Fast Diplo Strategy

killercane

Deity
I'm working on some marathon diplo games at Settler level and developing a strategy for them. In my most recent game on Tiny Great Plains, I managed to research Mass Media at 500 BC (but had no way to build the UN). My first question is: Does an engineer build the UN in one turn or does it just apply a number of hammers?

Generating an engineer seems to be pretty tough with a GP heavy early strategy and my thinking is to chop all the western forests for the UN when it is available, rush with an engineer, and/or buy the rest. Is this a viable method? So far I am getting plenty of Gr Scientists to research with, perhaps I can pop out some merchants to have a nice stash of gold to rushbuy the thing? Any ideas?

killercane said:
I'm working on some marathon diplo games at Settler level and developing a strategy for them. In my most recent game on Tiny Great Plains, I managed to research Mass Media at 500 BC (but had no way to build the UN). My first question is: Does an engineer build the UN in one turn or does it just apply a number of hammers?

So far, I like to farm 2 engineers for the UN.

Generating an engineer seems to be pretty tough with a GP heavy early strategy and my thinking is to chop all the western forests for the UN when it is available, rush with an engineer, and/or buy the rest. Is this a viable method? So far I am getting plenty of Gr Scientists to research with, perhaps I can pop out some merchants to have a nice stash of gold to rushbuy the thing? Any ideas?
On one hand, I think generating 1 engineer and pay cash for the rest is a good idea. I think I will try it someday. On the other hand, I don't like spending extra time in anarchy...would explain why did the 2 engineers on most of my diplomatic games.

On one hand, I think generating 1 engineer and pay cash for the rest is a good idea. I think I will try it someday. On the other hand, I don't like spending extra time in anarchy...would explain why did the 2 engineers on most of my diplomatic games.
I have been playing with Saladin so it would not be a big deal. I think that 2 engineers is too much to ask for. I think I will try to pollute my Great People Popper with some Engineer points early; surely I will pop one out. I am confident that I can configure a Great Merchant in as well as I had 2 scientists last game that were not used optimally.

Well pollution of the Great People City worked to a point, but even with gold from a Great Merchant and forest chops one Great Engineer is not enough. Moonsinger is right that you need 2.

Finished up in 460 BC with an earlier concentration on the Pyramids, Forge, and the Hanging Gardens to get my 2 engineers.

That's great!:goodjob: Do you think it can be improved any further (may be using a Financial civ)?

I think the UN can be built in 800 BC with a real good start, as it is possible to get to Mass Media that fast. I think I popped Mathematics from a hut in that game that helped research quite a bit.

As far as using a financial civ, I really dont know. Im going to experiment with Liz a bit now for some culture games so we will try her for fast research on a space game and the diplo front. I havent really played many non conquest/domination games to this point. That was my first UN win, and I still havent launched a space ship from an ancient start.

This game is certainly not Civ 3 as far as difficulty (they should give Deity AIs in Civ 4 24 warriors and 3 settlers to start!) but it does offer some different challenges. Though building the UN in the BCs should not be possible.

On settler level, I think Mansa Musa would be the best for diplomatic game. We really dont want to spend any turn in anarchy; also may not have enough time to generate 2 engineers. With Mansa Musa, we would have the option of using one engineer + cash + pop rush on the UN in one single turn.

Top Bottom