1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Farms on hills?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dactyl, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

Plant forests, build lumbermills.

Or, if you can finish a district, use your citizens to work there.

2. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Planting + Lumbermills are 2 Builder charges. SInce planting woods come so late and Conservation is almost a leaf civic in the tree, the extra 1 cog won't make much of a difference. District yields also aren't worth much if you have tiles to work.

Back to the question, if you need food or housing, farm elsewhere, build Granaries/Water Mills and divert trade routes. If you got a coastal city with food issues, then you probably should also build a Harbor, which gives food and housing. You can also use Fish and Crabs too.

3. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

I agree... but it's almost as relevant as talking about farms on hills.

If you don't have the production to build something that will contribute to your civilization, better to use those citizens for a more specialized yield like research or culture. (assuming you were able to build a campus/theatre in the first place)

4. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

Hmm, I probably would divert some trade routes and chop around to finish a district, and then spam its project. But then, it's hardly good to choose a place that have almost no production whatsoever.

5. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Only grow a city to the point of good tile yields for best results IMO.
    Do you even bother with a granary unless its good production.

6. MyOtherName

MyOtherName Emperor

Right; one of the points I should have made explicit is that the main reason district tiles 'aren't worth much' is because they don't generate food.

However, not generating food isn't much of a disadvantage when the city is already as big as it needs to be -- in fact, it's even a good thing since it will slow/stop city growth so that it won't cut into your amenities.

(and I'm mainly thinking campus/theater here; I'm not sure I'd be so positive about commercial hub or industrial zone)

7. sugerdady87

sugerdady87 Warlord

I went back to the Civ 5 style of farming everything.

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

9. DavDarkelf

DavDarkelf Chieftain

The suggestions are bad in my opinion. They didn't even update it so that Australia suggests building Outback stations rather than Farms

10. johnniewalk

johnniewalk Chieftain

Because its suggesting you the right thing you have to do to complete your challenges..

11. Leyrann

Leyrann Deity

For me it always suggests outback stations.

12. xcrissxcrossx

xcrissxcrossx Prince

It's a personal preference. If your city desperately needs food, make a farm. If you want to connect more farms together for the adjacency food bonus, build a farm. You could build a farm to help your city grow faster and later on change it into a mine if you think it's worth the builder charges, but I wouldn't recommend this.

Besides these, you're pretty much always better with a mine.