1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Civilization!?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Slayergnome, Sep 24, 2010.

?

Who is your favorite Civ so far in Civ V?

1. America

19 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Arabia

14 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. Aztec

7 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. China

65 vote(s)
    12.6%
  5. Egypt

34 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. England

20 vote(s)
    3.9%
  7. France

46 vote(s)
    8.9%
  8. Germany

26 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Greece

68 vote(s)
    13.2%
  10. India

6 vote(s)
    1.2%
  11. Iroquois

18 vote(s)
    3.5%
  12. Japan

31 vote(s)
    6.0%
  13. Ottoman

11 vote(s)
    2.1%
  14. Persia

28 vote(s)
    5.4%
  15. Rome

27 vote(s)
    5.2%
  16. Russia

26 vote(s)
    5.0%
  17. Siam

14 vote(s)
    2.7%
  18. Songhai

25 vote(s)
    4.9%
  19. Babylon

30 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. Slayergnome

Slayergnome Chieftain

I know it is early but have you fallen in love yet.

I gots to say the Germans are pretty fun to play I think they are my #1 right now.

2. TeddyBearsDoLie

TeddyBearsDoLie Chieftain

Songhai, because of their UU.

3. Slayergnome

Slayergnome Chieftain

This is just peaking my curiosity but what is the draw of the Iroquois, I really dont understand why people would like them at all?

4. m1 grant

m1 grant Chieftain

I like the germans, basically if u go out hunting barbarians and use the honor policy, you quickly get a cheap and skilled army for an early domination win

5. Reginleif

Reginleif Warlord

I agree Songhai and Iroquois are the superior civilizations.

6. cavilier210

cavilier210 Warlord

My fav is America, mostly cuz thats me home :D

7. thungrim

thungrim Warlord

I've only tried Egyptians so far, but their UU (War Chariot) makes me giddy. At first its nothing more than faster moving chariot that you don't need stabled horses for. If you can keep it alive for 4 promotions, all of a sudden you turn a 5 move archer into an ancient era gunship that can lay down 5 shots per round. With 5 shots per round, you've really ramped up how quick you gain XP, which means other promotions are on their way in a hurry. How about Mobility1 for another shot/move? How about Mobility2 for yet another (that's SEVEN) shot/move?

With a few of those on the field you can siege your enemies to your heart's content. They'll feed your war machine living sacrifices all day long while you kick back in your own borders building wonders worthy of your prodigious ego.

8. Rellin

Rellin Norrathian Gnome

Only played as America so far, so yeah, it is my favorite at the moment.

9. Slayergnome

Slayergnome Chieftain

Yea I was reading your post earlier lulz :mischief:

10. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

I really like Egypt for the +20% wonder bonus. Combined with the +33% bonus from that one Tradition policy, you can often make wonders cheaper than regular buildings. Then again, I've always been a major builder since Civ III, when I first started playing. It never even occurred to me that the war chariot could be a powerful unit(which 4 promotions allow you to fire so many shots?).

I also like Greece for the city state bonuses and France for the extra culture.

11. thungrim

thungrim Warlord

Blitz is the promotion that will let you to fire as many shots as you have movement points. You can only get Blitz if you have 3 levels of Shock (bonus on flat land) or 3 levels of Drill (bonus on rough land)

12. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Babylon, England and China for their ranged UU's.

Egypt might work out too as Thungrim points out, but war chariots are really weak.

For building wonders, Babylons UA is a lot better than Egypts. You can get wonder techs a lot faster than Egypt or any of the AI can, and build them first.

Bonus on rough land is always the better choice to overcome the defence bonus on those tiles. Killing units in flat tiles is easy enough without any promotions.

13. thungrim

thungrim Warlord

They're pretty strong if you roll them out as soon as you get them. They'll last you a LOOOONG time though. Even with superior tech units on the field, "weak" isn't weak when it can attack 4-7 times per round. :D

Unfortunately its a non-issue for me. I didn't buy with Babylon. :(
    I think this would ultimately depend on game pace wouldn't it? I haven't done any math but I would assume that a 20% wonder build bonus (combined with the Tradition policy that gives an extra 30) would make them far easier to build... especially since it appears that tech leads come later. I dunno... you're probably right though.

Agreed.

14. Monyu

Monyu Chieftain

Japan for me. I suck with almost all the other civs. America really sucks in the game though their UA is almost useless. I love how everyone thought Germany would suck but they actually do very well in all my games.

15. cavilier210

cavilier210 Warlord

Whats with all the Greece love? lol

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It's probably a bit early for me to truly judge, but I'm liking Songhai as well. I've been having a blast playing as them. I was actually considering a cultural victory because of their UB, but warfare was just too fun.

17. The Rev

The Rev Chieftain

I lost one game as America, so they're my least favorite, and won one with Greece, so they're my favorite. I do love the Greek UA, and companion cavalry stay useful even into the late game. My next will be an English game on archipelago, so they might take first if longbowmen turn out to be as broken as I think they might be.

18. digitalcraft

digitalcraft Warlord

I've tried a bunch, but I keep coming back to Japan. It's not just that they're good at war in a war game, they have nice music, samurais are really cool, and since you're doing war anyways, it feels neat being this bushido warrior guy who is supposed to be waring.

19. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

I'm currently enjoying the Aztecs as a war mongering game. Their ability is pretty cool.

20. Stormfather

Stormfather Chieftain

I've tried a bunch as well, I love the Greek one-two punch of hoplites and companion cavalry. The Germans look bad on paper, but a successful early game barbarian hunt combined with the 'civil service slingshot' turns them into an absolute monster.