1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite civ to play ahistorically?

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by MrFeline, Jul 12, 2020.

1. MrFeline

MrFeline Chieftain

While I love solving UHV puzzles, my favorite part of DoC has to be just choosing civilizations to win other victories with, or even just play along for the ride until 2020. What civilizations are your favorite to do this with?

I'm a personal fan of Persia if I want an easy ride that I can do really anything with. If I'm feeling extra controlling, I'll start as Babylon and move their capital one north so that it doesn't flip to the Arabs or the Ottomans, then raze and refound Shush 1S to let the Persian core breathe a little more.

2. LukeAtmey

LukeAtmey Chieftain

Rome is one of my favorites, I have plenty of save games where I started as Rome trying to survive the barbarian invasions and then forging my own destiny onwards. Attempting to quell the uprisings in Gaul, Hispania and Germania once they attempt to declare their independence was a fun challenge. One time I had a game where I subdued all the rising powers except for Holy Rome who went on to conquer Poland while also Byzantines remained exceptionally strong. The end result was sort of a "Roman medieval and reneissance world". What's more, the Catholicism vs Protestantism ended up being a war between two super powers as I remained Catholic and Holy Rome chose Protestantism. So you sort of had Western, Northern and Eastern Roman Empires.

Another fun Roman game I went full colonization mode, here's a screenshot of it. I was surprised to see that some of the New World locations had been assigned ready names for the Romans. Some which had none though I just came up by myself mostly by translating city names into Latin. Nova Roma on New Orealns' spot was the first city I settled so I figured New Rome was a fitting name for it! In this game though, I have to say, the expansion penalty started hitting me pretty bad since I also had vassals who settled colonies all over the place so keeping it all stable was an enormous task.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    stillblackadder and black213 like this.
  3. Xfactor

Xfactor Warlord

Ahistoric Egypt on previous versions is what comes to mind , was alot of fun to migrate to South Africa and expand there :lol: , havent tried it on the newer version but i doubt it will work.

Crimean Lord and black213 like this.
  4. oioi23

oioi23 Chieftain

I find Tamils especially fun for playing with free reign. However their UHV is one of those nice ones where you can do it and then continue playing with no negative side effects.
    I found it really fun to conquer all of India and when the Portuguese tried to take Sri Lanka I sent galleons full of troops round Africa and sacked Lisbon.
    The British Invasion is a challenge but really fun, using your arquebusiers to take out much more advanced troops.
    By the end of the game I had conquered Portugal, All of India and Iran

5. DanLT3

DanLT3 Warlord

Going for some of the religious victories (URV) will allow you to play a longer game with some of these civs (Roman, Persia, Greece, Arabs, India or China) and yet having a goal to reach.
    There is usually a lot of freedom how to play when going for a URV.

6. brett0007

brett0007 Warlord

Ive done a lot of ahistorical games mainly getting classical civs to the modern day, the most notable and memborable ones are:

Byzantium: Byzantium is an absolute monster if you manage to survive, you can end up easily dominating practically everything east of you to India and the entire of north africa making you the undisputed Emperor of Oil and global superpower, even if you stay in your histocal zone your still a superpopwer able to match continental states like America, India and China.

Greece:I had a fun time holding together Alexanders empire, it was hell doing so with Romans ,Arabs,Turks, Iranians and others all out for blood but it was a thourghly enjoyable campaign, not for the unexperienced!Though Phillip was on to something with his long pointy sticks!

Persia:map editing the 600ad scenario and giving yourself an army and techs of Byzantium, then immidiatly nigh on collapsing to the arabs to then bounce back was one of my favorite campaigns.Honestly if there was any 3000bc civ that needs to be in the 600 AD scenario to play just for fun its Sassanid Persia, Its challenging but supremly rewarding to pull it off.

Indonesia: Indonesia is a bit of an odd one, really an amagamation of many diffrent polities and empires so there is fertile ground for ahistoric play, choose to keep the Buhddist Srijajaya alive, the Hindu Majapahit, or champion Islam as the Malacca Sultanate. Either way the dutchman with a musket wants to have a word with you...

Ethiopia:The oft overlooked gem of Africa, because you start fairly early for an african civ and develop you can keep a tech pace up with Europe and the middle east and expand into the horn and Swahili coast, forging an african empire more than capable of driving the colonialists out of East Africa.

Crimean Lord likes this.
  7. oioi23

oioi23 Chieftain

I’ve always wanted to play a superpower Ethiopia game, I managed to conquer Mecca and Syria and Egypt but am always horribly far behind On tech.
    Any tips of how to play, what to do at the start etc?

8. brett0007

brett0007 Warlord

With Ethiopia you have to go slow, your core area's economy is weak so you need develop first before expanding otherwise you have to sacrifice what little money you can on maintaining the Empire. Its a slow burn, not a flash fire. Also be picky, if a city clearly isnt going to be making money or being a production center you usually dont really have the spare cash to own it and stay competetive, like if you have Mecca go Muslim and exploit the shrine money. I find playing an expansionist Ethiopia is about being shrewd with your conquests and focusing on development and gradual expansion in phases of conqure, develop, conqure. Thats why I mentioned east africa, its got decent resorces for a plantation economy.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Rogue_Trooper likes this.
  9. Nyayr

Nyayr Prince

If you don't want anything to flip to the Arabs, As (Egypt, Persia, Rome, Greece etc... ) You gotta prevent them from founding Mecca, destroy their settlers and archers as they appear and 2 turns later they return as they claim cities (even though they been destroyed) wreck their armies in the desert, make sure to build roads there. This only works if they declare war at you when appearing which is about 50% of the time...

As Rome I am usually a pretty big bastard preventing Arabs, Moors, Spanish and French to even survive as civs... I even sometimes wreck Holy Rome, if they start with a declared war and ofcourse never let Ottomans appear. ;)

Then send spies to cities to cause unrest and poison them (Portugal, Poland, Iran) so they can't develop. I do am nice and always let England survive, Mainly cause I give Londinium to the Vikings, and then it is as far I've seen always wrecked when England appears.

Rome is a big bully!

A big Greece sounds like fun, but you need a big army with lots of Cavalry.

Rogue_Trooper and BaneFire like this.
  10. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Has anyone found out a way to make India work? It's quite easy to beat the Mughals, Tamils and English but your economy and tech are soooooo bad. I'll be in 1800AD with all of the Indian subcontinent under my control and worse tech than the Congo.

11. brett0007

brett0007 Warlord

Which scenario? 3000 BC is easy you use Paliputra's insane food to generate tons of settlers, train a ton of workers to insta build inprovments, your sky high pops can be specialized without much trouble and run a dual shrine econ with Buddhism and Hinduism. I've never tried 1700 ad India so I cant say.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  12. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

Yea, 3000AD. I have double shrines and like 15 population in every city but I can just about run 20% tech rate. I'm using spies to nab techs from Thailand but still it's pretty rough. Maybe midgame I went too overboard in terms of expansion and so on but still. I think I just suck at the tech game.

13. brett0007

brett0007 Warlord

Don't just expand because you can, every city not offsetting its maintinence is less money devoted to tech, as India you need to be a martial early on, all the land you need to expand into will be teeming with hindi barbarians or steppe barbarian horse units. The only city I'd recomend founding early is a city to gain acess to iron, its vital you guard your cities and improvements and take the battle to the barbarians before they start to overwhelm southern India . My early economic game is building temples,and using priests get to about +5 or 6 at 80/90% tech then expand, if you get a few hundred gold dont be afraid to run a small deficit or found a city, just keep developling and specializing. Lastly don't give up if you lag behind. Try to generate one or a few great merchants, send them to Europe and purchase techs from other civs.

Xfactor likes this.
  14. Cypriot

Cypriot Chieftain

Jewish Babilonia is my favorite. Conquering all India as Harappa is fine too.

Crimean Lord and BaneFire like this.
  15. LukeAtmey

LukeAtmey Chieftain

I had to add to my previous post that I'm also quite an enthusiastic American player, sometimes first building the foundations as the colonial master or simply by just starting as the Americans to begin with. While the historical expansion and growth towards a dominating economic and military might of freedom and democracy is fun in it's ownright, I also sometimes take an alternate route. This time around I made a full on fascist coup in my civilization and began an aggressive world conquest! The game has been on a standstill for a few days now, but last time the New World Order, through some rapid assaults marched their armies over the unsuspecting Mexicans and Canadians to assume complete and absolute control over the Northern and Central America. Now they are on their way annex the resource rich South America as well and got off to a good start by vassalizing Brazil! Stability is likely going to be quite a challenge on my way to conquering the world though.

Attached Files:

Cypriot likes this.
  16. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

How do you rename your civ? Or is New World Order a dynamic name?

17. LukeAtmey

LukeAtmey Chieftain

New World Order is the dynamic name of running totalitarian civics as America.

BaneFire likes this.
  18. Theophilos

Theophilos Warlord

I like to play nations as a different religious history

For example, a muslim Russia, hell-bent on bringing islam to Europe. Or a catholic Russia

A muslim turks, spreading islam to china

A catholic Ethiopia

A catholic/orthodox turks is my next idea. (I already did Buddhist and then Confucian turks)

I like just trying to be a different religion and spreading it places where it wasn't really historically.

Last time I played Catholic Ethiopia, I did this because Egypt converted to catholicism rather than orthodoxy in 3000 BC scenario for some reason. I decided to edit the religious map to make it so there was a more CATHOLIC map for byzantines, and let russia be more orthodox. (I also helped the byzantine ai remove orthodoxy and take rome) It was a fun scenario. It ended up having Russia take poland, hungary, vienna, and vassalize Germany. Then byzantines fought russia, and byzantines took vienna. Sadly then byzantines collapsed so I ended the game. I kinda ran out of room to expand as ethiopia anyway.

I found playing with different relgions requires going into world builder to change religious map a little to make the new scenario "viable" and more realisitic. (so if islam conqueres new world, change map to allow islam to spread in new world). I also like to help the ai spread their own religions in their cities, especially in Russia and New world and Mughal empire, because in those places it seems always there is a lack of spread of religion. (mughals almost always go buddhist or hindu theocracy, unless you give them some more muslim missionaries)

LukeAtmey, BaneFire and Cypriot like this.
  19. BaneFire

BaneFire Warlord

I like this too (Buddhist Russia for the win). I wish that religion was a bit more like civ 5, like there were still historical biases towards religion but if a religion spreads enough it could become more dominant. It was kind of like that in the original RFC, I think DOC goes too much the other way.

LukeAtmey and brett0007 like this.
  20. LukeAtmey

LukeAtmey Chieftain

Very nice, I like that! I recently posted on another thread a screenshot of my 3000BC game as the Byzantines in which Catholicism took foothold in their Core. Partly because of that and because I was motivated by your idea I decided to go full Catholic and attempt the URV. It's a fun challenge but I somewhat agree the lack of religion spread to ahistorical areas can be tricky. I succesfully managed to convert Russia though which helps a lot towards the 50% Catholic area goal. Now I'm just hoping the Reformation event sees as many European nations as possible to remain Catholic :D

By the way I had no idea it was possible to edit the Religion maps via DOCs World Builder! Cool feature imo, adds one more reason among the many why I absolutely love the World Builder we have in this mod.