Faq

This document was put together to try and get BUG approved @ RealmsBeyond. It does contain lots of feature rich information.

Attachments

• BtS Unaltered Gameplay Mod Approval Process.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 318
You should see the one I put together to get BlueMarble approved. It was longer. And most of the BUG document was just screenshots of the customizable Dom Adv.

I've just stumbled on the on-line help file for BUG. It is frecking awesome. I would beef up the section about the install, maybe include some commentary from EmperorFool about where the ini file can go (ie search path) but apart from that, it is really really good.

we were going to write a FAQ, but it's long since been put to the side line. If you'd like to compile one, that would be awesome!

Yes, we are in dire need of a FAQ for install issues. The problem is that the answers have changed radically lately, and I'm not sure even I could lay out the exact Qs and As anymore.

Q: I have no interface!
(is this a common problem now that we've fixed the registry thing)
A: File a bug @ SF.net.

Q: Options have no effect.
A: Reinstall; post shot of Config screen, O/S, install method

Q: Why can't I disable feature X?
A: File a bug @ SF.net.

Q: Will you please include mod Y?
A: File a feature request @ SF.net.

Q: This mod rulez. Where should I send my $$$?
A: Amnesty International.

Please post others and then maybe we can create a new thread (titled "Frequently Asked Questions") with an actual FAQ. We can also put that info into SF.net I think.

Can you please post or email me your file layout? Specifically, where do you have BUG Mod.ini located? I've never had his happen to me, so I'm totally perplexed. Someone else got it to work by reinstalling BUG, so maybe try that?

I have the same problem.

Does reinstalling BUG fix the problem? Did you install it as a mod or in CustomAssets? From installer or ZIP or SVN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balderstrom
*chuckle* Yeah even my BUG 2.30 wont change options.

I have the same problem.

Not sure if anybody else is still having this problem, but I just fixed it on my end. The problem I had was the BUG Mod.ini file was in the wrong place. I used the method where I install BUG into the my documents\beyond the sword\mods\BUG Mod folder. At that point, the ini file should be in the BUG Mod folder, not the BtS folder. Hope that helps if it's still an issue...

such a big mod and no official FAQ thread :eek:

my questions:
- is it multiplayer compatible with other BUG Mod users?
- if I install 'standard install' instead 'mod install' will it be multiplayer compatible with no BUG Mod users, with users without any mod, just clean 3.17?
- how to use it with blue marble?
- does it works with Solver's unofficial patch?
- could BUG Mod cause some out of sync during MP games?
- are you going to make a new installer with BUG 3.0 Multiplayer Scoreboard Fix included? or just every one who wanted to play MP must additionally download this fix...

it's all for now...
This topic has already 3600 views. I recommend you to make official FAQ thread and pin it :goodjob:

:p faq's are for babies.

Q: Multi-player compatible?
A: Yes, once you have fixed the scoreboard issue

Q: if I install 'standard install' instead 'mod install' will it be multiplayer compatible with no BUG Mod users, with users without any mod, just clean 3.17?
A: I would expect that you will get the 'different assets' warning

Q: how to use it with blue marble?
A: Surely we have answered this before - just install BM in your customassets as per suggested by BM people - BM and BUG have no conflicting files

Q: does it works with Solver's unofficial patch?
A: Sure - BUG doesn't have a DLL, so add any DLL you want

Q: could BUG Mod cause some out of sync during MP games?
A: unknown but I don't think so

Q: are you going to make a new installer with BUG 3.0 Multiplayer Scoreboard Fix included? or just every one who wanted to play MP must additionally download this fix...
A: Don't know.

Well at least at high resolutions (1900x1200) I had the problem, that fonts installed by BlueMarble were incompatible with promotion icons of units.

I could only solve that by installing BlueMarble with the 'themes'-checkbox unchecked.

Well at least at high resolutions (1900x1200) I had the problem, that fonts installed by BlueMarble were incompatible with promotion icons of units.

I could only solve that by installing BlueMarble with the 'themes'-checkbox unchecked.
from blue marble I'm using only terrains and leaderheads. all works fine but I have to reinstall blue marble. there should be info about that btw :p

Q: if I install 'standard install' instead 'mod install' will it be multiplayer compatible with no BUG Mod users, with users without any mod, just clean 3.17?
A: I would expect that you will get the 'different assets' warning
BUG Mod has turned off in that case, game works fine

Q: could BUG Mod cause some out of sync during MP games?
A: unknown but I don't think so

AFAIK the only place where BUG alters game data is the Unit Naming mod, and this is not done in a multiplayer-specific way. I suspect that this will not cause OOS errors, but I haven't tested this. If you find an OOS ever, please let us know.

Q: are you going to make a new installer with BUG 3.0 Multiplayer Scoreboard Fix included? or just every one who wanted to play MP must additionally download this fix...
A: Don't know.

Not for this one fix, but I've added some new stuff this last week and I'd like to stamp out a 3.1 fairly soon. Probably in a couple weeks. Mostly I want to see if any other big problems drop out of the 3.0 tree first. ;)

A: Surely we have answered this before - just install BM in your customassets as per suggested by BM people - BM and BUG have no conflicting files
If you're using BAT, BM terrain only shows up if you have both NoCustomArt = 0 and NoCustomAssets = 0 set in BAT Mod 1.0.ini.

Install BM with themes, then in CivScale choose the BM style from the drop down and change font size to what works for you (vanilla default is 1).

[...]
Install BM with themes, then in CivScale choose the BM style from the drop down and change font size to what works for you (vanilla default is 1).

There are also two options for this issue present in BUG mod.ini:

Code:
# defines the height in pixels of a standard text line. If you have problems that a info pane contains a scrollbar, you may adjust this value. 
# don't touch it unless you're sure what you're doing!!!
# default = 24
Pixel Per Line Type 1 = 24

# defines the height in pixels of a text line with a "bullet" in front. Those text lines are, for some reason, smaller than a standard text line.
# If you have problems that a info pane contains a scrollbar, you may adjust this value. 
# don't touch it unless you're sure what you're doing!!!
# default = 19
Pixel Per Line Type 2 = 19

You have to play around with these a little bit to get the Unit Info Tooltip right.

Top Bottom