1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favored Civilisation

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by RussiaWarMachin, May 3, 2003.

1. RussiaWarMachin

RussiaWarMachin Chieftain

Does anyone here have a favorite Civilisation, one they tend to use more, or favor them whne your not using them ? As you can probably tell by my name, I use Russia alot.

2. kefra(tm)

kefra(tm) Chieftain

Some folks really analyse which Civ to pick. Something about if you pick one of the "White Civs" (the first 3, Romans, Celts, or your favorite, Russians), you get the "best" starting position. If you pick one of the later ones, the game tends to stick you somewhere junk, but it gives you some bonus techs (like Horseback Riding or Bronze Working) to make up for this. But I don't have a favorite civ. They're all the same to me.

3. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

The Persian's are my fav to play, but I play nice with the English, Americans, Russians, and Germans.

4. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I come back to America quite a bit. Usually when I'm wanting to go up a level, as I can play them the best. I also like the Scientific/Industirous combo, so depending on what UU I want to play with, I either play Ottomans or Perisa. More Ottomans lately. I like Spain too.

5. DariusInSusa

DariusInSusa Chieftain

My favorite civ to play with would have to be the persians,not only are they good to play with in the game,but they also have the coolest history...
    damn alexander for setting persepolis ablaze!

6. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I used to play Persians exclusively, until PTW came out. Now the Ottomans are just too cool. Cavalry was my usual 'breakthrough' unit, tactically speaking, so to be able to get one with more punch triggering a war and GA at the same time gets me a nice blitz through the tech tree...

7. Sailorstick

Sailorstick Vanilla 1.29 - Conquest

Germany. Mmmmmmmm Panzers... I bully my neighbours into giving me tribute :)

8. jack merchant

jack merchant Internationalist

I like Spain for some reason, even though their UU just stinks.

9. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Nah, their UU doesn't suck. . . you just have to use them right. This article on explorers can be tweaked very easily to use the Conquistadors. Think of the Conquistadors as souped up explorers. Nabbing workers, razzing improvements. . .they can be quite useful in a war, or just as general explorers.

10. jack merchant

jack merchant Internationalist

Well, for one thing they're as expensive as cavalry, but die almost as easily as the defenseless explorer, and you still have to win a fight with them to get a GA - which can be somewhat tricky on the higher levels. Also, the Conquistador is tied to a nonrequired tech, which is another disadvantage imho.

11. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

Ottomans

12. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Hm, boringly enough, my fave civs are Persia and Ottomans. This is partly because of their great traits and UUs, but also because I'm interested in the real-world Achaemenid and Ottoman empires. The Persians, for no particular reason, also was one of my fave civs in Civ2.

13. skorn

skorn Hwach'a Out!

Sipahi! In my current game, I'm playing as the Ottomans on Emporer. Everyone has been wiped out by the Celts (about 18 cities) and the Russians (6 highly productive cities) except for me (20 cities) and the Germans (1 city haha!) The Celts invaded me just as I got Military Tradition and the Sipahi (BIG mistake, Cunellin) and I proceeded to dominate his hapless vanilla cavalry and rifleman. With this overwhelmingly superior offense, I didnt even have a need for nationalism, so I blitzed through the techs in Democracy, while everyone else was either in Monarchy (Russia, also my ally) and Communism (Celts). Soon as I got replaceable parts, I was damn near invincible.
    I sued for peace w/the Celts an received a couple more cities, then, much to my chagrin, my gracious allies of over a hundred years of side-by side fighting, the Russians- sneak-attacked me and razed a size 14 city! >:o
    Needless to say, they will soon meet their maker at the hands of my Sipahi hordes. Cossacks? More Cos-SUCKS!

hehe

(no offense to the Russian-wielding posters is intended. I'm just hating on Catherine in this game ;)

14. Ville

Ville Deity

1.Ottomans
    2.Persians
    3.Random

15. Sgt.Hellfish

Sgt.Hellfish King of the Oceans

England or Celts

16. Usul

Usul Chieftain

Usually Russians or Celts.
    On Earth-emulated maps - China.

17. Anti-EUA

Anti-EUA Prince

I can't believe no one said Egypt! Even England is being remembered!

18. Lord_all_Mighty

Lord_all_Mighty Watching....

Notice no one ever says Babylonains or Greeks?

P.S. Those are my favs

19. Vlad Dracula

Vlad Dracula Warlord

Germany love those panzers i get them as fast as i can then the blitzkrieg is on

20. U.R.S.S

U.R.S.S Chieftain

Russia is my favorite civilization and cossaks are my favorite unit!