1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Conquest Civ

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by BMartini28, Dec 23, 2011.

1. BMartini28

BMartini28 Chieftain

Whats your favorite civ in each conquest and why

mesopotamia- sumeria, enkidus are strong and cheap and good starting location
    rise of rome- greece, cause persia is way too easy and havent had much luck as rome
    fall of rome- visogoths, you can attack both sides of the empire
    middle ages, germany, re-assemble charlemegnes empire and collect all the relics
    mesoamerica- inca, great location and resources take over all of s america
    age of discovery- spain, take over portugal in europe and its a garunteed win
    sengoku- mori-, great starting location to take over the islands and then mainland
    napoleonic europe- austria, hussars kick ass and great location
    WW2- australia, powerful civ mate!

2. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

I haven't played the Conquests all that much, and I know there aren't as many victory conditions as the epic game, but I wonder how much this varies with desired victory condition.

3. creamcheese

creamcheese Spreading since 1990

Well I haven't played them all particularly recently, but I seem to remember enjoying:

Mesopotamia: Egypt. Huge food start and a one tile choke point makes it relatively easy to defend while you build up for an attack. Also starts near a ton of luxuries.
    Rise of Rome: Rome. The scenario is really much more fun when playing as the powerhouse civ on the rise. I usually play on a higher level since Rome is a bit overpowered in this scenario.
    Fall of Rome: My least favorite conquest. I think the Persians can be fun.
    Middle Ages: Byzantines or England. Good start locations and interesting challenges to win. The Scandinavians are a bit too easy otherwise they can be fun.
    Mesoamerica: Aztecs. Good start location and having only one front makes warring a lot easier.
    Age of Discovery: England probably. Not as easy as some, so provides a challenge on what is a not too difficult scenario.
    Sengoku: Oda? The ones with Nagoya as their capital. Hard to get Iron, but a fair amount of luxuries. The central position makes it a nice challenge.
    Napoleonic Europe: France! It is no fun playing a lesser civ. That said, you have to play on a pretty high level as France for a challenge.
    WWII in the Pacific: China. The underdog is always fun, and I can let the computer deal with all of that boring naval transporting. Basically surviving is all you need to win, and don't let the Japs kill too many of your units. Artillery is a must. Unfinished rail net is annoying but can be brought up to speed relatively quickly.

4. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Mesopotamia - Phoenecia. Although it makes the game easy. With the two galleys you can explore and meet some other Civs very fast. Egypt second, Industrious is very strong on this scenario.
    Rise of Rome - Persia. Don't have a really good reason but I enjoy them more.
    Fall of Rome - Persia. Maybe I'm in a rut. I think they're easiest - you don't have crazy near neighbors and have good production power.
    Middle Ages - I'd agree with England. Starting with an army is a tremendous advantage. Byzantines second for a different challenge and Dromons are good.
    Mesoamerica - Maya. Two Civs very close to trade with early and destroy later. They never amount to anything unlike the Moche.
    Age of Discovery - I'd agree with England.
    Sengoku - Oda. Close by luxuries makes happiness easier.
    Napoleon - Austria. You can get a huge empire fairly easily as long as you don't antagonize England or France.
    WWII - I'd agree with China. Just survive and if the level is lower, take some Japanese territory. Naval is a bit of a drag.

5. creamcheese

I have to say, this thread reminded me how much I enjoyed some of the conquests when I first played them. They have been far surpassed my many of the talented modders around here, but they each have their own charm and present a unique challenge.

I started a WWII China game a few days ago, great fun so far. The first time I've seen Japan miss taking Hong Kong on the opening turns. I have fair defenses up and running and I think the allies will pull out the victory.

6. BMartini28

BMartini28 Chieftain

id have to second that. i love the middle ages, napoleon, and mesopotamia the most. recently played a great game as kievan rus on monarch, took over poland, maygars, and bulgars only to be sneak attacked by a stack of 20 invisible assasins on my capital kiev :(

7. nes18

nes18 Chieftain

Prussia is always a lot of fun. A good challenge but lots of possibilities.

8. RickFGS

RickFGS Deity

Mesopotamia: Phoenicia. It´s a challenge, they start on the middle of everyone.
    Rise of Rome: Carthage. It´s a challenge, and huge land to settle.
    Fall of Rome: Huns. It´s a challenge, and huge land to settle.
    Middle Ages: Byzantines. Love the empire thing still going on in the dark ages :D
    Mesoamerica: Mayas, best meso civ, and lots of warfronts, the toltecs are easy kill.
    Age of Discovery: Portugal. Best civ ever. Period.
    Sengoku: Donno, don´t play it much, where´s Tokyo anyway?
    Napoleonic Europe: Austria. It´s a challenge.
    WWII in the Pacific: Japan, why can´t i change history? at least i´ll try.

9. creamcheese

I think it was founded later than this time period? Or at least it was not as important.

10. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch King

Edo was renamed Tokyo in 1868.

11. RickFGS

RickFGS Deity

Now you have made me go and read on Asian history, something i realllyyy lack. :thanx:

12. scratchthepitch

scratchthepitch King

Reading the question about Tokyo made me curious also. So I did a websearch. I remembered Edo had been a capital of Japan, but hadn't realized they were the same city renamed.

13. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Yes, stupid Firaxis. The Oda and Imagawa have plenty of frotns and enemies, try unlocking the Otomo if you want to try it being boxed in down there at Kyūshū. Or the Chosokabe if you're hardcore.

NOBUNAGAAAAAA!!!!

P.S: The Date are also fun, you can eventually have a more or less continuous battle front.