Favorite Bonuses Specialization

Register666666

Warlord
An idea occured to me the other day and I apoligize if this has been done.
But it seems certain civilizations in our history have addictions to specific resources. For example, Rice and Silk seems to be associated with China, Horses with Mongola.

I wonder if it would be possible to do a favorite bonus in the game, where each civilization get an addition bonus than they normally would plus the ai would be scripted to favor that bonues to make things more interesting.

Some examples I can think of:

Russia: Fur + 2 Production (Well Russians typically did have a thriving business in this area, and Fur is very much useful in Siberia.) I know it should be +2 commerce, but the Russians were typical more industrial than they were wealthy...well at least in modern times.

China: Rice + 2 Food would make sense, it also will mean China will generally have a larger population which is true of history. Silk is another possibility, but a food bonus makes more sense to me.

United States: Oil + 2 Production + 2 Commerce, Better bonus here because it comes later in the game.

Mongolia: Horses + 1 Food +1 Production, Horses is an obvious here, a food bonus makes sense because riders could typically drink the blood of thier horses to sustain themselves longer, and better production because they can get places faster.

Egypt: Wheat +2 Food, I've heard ancient Rome was highly dependant on Egypt for the city's wheat.

Rome: Marble +2 Production, The Romans loved this stuff.

Spain: Gold +2 Commerce, Silver would work too I suppose.

Arabia: Oasis +1 Food +1 Commerce, Water has easily been the most important resource in the Mideast, still is today.

Japan: Fish +2 Food, Sushi anyone?

etc.

Stupid idea or good idea? Make things more interesting, especially in the modern age with the U.S. seeking oil.

It would be a good idea. However, I've always come to a paradox when thinking to this kind of 'civilizations' customization' ideas: if Civilization is meant to be a game where you take the role of a civilization (duh) leader from 4000 BC to the future among other rivals... I don't understand the concept of 'real world' traits. Or better, I understand them, but I can't find out how do they fit in the game's atmosphere. If historically a civ was, cIV talking, Protective and Aggressive, why should it be this in Civilization, where I'm not playing real world? The same goes for Civilization names, leaders, and the like...

Starting positions already create too much imbalance, a good start can make the difference between an early lead and an early extinction. Adding another factor (Did I start next to my favored resources?) would make your first city's surroundings even more important to the game flow, which I would say is a bad thing. Might be useful for a scenario.

hmm good point, well concerning specialties, well its kinda difficult because the game seems want to make some civilizations unique, but not so unique that everything is set in stone. I think this this may be plausible but not on a a generic map.

hmm, but your right for scenarios, would be interesting to apply this idea to an Earth map...

Register666666 said:
hmm, but your right for scenarios, would be interesting to apply this idea to an Earth map...

The problem with that, at least in the sense that you mentioned earlier (china with silk, rome with marble, etc.) is that on an earth map, all those civs will already start next to their favorite resources, so what's the point? Why not just give them their "bonus" out of the gate, since they'll be getting it within a few turns of game start, and will only lose it if they lose their capital (pretty much game over for the civ at that point). One idea of what it could be useful for would be an Age of Discovery sort of mod (without the Old World on the map), if you wanted to encourage the colonizing powers to pursue areas they historically pursued; give spain a bonus with gold and sugar, give france a bonus with furs, etc.

Top Bottom