1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Farewell to the Old....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Since the end of WW2 the rate of change in the things we use and how we do things has been changing at a pretty fast clip. Some changes may have only happened in parts of the world and not in others. In other cases tech has allowed a previous progression to skip steps

Some I've noticed are:
    • Fuses have become circuit breakers
    • 3D printers now have scaled to use concrete and print houses
    • Protons, neutrons and electrons have been replaced by quarks and leptons
    What have you seen that is interesting?

2. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

* fraternising between the last smokers becomes stronger
    * not many people collect post stamps anymore
    * public talking becomes more and more moving air

3. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Connecting to the internet used to make those fun phone line sounds but now it doesn't anymore

That's all I got

Birdjaguar and shadowplay like this.
  4. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Where people talking face to face is the norm and not the exception.
    I saw a group texting each other while in the same room. Now if you're in a bar with LOUD music I can understand, but this was in a reasonably quiet place.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  5. Peuri

Peuri Game

I'm still rather youngish, so I don't have much to say, but one interesting thing I've heard change is the way people talk about the Internet in my native language. When I was younger, and the commercial Internet was becoming a thing, people talked about going into the Internet, because you had to call with a modem. Now people just are on the Internet constantly.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. Synsensa

Synsensa Warlord Retired Moderator

The people most afraid of the internet became the people most manipulated by it.

AdamCrock, tjs282 and Birdjaguar like this.
  7. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I mean you can't "say" memes to each other lol
    Well you can but it's a lot more efficient to just send the meme

Facebook used to be a thing for like college students to connect and socialize and now it's a device for poisoning the minds of Baby Boomers with frightening efficiency

Birdjaguar and rah like this.
  8. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I'm just thankful I didn't have it growing up for a few reasons.
    There are not a bunch of embarrassing pictures or quotes of mine out there.
    I might have recognized the bullying that I was subject too and let it make me feel like more of a victim.
    (heck, I grew up as a white male in the 60's and 70's, just how much of a victim could I have been. )

Some things were just more fun to learn the hard way, instead of just googling them.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Synsensa

that's gonna be a yeet from me, dawg

let's fre e sh avac ado this joint

Eh. Anyone who tells you that negative behaviour against you at a young age was meaningless due to your gender or skin colour is wrong. What happens to you in childhood creates permanent problems or advantages for the rest of your life.

You may have "won the lottery", so to speak, but you're an individual and someone being cruel to you is still someone being cruel to you.

Valka D'Ur and Birdjaguar like this.
  10. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I've actually thought a lot about the pictures thing. Some friends of mine have had children in the last few years and they post a lot of pictures on Facebook. I think this actually raises considerable ethical issues because if I were in that situation, grew to some level of self-awareness, and realized my baby pictures were all over the internet I would be absolutely furious. I understand that like parents get a lot of joy out of kids and want to share that, but it seems like there should also be some consideration of the fact that babies cannot consent to this stuff. I was reading an article about child "influencers" on Insta whose parents literally exhaustively plan every aspect of their lives to be a sponsored post and it just straight-up disgusted me, I don't normally play the role of the curmudgeon but I gotta say that if exhaustively documenting your life (let alone your five-year-old child's life) on social media to build a "brand" is the future then let's go back to the past...

Valka D'Ur, Hrothbern and rah like this.
  11. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

But unless you were a jock, you were bullied. It didn't seem as if you were being singled out for it.
    Yeah, it still bad, but I don't feel like it ruined my life. I actually think I was stronger because of it.
    And love that fact that I was more successful then almost all of those that bullied me.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  12. Synsensa

I feel there's a difference between posting a cute picture of little Sophia spilling a bowl of peas and turning your child into a paid commodity. :lol:

Gotta be honest with you, that description either paints schooling in the 60s as a hellscape or it implies your definition of bullying has a fairly low bar.

I'm leaning towards the former, of course. It's my understanding back then something like a teacher beating a student was cool beans, at least in Europe. My dad's teacher in Belgium had a metal ruler she'd slap kids with.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  13. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

Books get dated. I'm reading this mindless suspense novel that when it was written was probably 'cool hacker stuff' but somehow the protagonist on the run using his 'muffs' to log his laptop onto the internet in phone booths is too quaint to be really suspenseful.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Yeah an really occasional picture maybe. Parents gotta have their pride. ( I never posted a picture of my Daughter) But then I don't post many pictures of anything. I thought the one I posted here was probably too much.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  15. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

The difference strikes me as one of degree, not of kind.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  16. civvver

civvver Chieftain

The way we consume entertainment is entirely different.

Digital entertainment is ubiquitous and on demand and then you go on a forum to discuss it. I kind of miss the old days where you watched a show tuesday night cus that's the night it was on, and then wednesday discuss around the water cooler. Even sports, viewership seems down cus you can just consume the highlights and box scores in less time. Though I don't miss trying to schedule life around air times or trying to tape stuff with a vcr. On demand is way better in that regard. Show releases just don't feel as special when netflix drops an entire season all at once to binge.

And I do worry that anyone born after 2000 simply will not know how to go moderate to long periods of time without stimulus. I'm guilty of it too, my kids get their fire tablets on road trips. Not short trips, I make them talk or we listen to the radio together. I try not to do it at dinner. But I remember old family vacation road trips were just me and my thoughts a lot of the time. I'd make up adventure stories in my head. I started to actually look forward to that quiet time. I wonder if constant entertainment will stifle their creativity.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Warlord

I remember when there were 3 tv channels to choose from and if you missed a program or watched something on the other side you had to wait for a repeat (in a year or 2) to watch it. Even VCRs hadn't been invented.
    Next day everybody would be talking about the same program.

The days before mobiles when you had to look for a phonebox and hope it hadn't been vandalised.

When politicians didn't all begin their careers as smart-suited young men who had worked in the media or public relations or for a thinktank.

Silurian, hobbsyoyo, tjs282 and 2 others like this.
  18. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Yeah before there was a FOX. :lol: :lol: I remember those days.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

I remember ESPN having so little programming that when they got the US rights to the World Cup they just ran the games over and over and over. And MTV when all they did was run music videos non-stop.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  20. Lohrenswald

Lohrenswald stupid idiot

Honestly I feel people are still trapped in the past

pretty much every time I turn off the TV (which I feel I'm the only one in the family to do), my mother points out that when she was young you couldn't turn the tv on and off willy nilly because it'd like mess with the screen. But the screen technology is different now.
    And people her age and a bit younger are like always mad they don't get to say Checkoslovakia or Jugoslavia anymore (they love pointing out "In my time")

Even on like internet culture. People adjusted to like the normes and memes of 2000's decade, and they can't like comprehend that all that was dumb fashion stuff that was to be discarded for new stuff (one of the many terrible things about tvtropes I noticed is how it's littered with dated references, and how it's sort of written in a "now" that's actually the past)

People today like for example associate typewriters with like the ancient and longlasting, but also that was a new annoying piece of **** you had to deal with once

not saying you need to like everything new, but if you're decided you don't want to pay attention to new stuff, you should like embrace pre-industrial society living

Birdjaguar likes this.