Favorite city that you recieved as a gift by another civ

Mine is Babil. Was gifted it by the Arabs while playing as Turkey.

Rome from the Germans while playing as Spain (I already had Venice and Messina, and France was my vassal).

Rome from the Germans, playing as the French. And Rome from the French playing as the Germans. Incuded the Apostolic Palace and the Great Lighthouse in both cases.:)

Er. Gifts are worthless. Anything they suggest you to get for no price is suppossed to ruin your economy.
"There are no such thing as a free lunch", period.

Er. Gifts are worthless. Anything they suggest you to get for no price is suppossed to ruin your economy.
"There are no such thing as a free lunch", period.

You wouldn't think that after your gift rose to over 20 pop. or a wonder factory like Rome, would you?;)

Babil is worthless and going to ruin my economy?

If so the plan backfired...terribly

In general the gifts are because it costs the AI more to maintain that city than giving to you (due to overwhelming culture) or if it's not defensible at that particular moment. They may actually be a little less hostile afterwards because the proximity is less (the Germans were cautious before they captured Rome, became briefly annoyed and back to cautious after the gift).

It would be nice for vassals to be able to give cities away because often my culture is making them unstable.

I've never seen Turkey give anything because their culture is so strong.

Rome yes as the French or Germans. I've had both happen.

It doesn't necessarily ruin your economy either. In fact, it doubled the effect of my flagging emperor French economy. Yes it took about 5 turns to build it up a bit, but if anything it boosted my stability.

Most of the time though, gifted cities are ones that they can't hold onto, not ones that will ruin you. It's a good possibility that you'll cause it to flip to you based on culture soon anyway.

I was playing France and watched Germany invade and conquer Amsterdam. I asked for it, and they gave it.

You wouldn't think that after your gift rose to over 20 pop. or a wonder factory like Rome, would you?;)
If I ever would see anybody to gift me Rome, I might change my mind. :)

Usually I don't want Babili, because it hurts proper development of Shush, which is much better city.

In my current game, Germans tried to fool me into taking Venedig (Venetia), which would be extreme silly to accept, since it would just steal tiles from Marseille, Rome (and possibly Frankfurt, if I'll choose to conquer it later).

And, by the way, my Paris is better wonder factory than Rome. In 1733, Paris needs 9 turns to build Olympic park and Rome needs 13.

And, by the way, my Paris is better wonder factory than Rome. In 1733, Paris needs 9 turns to build Olympic park and Rome needs 13.

There's something not-quite-right about this. Rome should be able to produce more hammers than Paris if both cities have the same infrastructure.

There's something not-quite-right about this. Rome should be able to produce more hammers than Paris if both cities have the same infrastructure.

Maybe he's running Bureaucracy, or maybe Rome's cultural borders are pushed in by Venice?

Maybe he's running Bureaucracy, or maybe Rome's cultural borders are pushed in by Venice?
Yeah, I am running Bureacracy. And, also, Rome can't be quite as big as Paris, because he has two citizens unhappy for "we lack our motherland (independents)",though it is about 1000 years after I took them from independents. I had to build Opera House there to make them happy enough. Of course, it wasn't possible until I built 4 or 5 theatres in my American colonies.

Also, by memory, my Paris has 6-7 watermills and workshops in it's norhern-western quadrant and 2-3 lumbermills in other quadrants, meanwhile Rome has two mines (on iron and on hill-plains) and all other hills are windmills. If I'd replaced all that windmills with mines, Rome's production might be better than Paris', but it would hurt my science significantly.

And, I forgot... I had an event which gave +3 happy to my capitol. This is nothing after Astronomy, but before it was very helpful to built Paris properly.

So far the only city I've been gifted was Kalmar from the Vikings when playing as Germans but due to being caught between two cultures with no really good land nearby, it was pretty worthless.

Only gift I've ever got.

I've never been gifted a city. :(

Top Bottom