• France

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Spain

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 34 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No contest - the Dutch start with two major advantages, better economy because of more stable prices and a faster ship. Either would be enough for me to choose them but to have both makes them very strong in the early game.

Gimme that Merchantman!

The 4 cargo merchantman makes the Dutch my choice.

I sell I buy...
Must be dutch.

English are second IMO.

After much study, I've decided that the English are the best European Power when simply trying to defeat the expeditionary army (as opposed to running up a high score), because they have useful professions earlier in their immigration queue. As the Dutch, you'll rarely find carpenters or elder statesmen, and in three straight games I didn't get a single blacksmith. The English however, while their 2/3rds cross bonus is almost worthless in the big picture, get these professions much more frequently, and they're much more useful than ones that create cash crops.

Either you enlarge your population by selling things and buying people in Europe, then the dutchs are the best choice
Or you enlarge your population by producing food, then french may be the best choice.

English are usefull in the beginning because religious immigration is 50% higher. But, very soon, trading or producing food will be more productive than producing crosses. I dont think that the English are a good choice

I've not tried the spanish for a long time

Either you enlarge your population by selling things and buying people in Europe, then the dutchs are the best choice
Or you enlarge your population by producing food, then french may be the best choice.

English are usefull in the beginning because religious immigration is 50% higher. But, very soon, trading or producing food will be more productive than producing crosses. I dont think that the English are a good choice

I've not tried the spanish for a long time

I used to be a Dutch only player but now I play as the French. I've worked out a new strategy that being French helps on.

I always played Dutch, since they had that economic advantage, and I developed a pretty good strategy with them. I never tried hard enough to play as other powers though, though I did like being Spanish.

I was bad at the game, being only young. Nonethelesss I played Dutch or English as favourites. I felt that the immigration the English got wasn't much good if you couldn't use all the useless colonists so I think I preferred the Dutch IIRC.

I'm surprised more people haven't picked Spain. With their bonus against the natives, it's a wipeout fest of the natives. You make so much gold from the Aztecs and Incas, who needs an economy? And what do you buy with all that gold? A huge army! I can win as the Spanish twice as fast as anyone else.

French due to conversion bonus.

Top Bottom