FAQ for Civ5 players with Mac computers

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Here is a list of some commonly asked questions - and the answers - relating to installing and running Civ5 on a Mac.

0. Will my Mac run Civ5?
See this thread for details of the system requirements, and some related discussion.

1. Where can I buy Civ5 for Mac?
You can buy Civ5 on a DVD in a retail store, or you can buy it as a download from Aspyr's GameAgent site or from Steam.
If you have already purchased and registered the PC version then you should be able to download the Mac version free of further charge.
You can also by the Civ5 Campaign edition in Apple's Mac AppStore. This is NOT supported by Steam, and so it' a Mac-only option. The good news is it's licensed to run on all Macs you own under the same iTunes account.

2. What's all this about Steam Registration?
When you buy Civ5 on disk or online you will have to register your copy online with Steam before you can play it for the first time. The only exception to this is the Campaign Edition available from Apple's Mac AppStore. Steam registration allows you to download and play both the Mac and PC versions. Once it is registered, you can play the game offline. Details in post #5 below.

3. What is the current version of Mac Civ5?
The AppStore version is 1.0.3.144 as of December 18, 2013
The Steam version is 1.0.3.276 as of October 27, 2014

The two versions appear to use the same save file format.

The current Windows version was patched in October to version 1.0.3.276
This patch was released for the Mac Steam version on October 27.

Cross platform multiplayer will ONLY work between the Steam versions.

Additional Scenario "Conquest of the New World Deluxe" was released as a free download for both versions on February 4, 2014.

4. Can I install mods in the Mac version?
You can download existing mods and install them manually in the Steam version, but you will need to make some changes to your Civ5 software, as it is not set up to allow mods to be installed. You cannot currently use the in-game mod browser to find online mods, and the current version does not read .Civ5Mod files. They have to be unpacked.

The Civ5 Campaign Edition in the Apple Mac AppStore currently appears to be incapable of running mods, though this is under investigation.

Full instructions for installing and running a typical mod are given here.

5. Can I write my own mods?
Yes and no. For non-graphical mods you can use any text editor to write or modify the .lua and .xml files that are used to create mods. You can then write a .modinfo file - another text file that describes your mod and lists its files - and you can use Ez7z to package it as a .Civ5Mod file for Windows users. You cannot run the SDK tools, though, as they are only available for Windows. So you can't process graphical mods, and you can't submit your mod to the public library to be browsable in-game.

6. Can I play network games with PC players?
Steam Mac version 1.0.3.144 is compatible with the current Windows version, so cross-platform play will work.

The Mac AppStore version only supports cross-platform play on a LAN when the AppStore and Windows versions are the same.

7. Can I play the Windows version on my Mac and avoid the above limitations?
Sure. If you have Windows installed in a Bootcamp partition, and you have already registered a Mac or Windows copy of Civ5, you can download the Windows version from Steam and run it there. You may also be able to run it in a Parallels or VMWare virtual machine, or in a Crossover/WINE environment, although the performance will not be as good and you may suffer some graphics problems.

8. Can I stop the intro video playing?
Details are in this post. There is now an in-game setting to disable the movie.

9. What are the differences between the Steam and AppStore versions of Civ5?
General information is here. The user data - saves, mods, the .ini files - are saved in the ~/Library/Containers/Application Support/ folder. Details of changes in the way you enable the Mods menu in the AppStore version are here. At this time, all the Steam DLC is available for the Steam version. The AppStore version comes with some built-in DLC, and you can buy additional DLC packs using in-app purchasing - but this is only supported as of OS X 10.7 (Lion).
Mods appear to work with the Steam version, with extra configuration. Mods do not currently appear to work with the AppStore version.

10. Can I transfer saved games between Mac and Windows versions of Civ5?
This is not supported by the Steam Cloud system for transferring saves. However, you can do it manually, by copying the save file via USB stick, Dropbox, email, shared drive etc. Find the Saves folder, where the files are stored, as follows:

On the Mac:
Steam: ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Saves/single/
AppStore: ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign Edition/Saves/single/

On Windows XP (other versions of Windows may vary):
My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single\

Note that Civ5 updates have frequently changed the file format, so you can only be sure of opening a Windows save if your Mac Civ5 is at the same version as the Windows one.

11. Where did the MainMenu.lua file go?

The game software in Steam has turned into an application package, using the same package as the App Store version. So you have to open the package to find the scripts and other Assets files. See [Full instructions for installing and running a typical mod are given for details.

Q12. Where did the Assets go in version 1.0.1.674 or .705?
The Assets files are all located in the application bundle. That's always been the case in the App Store version, but now the Steam version uses the same bundle.

Select the application file - ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/sid meier's civilization v/Civilization V.app for Steam - and select the Finder's File->Open Package menu option. Then navigate to Contents/Home/assets/ within the package. All the assets files are in there. There's some Gods & Kings stuff in Contents/Home/assets/DLC/Expansion

Q13. I've enabled the MODS menu but I still can't see my installed mods. Help!
Check out
this thread

Q14. I have Civ5 Campaign Edition v1.0.1.674 or .705. What Happened to App Support Folder??
Apple Sandboxing happened. Look in ~/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support.

Q15. How do I take screenshots in the Mac versions?
The usual screenshot options in MacOS work as normal. I use cmd-shift-3 or 4 for whole screen or selection, with or without the control key to put it on the clipboard or desktop.

You can also use cmd-tab to switch to Preview if it's running in the background, and use the File->Screenshot options in Preview.

I'm a little confused. Point 2 above seems to read as if I don't need to run Steam to run Civ 5. Do I or do I not have to run Steam to run Civ 5?
Thanks

You have to run Steam, but you can do so without being connected to the Internet. When you start it up you are warned that it can't connect, and you have the option to run in offline mode. This is obviously useful if you are playing on a laptop and travelling.

You have to run Steam, but you can do so without being connected to the Internet.

Alan: That idea appeals to me. Being connected to the internet all the time has to be using resources of some kind, so how do I prevent Steam from connecting to the internet? I have a cable modem so I am physically connected to the internet all the time. How do I stop this one app from connecting? Thanks :cool:

In Steam, select the menu item Account->Go Offline.

Full details from Steam's support page on the subject are:

Using Offline Mode on a Mac.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your Mac:
  1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
  2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
  3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
  4. Go to Steam > Preferences to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected
  5. From the main Steam window, go to the Account menu and select Go Offline
  6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to continue.

guys, what is the latest mac civ 5 version? 1.0.9.xxx? right?

also, where can i look to check whether new mac version or patch coming out?

thanks guys

guys, what is the latest mac civ 5 version? 1.0.9.xxx? right?

Wrong. Question #3 in the first post now says 1.0.1.275a

Latest version from Steam, as of Feb 8 2012, is 1.0.1.511.

New version 1.0.1.674 and Gods & Kings expansion released.
June 19 in North America, June 22 in Rest of World

If I want to run the Winwdows version via wine, how do I access the windows version through steam? Is there an option somewhere to force download the win ver? Or do I have to download it via bootcamp/fusion and somehow get the win ver to the osx side?

I imagine you would have to run Steam in WINE, then download it from there. I've never had any luck running stuff in WINE, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

ok i got the mods button to appear. now about getting the actual mods in question. I understand that clicking subscribe in workshop will not download the mod. If, however, I installed steam through wine, THEN subscribed... would the mod be downloaded somewhere that I could snag? Or would it be in an incompatible format since I got it while on the windows side?

If you mean in the Mac version - no, you can't download Workshop mods directly to the Mac. Some mod makers provide download links to their mods as .zip files or .civ5mod files. You need to download and expand these and put the resulting folder in the MODS folder in your Civ5 system.

If you mean in the Mac version - no, you can't download Workshop mods directly to the Mac. Some mod makers provide download links to their mods as .zip files or .civ5mod files. You need to download and expand these and put the resulting folder in the MODS folder in your Civ5 system.

Mission accomplished. Got InfoAddict to show in Mods. Enabled it... and now. I'm going to bed. lol. Thanks for all your help.

I'm new to Civ 5; I haven't played any Civ games for since Civ 2 nearly a decade ago so please forgive my ignorance. I'm also new to the here so please forgive me if I go over old stuff. I've been reading through some stuff and it looks like world builder won't work on the Mac, but I was wondering if I could create a map on a PC and transfer it to my Mac. I'm guessing I can if, per question 10, I can transfer saved games.

As far as I know any Civ5 map or mod or game save file created on a PC should work on the equivalent Mac version.

Windows version 1.0.1.705 has been released and we await a similar patch for the Mac versions. FAQ post updated.

As far as I know any Civ5 map or mod or game save file created on a PC should work on the equivalent Mac version.

yeah I've confirmed this. The only thing is, I don't know where to find the non-workshop version for a lot of the mods. Mod developers have entire threads dedicated to their mod. On some I see the latest version at the top of the thread, but others I can't find. Am I not looking in the right place or do some not post the files on here?

A lot of them don't post the files anywhere except in the Workshop. It's probably up to the Mac players who want them to keep pestering the creators to publish their civ5mod and civ5map files outside of the Workshop.

I have done some investigation to see if it's possible to download a mod outside of the game software. If you know its internal Workshop file name, you can get it. But so far I haven't found a way to get at that file name without using the Windows version of Civ5 to download the file.

Top Bottom