1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

faster harddisk

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by High_Elf_Lord-M, Dec 3, 2005.

1. High_Elf_Lord-M

High_Elf_Lord-M Chieftain

ever watched the HDD LED staying lit the whole time you play CIV4.
    it seems to run there more than from the ram>i have 750mb ram and civ4 has never used more than 500mb a game, so it shouldnt be using the page file.
    so it would seem to get a better preformance if you had a fast HDD.
    ive got a s**t hot pc and it struggles to play civ4 even with all the graphic options set to medium (i play huge maps!) but by the time you discover sattalites the game lags. ive tried various things to improve the preformance with no avial, so i think the anwser is a faster hardisk, i think mines 7800 surely faster than this would be available, maybe a super ata drive!

2. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

3. Xink

Xink King

Memory could be a factor.
    I had 1GB of memory and found Civ's memory usage went to around 700mb and now that I have gone to 2GB the memory usage has gone to just under 900mb. So I assume that the game will scale its memory usage to what is available. Yours is showing at around 500mb due to XP and the rest of your system needing the remaining memory. You will be using virtual memory a lot whilst playing, hence the hard drive activity.
    With 1GB I used to get a lot of hard drive usage but since moving to 2GB I now get very very little. I can alt and tab to other applications or run the Worldbuilder and then go back to the game with very little waiting or disk thrashing.
    Going to 2GB has helped to make this game a pleasure to play.

The rest of your hardware must, of course, be up to spec.