Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Lisbon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters

conormcgarry

Warlord
What would you consider your favourite European city (stole the idea from that other thread bout europe! but i think cities can be more interesting than countries as a whole)

If the city isn't there, vote for other and tell us what it is and why its great.

Cheers!

Jämsä:D
But of those, Helsinki. Would vote for Prague but it's not in poll. (I know, other;))
Have been only in (big/important cities) Helsinki, Prague, Umeå, going to Tallinn in May (class trip).

Tallin, that's in Estonia. My brother was there last year, he got the ferry from Helsinki but he reckoned it wasn't that much cheaper than anywhere else in EU.

Originally posted by Ville
Have been only in (big/important cities) Helsinki, Prague, Umeå, going to Tallinn in May (class trip).

Umeå? Big? Important? :lol:

I would vote for Helsinki but I think it sucks. Stockholm is even worse, very poor night life. I voted Berlin.

Originally posted by conormcgarry
Tallin, that's in Estonia. My brother was there last year, he got the ferry from Helsinki but he reckoned it wasn't that much cheaper than anywhere else in EU.

Then he didn't go to the right places. It [bis[/b] cheap.

Last edited:
Which muppet voted for Dublin? Lord, he must be an alcoholic cos I can't find any other reason why they'd like it.

I voted for Paris just incase you were wondering...eh...

I was going to start a poll like this! Europe is incredible in the number of truly great cities it has. I don't think I could pick just one. To think, that list has 19 cities, yet still no Milan, Florence or Istanbul. The list could be endless!

We seem to have a poll like this one every six months or so :p

Globally, definitely Paris, though Venice is the most beautiful I have yet visited and London is probably more dynamic. I was disappointed by Vienna, but loved Prague. Apart from those, I've only visited Munich, Brussel and Edinburg on that list. A mention to that last one for the natural setting and the old medieval city :)

If Istanbul was an option, I'd pick it just for the historical importance. But since it aint, I voted Paris.

Originally posted by phoenix_night
I don't think I could pick just one. To think, that list has 19 cities, yet still no Milan...

I've never been there, but from those who have, including residents, the opinions go from not good at best, to really terrible and ugly...

Originally posted by MCdread
I've never been there, but from those who have, including residents, the opinions go from not good at best, to really terrible and ugly...

I've never been there, so I don't know. But I still can't choose...

What's Lisbon like then? Looks nice. :) What about the castle though? I heard it had to be renovated because of the earthquake? Was a lot of it destroyed?

What's Lisbon like then? Looks nice. :) What about the castle though? I heard it had to be renovated because of the earthquake? Was a lot of it destroyed?

The entire downtown, and like 80% of the total number of palaces, churches, etc. not to mention the residential houses. I don't think the castle was very affected though despite being in the hill right next to the most devastated area. Most buildings in this hill stayed on top I think.

As for the rest, well I'm not going to write a touristic brochure. :p You'll have to come here. ;)

As for the rest, well I'm not going to write a touristic brochure. :p You'll have to come here. ;)

I was hoping to this summer...:(

Maybe another time.

I was hoping to this summer...:(

Maybe another time.

At least you gave a few lessons yesterday to the scotts. ;) Were you one of those that had already bought a ticket?

At least you gave a few lessons yesterday to the scotts. ;)

:D

Were you one of those that had already bought a ticket?

No, people who did that are idiots. Really. People in Wales have been waiting for ages...some people seemed to forget that and think Wales could just walk the group and head over to Portugal (thanks to a few good results). Now I'll just have to support anyone playing those cheting Russians. :)

Now I'll just have to support anyone playing those cheting Russians. :)

We're playing them. :D

Where the hell is Prague?! Bad list.

Istanbul is my favorite European city.

I love Edinburgh too....it's small, quiet, sophisticated, clean, exciting and very, very beautiful. It was possibly the intellectual hub of the European enlightenment and centre of "Anglo-Saxon" literary culture in that age. It presently has the world's largest Arts Festival and is home to 2 of the world's top 20 largest banks. A large castle on a volcano, a mountain and acres of natural wilderness are all located in the city centre.

It's also great for Georgian architecture, Scottish history and meeting people from all over the world. It's the UK's top tourist attraction except London. It's by no means the greatest city in Europe; I'd never compare it with London, Paris, Rome or Istanbul; but it's definitely a city to be proud of.

The city definitely looks Scottish, but you'll here many English and American accents...and this is probably good, because the Edinburgh accent is quite horrible.

The city from Calton Hill

Princes Street

Statue of Sir Walter Scott

Castle and the Gardens on a christmas night

Arthur's Seat

Future Scottish Parliament

Dynamic Earth Science Centre in the city centre

Conormcgarry, your list of cities is funny ;). How did you pick those cities, is it the first which came in your mind or is it those you like the most ? :)

Well, my favourite cities in Europe are... pfew ! There's a lot of them ! I'd say Paris, Berlin, Dresden, Hamburg, Amsterdam, Prague, Barcelona, Cracow, Vienna, London, Budapest, Rome, Florence, Brussels, Marseille, and Copenhagen. Well, I can judge those only because I've been there. I haven't been in Greece, Turkey, Russia and Portugal.

As we must chose only one... well, I've picked my beloved city of Paris where I've grown up. :p

Top Bottom