Fastest win?

tentaclemonster

Chieftain
Hey guys,

What's your fastest win? Turns/time it took? Strat utilized?

This game seems a good candidate for a speedrun. The game rewards you with a smaller REF for a fast burst of LB for a quick revolution.

After a few tries at a fast win, I got a 116 turn win in 1 hr 8 mins (easiest, normal pace, north america). Very improvable too.

Strat used:
1.Dutch, for their starting ship with 4 cargo spaces. Sail back to euro for a season scout and guns.
2.Place a settlement with a big fish(4+food water tile) and a lumber tile(at least 4+ yield tile). Food+lumber midtile is a big plus. gather food/lumber as needed with the 2 starting population
Build in this order:
PP for the two FF with a. faster euro travel time b. -cost for recruit in euro
school
printing press (your pioneer's tools will cover this)
rest in PP or MP
3. Use the scout to explore for as many treasure as possible, check indians for their needs of guns/horses
4. Use the merchant ship to trade with the indians, focusing on guns
5. After the 2nd FF joins, buy Stateman and Galleon from euro. Add the stateman to the work force in your one settlement. Start training 2 more in school after printing press is done.
6. Use merchant ship and galleon for trading guns/horses with indians. of course bring back treasure to euro with galleon
7. start LB production when the 2 statemen finish training, make sure you have enough food saved up.
8. start buying more immigrants in euro and turn them with dragoons, bring them to NA, but don't join the settlement.
9. Declare revolution as soon as possible. Should end up with more than enough dragoons to deal with the small 20ish REF

Worthy FF besides the first two: most LB adding FFs, FFs with benefits to dragoons
Taxes: Do not pay lump sums, deny tax increase if the goods party isn't guns/horses

I would imagine this strat will worth for the higher difficulties, if not better, due to the higher gold reserves of the indians.

Thoughts? Questions? Love to hear from you guys.

Had a decent attempt today, looks like sub 20 mins is definitely possible. However at the VERY end, the game glitched on me. The REF refuses to haul the rest of their army to the new world (8 soldiers or so, which would have been cakewalk for my ~13 promoted dragoons), a pretty common frustrating glitch. :(

Here's Attempt #1 3/3/10: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5mvjtleegwj/colonization.avi

Things to improve on:

1. Use keyboard shortcuts more
2. Just realized there's a load all button for units in Europe :p
3. More practice - APM is too low..
4. Lower graphics quality in-game, lag is distracting

Possible strat change:

Perhaps ditch the 2nd FF? The -25% cost of units in euro only saves 1250 gold, and takes 13 turns to gain the PP for. In which time I have to switch the 2 settler between wood/food/production - a lot of wasted time

Let me know what you guys think, and what I can do to improve on this.

Interesting challenge you've created for yourself there. . . .

Personally, I like the idea of winning in the fewest possible number of *moves* better than winning in the shortest amount of *time*, but at least you've proven that a game of Colonization does *not* need to take 10+ hours, as some people seem to think. I'm amazed that it can be won in less than half an hour.

Thanks for posting the vids. They're educational.

Uchdryd

Hi Tanta..

Your planning to win fast good but many hours spend on this game fro win.

Try this 16 minute win against me in multiplayer. I will compete for resources and cash, and cream you when you declare with my own invasion force.

Against decent opponents in mp, usually takes me @ 2 hours.

Top Bottom