1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite / Best Mods and why

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ShadowoftheDark, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ShadowoftheDark

ShadowoftheDark Chieftain

I can't play CiV without mods, period. Though I still love it (maybe for the graphics lol), I tried going back to Civ4 and I can't seem to play it longer than CiV. Anyway, I'd like to know what are your favorite / best mods that you use and the reason why. I only have 2:

CCMAT - pretty much a no brainer. fixes a lot of things. must have

Improve performance with Limit worker mod - great mod IMO. Limits workers to 1 (you can edit the file to make it 2 or 3) which in turn stops the AI from making too many workers which bogs the game down greatly.

I'd love to know what other mods you use why. Thanks!

2. Babri

Babri Emperor

Economy mod because it makes bonus resources more useful, some new buildings. Overall Economic aspect becomes more interesting. Active City Defence because it improves the city defensive capabilities. Another great mod I use is emigration. What it does is that when your empire becomes unhappy, your population migrates to other cites. This helps you in recovering from the happiness debt more easily since remaining unhappy long kills your production & growth + it gives some realistic touch.

3. jenks

jenks Prince

all of the Thallasicus 'balance' mods and his unofficial patch.

4. Clement

Clement Layman

I use Thallasicus balance mods on some games, and Slowpoke's megamod in others, good stuff :)

5. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

Economy Mod. Makes the boring parts of civ5 less boring.

6. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

The City-State Diplomacy mod makes diplomacy much more interesting and the AI more competitive in gaining allies.

7. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

+1 for CCMAT, which includes Thal's balance mods, emigration, random events, active city defense, etc. Essential.

+1 for City-State Diplomacy mod. It's fantastic: AIs actually go for CS allies and the diplo victory ≠ financial victory.

Also, I really love the Tectonics Mapscript. Never get a boring map again!

Willard's city and diplo management mods are nice too.

8. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

what's CCMAT?

I like city-state diplomacy, although I think it would be better if you could move your missionaries through any land regardless of open borders, otherwise the game can be very biased towards players that happen to be close to CSs.

Another problem with it is how much surplus gold you then have. I would personally like the option to spend surplus gold on a combination of culture, research and (in future expansions) espionage, with a slider system just like in civ 4. Maybe 10% of gold converts to 3% of total culture or research. This means that dedicating 100% surplus gold to research of culture would increase research/culture by 30%. I think it would add a new dimension to the game. Any thoughts on this? The amount of surplus GPT that would be 100% would increase by era. For example, in the ancient era, 100% would be equal to 20 GPT. So, if you had 5 surplus gold per turn and you decided to dedicate all of it towards research, you would be dedicating 25% of the 20GPT towards research, and hence would increase research by 7.5%. Does that make any sense? As I said, the GPT that would equal would increase by era, so you'd want to avoid advancing. This would counteract the silly beelining in the game and the bonuses of CSs that increase by era.

9. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Combined Civilizations Mods And Tweaks
    (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=389368)

The later diplo units can move through borders, but they have a limited sight range.

Just set one or more of your cities to build science with science focus. Personally, I'm ok with the slider being gone, but I wouldn't mind being able to build culture in cities.

10. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

Thanks.
    Oh yeah, I forgot that you could build science :blush:
    The slider system would easier to do, and would be quite a lot more efficient, though, wouldn't it? Think of a city generating 100gpt. It would make 25 beakers per turn if you built science. But with sliders, the city could generate something other than science and make a considerable contribution towards generating 30% extra beakers per turn. Wouldn't that be considerably better? In the modern era, for example, lets say 300GPT would equal 100% gold dedicated to science, your city would increase worldwide science by 10%, which is massively better than increasing it by 25 beakers.

11. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

Most of the ones I always have on were mentioned: Thal's balance mods, active city defense, CS Diplomacy, etc.

One mod that is my favorite despite not always turning it on is DonMarty's 10000BC mod. This mod is great for when I want a more interesting BC period.

-Also Unlimited Barbarian XP. If a barb can show up in the 1990s with Destroyers and Infantry I surely want to be rewarded for taking them out.

12. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Economy mod, thal's mod pack. And I'd say in a week or two my mega mod (Still in experimental stages really XD). Art of war is pretty great, too, but it suffers from the A.I. not handling it well.

13. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

CCMAT + City Willard = win

14. Bud Spencer

Bud Spencer Chieftain

Everything by Thal is gold.

Hes the reason I find the game fun. I keep checking for his updates.

Plus initial settler running shoes and the map generator ( for small continents, my favorite)

You rock Thal, keep on trucking

15. kaltorak

kaltorak Emperor

CCMAT lacks improving building times. Economy mod includes a -20% building times that makes the difference for me in having fun or beeing bored at civ5.