Favorite Civilization!?

Who is your favorite Civ so far in Civ V?

• America

Votes: 19 3.7%
  • Arabia

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Aztec

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • China

Votes: 65 12.6%
  • Egypt

Votes: 34 6.6%
  • England

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • France

Votes: 46 8.9%
  • Germany

Votes: 26 5.0%
  • Greece

Votes: 68 13.2%
  • India

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • Iroquois

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • Japan

Votes: 31 6.0%
  • Ottoman

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Persia

Votes: 28 5.4%
  • Rome

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Russia

Votes: 26 5.0%
  • Siam

Votes: 14 2.7%
  • Songhai

Votes: 25 4.9%
  • Babylon

Votes: 30 5.8%

• Total voters
America's UU and UAs are deceptively powerful. Almost brokenly powerful... if you can get to use them. America is all about expansion... but where they really come into their own is with artillery, bombers, and naval bombardment. Couple this with minutemen upgraded to mobile infantry that can be almost anywhere on the map and fast and you have an extremely flexible military capable of laying waste to vast stretches easily.

This makes no mention of the gold portion of manifest destiny which makes gobbling up huge tractics of empire quick and painless when coupled with monarchy.

I'm fooling around with Mongolia now. I made five cities with no workers ATM (They're in production) and I'm just running around with spearmen destroying early civilizations.

I'm going for a domination victory. I don't capture capitals though, I need happiness for military effectiveness. I raze all other cities and rebuild my own nearby according to resources.

I can't name a favorite, but I can name an anti-favorite. The American special ability is meh, the Minuteman is not bad now that the bug is fixed but not outstanding. I love bombers, but the game is almost always over by the time you can build them, and I've not yet seen an AI put up any decent air defense to make an improved bomber that great.

Almost all the other civs have abilities that are great in the right conditions, so I guess the real standouts are the ones whose abilities are always useful. China has an awesome UA, an awesome UB, and a great UU. Songhai's UA is great or better unless you are on a crowded Pangaea map, their UB is awesome, and their UU is great. France has a great to awesome UA, musketeers are decent, foreign legion is great. England has one awesome UU, but of course the UA and the other UU depend on lots of oceans on your map.

At first I thought Babylon was OP, but it's only about as OP as China. The Mongols, though - omigod they are the win button unless they get caught without horses (which is pretty much death for any civ) or start with too much rough terrain.

I was one of the four people who voted for India. I'm dominating a game with them on difficulty level 7 (8 is 'deity'). What really did it was fact they forgive you half of the unhappiness caused by your population. In my first game with Rome, I couldn't keep my growing empire from buckling under a tide of overpopulation. Only with India did I find that manageable.

Also, I really underestimated their war elephants. They're cheap, available early, and they seem to be very easy to promote. Once you get them blitz and an extra move, they can fire four times each turn, which is enough to waste a rifleman out in the open. Of course, when they get 8 or 12 xp each turn, they become fearsome fighting machines incredibly fast.

No love for Siam? The +1 food/+1 culture from city states is absurd. The elephants are really fun to use and the Wat is a pretty ridiculous UB.

Iroquois. Promote the Mohawk warrior for flat terrain and you have a pretty formidable all around unit to upgrade. Movement inside your Empire, as long as you exapand into forests is quick. Longhouses on Tradepost Forests create a REALLY nice +2 Gold, +2 Production, +1 Food tile. You can make a really good production city by converting forests into lumbermills with a longhouse. (A city surrounded by forest, each a +3 Production tile is really nice.) Save gold on road Mait, set up happiness quicker when expanding thorugh forests. And simply, it's just way fun to play. You get immersed.. tempting your enemies into the forests of your homeland and watching as they never return, mwa ha ha...

Remember that getting Blitz instead of Logistics on archer-like units is a bug which is going to be fixed. I think even 2 shots per turn elephants will still be awesome, but the current bug makes them more OP than intended.

What do you mean you can't get by without horses? Horses suck, I've never found any use for them until the Mongol Keshiks came along. The longswordsmen and cannons are the way to go until you get rifling and artillery.

Edit:

Manifest Destiny is great. 25% off purchasing tiles, you can expand your cities very quickly and relatively cheap.

What do you mean you can't get by without horses? Horses suck, I've never found any use for them until the Mongol Keshiks came along. The longswordsmen and cannons are the way to go until you get rifling and artillery.

Not sure on this, but I think its MUCH easier to rush Horsemen and steamroll the opponents before they even get Spearmen. If they do get spears, horse movement range makes it pretty easy to avoid them.

I've played only as Rome so far. Because of the utter lack of production it's UA is muted somewhat. Tech research times relative to production times needs to be rebalanced in my opinion. I think the best rebalance would be to speed up production a little instead of nerfing research times.

My idea would be to put workshops earlier in the tech tree, and perhaps include a small wonder or building that provides a large bonus to improvement upkeep (50%?). That way making buildings would be more worthwhile if you work at it, but you have to work at it--if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, is this poll supposed to be for favorite, or most powerful? People seem to be choosing civs they feel are most OP and abusable.

My idea would be to put workshops earlier in the tech tree, and perhaps include a small wonder or building that provides a large bonus to improvement upkeep (50%?). That way making buildings would be more worthwhile if you work at it, but you have to work at it--if you know what I mean.

It'd be nice if workshops had less upkeep as well. I rarely build them as it is.

Anyhow, is this poll supposed to be for favorite, or most powerful? People seem to be choosing civs they feel are most OP and abusable.

Agreed, thats why my vote went to Siam. Definitely not the best civ, but definitely one I had fun playing.

Can someone tell me what Babylon's UA, UU and UB are and what they do? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

You're welcome!

(I was assuming you were being a dick and trying to get information while being lazy and lying.)

Greece leading the poll shows how this civ is newbie-oriented. I guess most of them like it because "Alexander is cool".

or because it's the best civ for winning the game... at least ancient/classical start

Top Bottom