1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Civs?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by modernalextg, Mar 31, 2007.

1. modernalextg

modernalextg Chieftain

I like India, Rome, Babylon & Greece.

India-

The War Elephant is a really powerful unit, and doesn't require any resources. I also feel that the Indians expand fairly quickly. Like the no anarchy period because of the religious ability.

Rome-

I like the Legionarries, and their offensive and defensive capabilities. Plus, Caesar is cool.

Babylon-

They're a religious civ, so government changes are easy. Scientific, and the free tech at the start of every era is really helpful. Religious and scientific is a good combo!

Greece-

The hoplite is an amazingly strong defender! Cities defended with two or three hoplites is completely safe during the first era, so they make up for the Greeks not being a militaristic civ! The commercial ability of the Greeks helps generate more much needed commerce.

What other civs do you think are the best? Do you have a favorite few?
    WHY?

I NEED YOUR INPUT!

2. Sashie VII

Sashie VII Balance of Power

Best? None.

My favourites are Babylon, China, Byzantines, Carthage, America, English, Ottomans and Germans, in no particular order.

But then I have no hated civs that I'll never play either, so..

3. Hadesspirit

Hadesspirit Chieftain

My favorites
    1-Ottomans though ı dont have play the world and conquests.
    2-Iraquois ı love mounted warrior and Hiawatha very much.and mounted warrior is really powerful unit..
    3-Germany-they have PANZER factor and Bismarck in industrial age is too cool.
    4-Russia-ı love cossacks

4. modernalextg

modernalextg Chieftain

Sashie VII, I agree with all of your favorite civs, and I like playing with them too, but the only one I don't understand is the Americans. I don't really like playing with the Americans because the F-15 special unit seems worthless to me, and the benefits of the expansionist civs don't really wow me as much as some other traits like scientific, religious, or militaristic.

I just want to hear you side, and say what makes America good or fun to play as?

Noob-Saibot, you're right, the Germans are great!

5. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Chieftain

Iroquis easilly.

Best 2 traits.
    Best UU.

6. Aramazd

Aramazd Chieftain

Not in any particular order
    America- good traits, bad UU:sad:
    Maya-excellent traits, awesome UU
    Babylon-lots of cheap culture
    Rome-Legions are good
    Celts-Gallic Warriors are better, plus good traits
    Pesia-Scientific and Industrious are good, along with UU

7. Sashie VII

Well they're industrious (always nice), have scouts, start with pottery. So whenever I play pangaea, America comes to my mind first. They can get into rapid expansion mode fast, and get a bigger chunk of territory before you run out of room to expand. Plus scouts pop huts and get you the good stuff, and allows you to gain an early ech parity/lead. That helps with trading, even more so due to the fact you meet other civs faster. And these guys find you the best city sites to send settlers to. Especially in vanilla, when industrious was a much stronger trait, America is explosive.

As for F-15, they're not great but then I love Modern Age warfare so they're cool.

Inca may be slightly better at early REX since they're agricultural, but I'll always love playing as America :love:

8. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

I've played almost every civ, except the one's where the UU's are ship, I never head to navy even though I seriously need to.

I like Rome, China, Persia, India, and Netherlands

Rome -
    Legions kick ass, good offense and defense and one of the dominating UU's of the ancient age.

China -
    Riders move very quickly and are useful when going to war with someone really far away.

Persia -
    Immortals are excellent, being Medival Infantry you can get very early in the game.

India -
    War Elephants are knights, ut you don't need to worry about resources

Netherland -
    Gallic Swordsman may do the same damage as swordsman, but they make for good scouts.

Notice I only describe UU's. Personally, I don't relly think that a civ's majors matter past the first 30 turns. All the Militaristic or Religious advantages really only help for the first uildings, except maybe militaristic, which makes faster elites.

9. Sashie VII

Byzantines? They're great! Try them sometime, you won't be disappointed (unless you played them on pangaea).

Ah, but they do. Each traits give you cheaper buildings (except commercial), and most aren't available in the first 30 turns. For instance Agri gets cheap aquaducts, it's impossible to get every town founded by a river or lake so being agri helps there. Scientific gets free techs every age, that helps a lot ;)

Especially commercial, they get more effective as the game goes on. It reduces corruption, so the bigger your empire and cities get, the more they save shields and gold.

Expansionist aren't much valuable once huts are popped and exploration is over, though.

10. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir Chieftain

Agricultural is extremely powerfull in the first 100 turns or so. After that it is just like 1 extra shield in each city. Agri is so powerfull to make it an absolute distant nr1.

Commercial is not so important in the start when you have just a few towns, but it quickly gains in strength when you are building the first 20 cities in your empire. It remains powerfull for the rest of the game.

These are definatly not just usefull for the first 30 turns and they are way more important than any unique unit can be.
    If 2 reasonably equal players start out on the same map, one with an agricultural civ, the other not, the one without agri has virtually no chance to beat the other player (no matter if it is against eachother or both against the AI for the fastest win)

11. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

I wouldn't say agricultural is a must win, they would lose to expansionist in Domination, and could still be eliminated by a militaristic state. Yeah agricultural does make your towns grow faster, but you can't say anyone will always win with random start locations and all.

Also, uhh Sashie, I do know that ship building civs are great, just that I'm trying to master everything one at a time.I already got culture underhand, and military almost complete, I'm working on expansion and then I'll try the ships. Then somehow put it all together. I think I can pull it off.

12. Sashie VII

I don't think so. Expansionist get scouts, but no growth bonus (free settlers out of consideration). Militaristic get slightly more promotions and cheap barracks and cheap walls, but no more.

Agricultural are good for Domination, since they grow faster. And the faster you grow, the faster you grab territory. The faster you grab them, the more cities and land your get. The more cities and land you have when you start conquering, the better your production and military support. The better your production, the faster you can churn out soldiers. The faster you can churn out soldiers, the faster you can go a-conquering. The faster you go conquering, the faster you win. :hammer:

Oh, and since you have more land at the start, the less territory you need before you hit domination. And faster growth keeps the growth faster for that 66% pop.

13. modernalextg

modernalextg Chieftain

Yeah, Sashie VII, I can see how the Americans are good, but I don't play as them often, so I'll have to try that!

14. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

In no particular order: Rome, China, Iroquois, Netherlands.

15. Desertsnow

Desertsnow πr²

Egypt and Celts in the majority of games. Sometimes Byzantines, Aztecs or Inca. Occasionally Germany or Portugal (though I don't do well with the latter).

16. TimBentley

TimBentley Chieftain

17. MAS

MAS Chieftain

Except that the Dutch don't have Gallic Swordsman. :)

18. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

Oh, wait, I was thinking Celts. Right, the swiss pikemen kick ass too, 1/4/1, so they tie against Medieval Infantry.

UU's that dominate just rock. Legion, Immortals, Swiss Pikemen, Gallic Swordsman.

I just think it's funny that the Chasqui Scout and the Jaguar Warrior are exactly the same, if someone can find a difference, I'm just not paying atention to what I'm saying. Again.

19. Sashie VII

Chasqui can run over hills and mountains as if they were grasslands.

20. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

okay, that's helpful, like the Keshik Archers too right?

Oh, I made a discovery yesterday, while playing a 1 on 1 Regent game (Pangea, 60%, Average Temp and Climate and 5 billion years), I made 4700 points with China fighting Korea, winning when right after I discovered the first Medieval age tech (engineering, I think). Thank God for industrious, I spit out maybe 20-25 swordsman and just massacred. Also, today I'll shoot for trying that out using Agricultural, don't think I'm those 1 side guys (instead, I tackle things one at a time, so it looks like I'm one sided). Although I do favor Industrious the most right now. It was a great game.