1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fascist symbol on Napoleon's loading screen

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Haig, May 12, 2016.

1. Haig

Haig Deity

Cheers, just noticed that on the top-left corner of Nappy's loading screen there is the fascist symbol of Musslolini's italian empire, an axe inside a bundle of wood.

Always thought it was "Original art by Benito Mussolini, don't steal" but is there something more behind it's history and how it relates to France or Napoleon?

2. Battlehelm043

Battlehelm043 Warlord

You are partially right; that symbol is the Fascis. Which means bundle... It was from the Etruscan Civilization and passed to the Romans. Originally used to represent the magistrate or collective power, it has been used since them in many forms of government to represent collective power. The US House of Representatives has had this image behind the podium since the building was built. So too has the Roman Senate. The Italian Fascist movement took this as their symbol and the name of the symbol later was used to describe the Italian Fascist Party (Hence the name Fascis[t]). So to sum it up it was an Etruscan symbol borrowed by the Romans, the French and most other republics; then converted for use by the Italian Fascist Party... lol

Quoth the Raven likes this.
  3. Mesodius

Mesodius Warmonger

I don't really know how it relates to France, but the symbol is called the "fasces", and goes all the way back to ancient Rome. It was only later adopted as a symbol by Mussolini. I suppose Napoleon's France could also have adopted it as a symbol of authority.

4. Haig

Haig Deity

Thanks for answers!

5. Thurman Merman

Thurman Merman Chieftain

6. docbud

docbud Emperor

People actually notice this kind of stuff?

7. Montezuma II

Montezuma II Chieftain

Well the game's been out for nearly 6 years and this is just being noticed. Makes me wonder what else goes unnoticed.

8. HughFran

HughFran Prince

Well the load screen takes ages so I'm not suprised that they do lol. Personally I've never noticed it but then again, I rarely play as France!!

9. docbud

docbud Emperor

I guess I never pay attention to that kind of stuff. Maybe I should pay a little more attention.

10. Alleria

Alleria Chieftain

11. Skykiller

Skykiller Chieftain

This symbol is also used on the flag of the Canton (federated state) of St-Gallen in Switzerland.

12. sunbeam

sunbeam Warlord

On a related note the swastika has a history that goes Waaay back further than the Nazi party in Germany.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-26369329

Reading this you might think swastika use in design is something that arose almost totally from contact with India.

However I've read that you can find centuries old gravestones in Ireland with swastika designs - from a time when India was pretty obscure in that part of the world. Doing a casual google I also found articles about it's use in architecture dating back at least a thousand years, a lot in Russia actually.

Not one I find visually appealing on it's own merits, but if you ever see some reasonably old piece of stonework or building with one carved in it, don't think Nazi time travelers put it there.

Not a history expert, but since it was an Indoeuropean symbol, and most of us speak languages derived from Indoeuropean, well...

Just saying the world didn't just suddenly emerge in 1939 or something.

Quoth the Raven likes this.
  13. orasis

orasis Prince

It's not from Mussolini, it's from the Roman Empire. You can see legates carrying them.

Same thing with the right-hand salute we associate with Nazism, it was just copied by them. It's the 'Roman salute.'

14. orasis

orasis Prince

You can find Swastika's on every continent. The Aztec's (et al) used them as well.

15. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

Hi :)

This symbol is almost as old as the french republic. It was adopted in 1790.
    It means that French republic is "one and indivisible". It's still in use today.

16. x2Madda

x2Madda Prince

The game has a lot of little attention to detail that was present in past games (for the most part). In the past a lot of the easter eggs or interesting things were in the research tree quotes that you obtained upon learning a new tech.

Civ:BE has quite a lot of nifty tidbits as well but sadly none of them include a hidden, balanced version of the game :lol:

17. GTakeda

GTakeda Chieftain

Matches the historical matters in Civ V. Maybe next time they put an Hindu swastika as a religious symbol.

- Hello, I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

18. tbplayer59

tbplayer59 Chieftain

Hello. I'm pretty a newb to this game too... because it takes so long to play one game! LOL.

19. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Fasces was first used by the Etruscans. Mussolini just borrowed it.