize. And yes, all of this is possible without dll.

yes, I think other things than gaining a trait IS novel
and when I buy civ 5 finally, I would gladly try your mod

Yes, it's my own world. The name was used by Tolkein (Eä - basically the material universe) and LeGuin (Éa - the first island created in Earthsea). Perhaps they borrowed it from the Babylonian god Ea (their version of Summarian Enki) who is associated with water and creation, among other things. I'm borrowing from many sources but it is my own creation.

I'd like to see some other posters over there. I have two fairly tough commentators in the thread. Nothing wrong with that, but it would be nice to see others who want to bounce creative ideas back and forth.

I believe it's novel to have a civ actually gain its name in game, based on their achievements, but I'm not sure about that. Anyway, my mod uses a lot of different mechanisms (traits, policies, and a "wide" tech tree) to encourage civ customization as the game progresses. And I'm adding a lot of AI (full control of techs/policies) so that AI civs will use the system properly and specialize. And yes, all of this is possible without dll.

I'd be interested to hear about exactly what you're doing; My plans for E'iten involve some similar things. :p

I'd be interested to hear about exactly what you're doing; My plans for E'iten involve some similar things. :p

I've seen little snippets about E'iten but haven't found a thread on it (I wasn't even sure if it was V or IV). Let me know if I should add something in the OP.

My thread (linked above) already has quite a bit of detail on Éa, and I'm adding new documentation every week or so. Come on over and ask any specific questions in the mod thread.

Figured it would be this year, and 2K Greg has been hinting at "something big" for a while. There was also a fresh promise for dll ("months away") in December. I suspect that the two are connected: clean up legacy Civ4 code and get all that non-functional code finally working for the expansion. This should breath new life into Civ5 modding.

I was involved with it for a while (franky group) but stopped checking on it due to the lack of DLL (tired of waiting). I had thought it was meant for the end of the year, rather than the beginning.

We're debating moving to Civ5 now actually. Much prefer their religion implementation to what I was going to use; I couldn't actually use theirs, even if I helped provide some of the ideas, as it wasn't released yet. Few other things like that scattered through the E'iten design.

My best guess about the endless dll delay has always been that the code is a total mess, with legacy Civ4 stuff, not-quite-implemented features (to go into first expansion), and generally rushed programming. That could also account for specific items that seem to be hard-coded in dll that by all reason ought to be modable (like icon art). I mean, for crying out loud, they built me an entire DB system (light-years beyond Civ4 modding) but then I can't add an icon. The popular alternative that they are actually conspiring against modders seems less likely to me. Not sure if you can confirm or deny any of this as part of the franky group.

But if my assessment is at least partially correct, then we should see a lot of improvement with the expansion.

No longer called Eden? :(

and stop it valk, no calling dibs on mechanics! :nono:

:p

So Eden and Eiten are two separate projects? Or two different takes of the same one? ;)

NO ONE CAN ONE UP THE HORSE ARCHER!!!!!!

Spoiler :
nice link

Top Bottom