1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Faramir corrupted by the Ring???

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Andu Indorin, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

So I'm browsing through the first reviews of The Two Towers at RottenTomatoes, and I come across this revelation in a film review from Christopher Null: "More perplexing is that in the book, Frodo is befriended by Boromir's brother and helped along his way by him. In the movie, the brother captures the hobbits, threatens them with death, and tries to take the ring!"

Say it ain't so! How then will the Faramir character play out in The Return of the King? What of heroic rearguard action at the opening of the siege of Gondor? What of the Pyre of Denethor? What of his recognition of the Return of the King in the Houses of Healing? Can all this still occur after he "tries" to take the One Ring?

2. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

Uh oh. I guess I'll wait until I see the movie to make judgements, but this doesn't sound good. Has RottenTomatoes had a sneak preview, or is this just a rumor?

3. Sultan Bhargash

Sultan Bhargash Trickster Reincarnated

It better not be true. Faramir was the best of men. This is slander.

4. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

:eek:

Is this possible? Are you sure its not Eomer?

5. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

Not believing in this...
    Can you giva a link to see the full review?!?

6. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheLordoftheRingsTheTwoTowers-1118285/about.php

7. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Do you trust someone called "RottenTomatoes"?

8. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

Hey, they are not too far off: Denethor *knows* the ring is on the way 8or at least suspects it), he *wnats* it and Faramir *is* under strict orders to 'slay or bind all who wander in Ithilien without leave' (quoted from memory).

The fact that he lets the Hoobits go is proove of his understanding AND greatness. That a movie will play wiht this a little - to be expected.

But I cannot believe thay will turn either Faramir or Eomer into a bad guy - after all they DID let Boromir lust after the ring and try to take it. I expect they have cut back on Denethors double-role......

9. jpowers

jpowers Emperor

Since they're saving Shelob for the third movie, I don't think they'll have time for much detail with the Faramir character. He's probably just a one-off in the second film.

10. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

Especially since they are saving Shelob they will have time for Gondor - with all it#s important characters...

I hope :rolleyes:

11. onejayhawk

onejayhawk Afflicted with reason

Dont get to excited. From the quote, we only know what ORDERS Faramir has. This is consistent with the book. We also know that Frodo goes on to Mordor, so Faramir must make the right choice between Duty and Conscience.

J

12. TheStinger

TheStinger Warlord

I think it shows Faramir is tempted but does the right thing.

Even Boromir redeemed himself.

IN LOTR basicaly good characters stay good

13. Panda

Panda Metal head

Threads containing possible and/or definite movie spoilers should always carry a warning in the thread title !!! :nono:

14. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

the film will stick to the basic plot of the book, don't fear.

15. Andu Indorin

Andu Indorin Retired Druid

This is the link to the actual review cited:

Null's Review

Granted, all of these reviews are .com reviews, rather than more "respected" reviews of the traditional media. However, unlike most reviewers, Null seems acquainted with the LOTR as a book; and therefore his comment struck me an issue of interpretation that may portend further problematic interpretations. (Though I've been lenient in my "purist" criticisms thus far ...)

16. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

I'll just go see the movie and then decide whether or not to kill the director who messed up a good book this bad. But seriously, I don't think Faramir will be corrupted by the ring in the movie. From what I've heard and seen (movietrailers and magazines, etc.) they've stuck to the book pretty tight!

17. Remorseless

Remorseless Relentless

Will be reviewing said movie for my newspaper on the 18th -- will let you know.
    But they better not have screwed with Faramir. Sheesh, he and Eomer are my favorite characters -- very much in the tradition of Cincinnatius.

18. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

it'll probably make the story better. there was too much "valiant", for the lack of a better word, in the books.

19. GerrardCapashen

GerrardCapashen Benalish Master-at-Arms

I disagree. Faramir was a far more virtuous man than his brother Boromir, and just because Boromir was possessed by a momentary lust for the Ring does not mean that his whole family is susceptible to the corruption of the Ring, although Denethor certainly would be. The Lord of the Rings is not meant to be a moral debate; good and evil are clearly defined in it and the whole story is meant to be an epic battle between good and evil, and this simplicity is part of the beauty of the story.

20. sween32

sween32 The Worthless

yeah, but that is what mankind is SUPPOSED to be in middle earth. they're strong, determined, but weak in the brain and easily presuaded by greed. that's what makes aragorn so special. having half a dozen men who are not effected basically makes the corruption of the ring towards men basically nullified. it's important in films, and should have been more important in the books, just how easily greed gets to the human brain, thus having more effect on the power of the ring.

boromir was my favorite character in the story, and i think he captured the essence of mankind perfectly.