Favorite Districts

Wintervoid

Chieftain
I like the new District system, but I will say that not all Districts are created equal. I tend to use the same districts game after game, and neglect the others. I imagine others have different Priorities.

For me, this is how I rate the districts (Not including Aqueducts and Neighborhoods)

1. Industrial Zone - I am betting this is number one for a lot of people. Every city has one ASAP.

2. Harbor - This is taking over the #2 spot from Commercial Hub. The main reason I like these is Trade Routes. Secondary reason is that I prefer the building that you can build in it vs a Commercial Hub. Harbors can't be built everywhere, but there are a priority if I have space/technology.

3. Commercial Hub - This is valuable because of the Trade Routes. It is somewhat interchangeable with the Harbor depending upon tech/terrain.

4. Theater Square - This is more of a later game addition, but especially for new cities I like to get one down to expand borders.

5. Encampment - This may get built earlier then some of the other districts, but many games I only build one in my main production city or sometimes in a strategic location for defense on a border city.

6. Entertainment - Another late game addition in most cases. It seems like I can keep current with Amenities through much of the game without these, but as cities grow, they are more essential.

7. Campus - Oh how the mighty have fallen. Rarely do I worry about Science, and if I do, 1-2 Campus are generally enough. I am glad to see Science is not the powerhouse it used to be, but I think it should be a bit more important to generate beakers.

8. Aerodrome - Rare to actually use these. Generally by the time I build these I have already effect9ively won the game, and they are just insurance in case I get attacked.

9. Spaceport - Like Aerodrome, these are mainly insurance for another victory path....but I have already effectively won by this stage.

10. Holy Site - I am sure this will be much farther up for many players, but after a few failed attempts to get Religion to work for me, I tend to just skip religion completely. Maybe I just have not seen the true benefits of Religion, but I don't think I have missed having it yet.

I have been playing on Emperor mainly. I have not played a conquest game for a while, and am self limiting myself to only use cities I have built. I am doing this to make the game more balanced, as it feels like I could win a domination game anytime I want vs the AI, and that doesn't seem fair/fun. That leaves me with Culture/Science for win conditions. I suppose I should dive into Religious for variety, and it seems like the AI does a bit better with Religious combat?

This list could change as I move up. Right now though, Production is King, and Trade Routes are Queen.

On Immortal+ I feel like campuses get a little more important, at least in mid game. 1-2 campuses in the early is usually enough though. I really like how you can settle a complete garbage city near an awesome mountain range, boost it with a trade route and get an amazing campus out of it ;)

Also nice to know is how each district affects trade routes to the city it's build in. You can really stack production or food per trade route. Harbor, commercial hub, industrial zone and encampment add production to trade routes which makes coastal cities with those districts an excellent city for internal trade routes. Campus, theatre square, entertainment complex and holy site add food.

1st- Encampment. As long as Horse Economy stay still, i think that Encampment must be the first must have District in every city. After that, you build unit only and use gold to buy buildings. With each military City state bonus, each encampment +6 prod, accumulate some military city state plus the % of policy, the bonus on units production will surpass any bonus production for buildings.
2nd- Industrial Zone. Really shine when factory come out. No need to say more about the important of production.
3rd- Harbor. Just because the same reason as Horse economy, Ship economy is game breaker too. The reason why it lowed to 3rd spot is Navy is not important like land forces, so very few players will choose policies for ship production.
4th- Commercial Hub. Trade Routes make your empire growth faster, Gold keep your empire stable.
5th- Aqueduct and Neighborhood. Provide houses for pop up, every city need it if you want 10+ pops. Not neccessary if you only need ICS with 5 pops.
6th- Entertainment. Your empire need them when going to war frequently, or going to have high pop cities.
7th- Theatre, Campus and Holy Site. Theatre and Campus for advancing, but its not so hard to have teches and civics in Civ6. Faith are more versatile in Civ 6, help you rush buy city center buildings, Units, some useful Religious buildings and units, on some cases, Faith is OP.

1. Industrial Zone
Extra production is too hard to pass up on :( Basically having an Industrial Zone helps pay forward somewhat for subsequent districts and buildings. And everything else.

2. Encampment
A source of defense that also provides housing and production. Afaik, the only districts that provide production are Industrial Zone, Encampment and Harbor, and Harbor requires a Shipyard for bonus production, whereas each Encampment building provides production along the way.

3. Harbor / Commercial Hub
The extra trade route from these districts is incredibly valuable. It's usually the main reason why I want either of these districts. Internal trade routes feel absolutely necessary towards jump starting new cities that don't have any infrastructure yet. Building roads with Traders is also something I prioritize greatly, as that will help with shuttling Builders from my more productive cities to my new cities. Once I think the city is somewhat self sustaining, I can then direct the Traders to city states for gold and stuff.

Beyond that, I somewhat favor Harbor more due to it taking up Sea tiles (which currently aren't contested for much else) and the buildings in Harbors providing a variety of bonuses too, such as food and housing and production.

4. Entertainment Complex
Luxuries are actually hard to come by for me given how much the AI likes to forward settle on my stuff. They generally don't stay friendly with me for very long, so I don't get good deals on luxuries either. The good news is that an Ent Complex itself doesn't care about adjacency with anything, so any tile will do. The other good news is that, starting with the Zoo building and onward, the amenities bonus provided by the Ent Complex radiates out to other cities, so I can keep my cities happy and functioning with a few well spaced Ent Complexes.

5. Aerodrome
I'm silly and I like air units too much. But even as much as I like air units, I must admit that the above districts are far more important than Aerodromes :( As mentioned earlier, Aerodromes arrive a little to late to be meaningful.

6. Campus / Holy Site
The positions for Campus and Holy Site here are somewhat misleading; during early game, I definitely intend to plop down at least one Campus near mountains for the science output, and maybe one Holy Site for the same. The above districts don't show up until much later in the game anyway. But more often than not, unless I'm Russia, I only build one Campus and one Holy Site for the rest of the game.

7. Theater Square
I don't think I've explicitly built many Theater Squares. Usually any Theater Squares I get come from cities that I've conquered :(

8. Spaceport
I haven't won a Space victory yet, though I'm working on it. I think I only want my most productive city (or cities) to be the ones that shoulder the burders of space projects.

It seems like theres tiers.
1: (always get) commercial/harbor and industrial
2: (get situationally) holysite, campus, encampent
3: (rarely get) Entertainment, spaceport, aerodrome
4: (almost never get) theater

entertainments in a hard spot, where right now its really not that needed. Like I really havent had unhappiness problems with an ICS style. build a city on every new luxury I can find, and it seems to work out.

Then theater is just so underwhelming. So is campus compared to what science used to be in civ 5. To me they should combine holysite and culture into a cultural site, which give you both faith and culture. Then with that I'd buff campus somehow.

Additionally, I wish campus and holysites couldn't be adjacent. There should have to be a choice. Do I want this city to be science or culture/faith focused?

Same with commerce and industrial. It always seems that commerce is a little weak in civ compared to real life. Like commerce should at the very least be as good as industrial.

Also aqueducts shouldn't take up a whole tile, neither should walls. They should run between tiles like a river. And aqueducts should be able to built adjacent to a river up to 2 tiles away, and 3 for mountains.

Neighborhood district should be unlocked much sooner (civil service seems about right) , and should give you gold over time like civ 4 did. cottage to village to town.

I think next game I'm going to try going with a slightly stronger Theater Square focus, just to see what happens. Adjacency bonuses being based on wonders seems pretty restrictive though, and the yields from the buildings in the Theater District don't seem great.

I do wish Great Artists/Writers/Musicians did something cool besides producing a great work, which I generally run out of space for. Political treatises and golden ages were always relevant and awesome to have.

Commercial hubs and harbors. Initially Industrial district overlap was my favorite thing but now I'm all about trade routes and it's ludicriously easy to synergize Commercial hub and Harbor bonuses since Hubs get +2 from both rivers and harbors, and the harbors still count toward the regular minor district bonus the hub should get too. All you need to do is plop 2 or more cities down around the mouth of a river and profit.

Spoiler :

That city's Hub is getting base +10, doubled with the Town charters policy. So this one District is providing the gold of 3 stock exchanges and haven't even built banks yet. The other hubs are all +10. I'll still have industrial district overlap in this area too.

Plus it just plain old looks cool to have bay like that.

Harbor buildings are good, but I prefer Commercial hubs because I like Great merchants than Great Admirals.

I also like theater districts because civics.

Commercial hubs and harbors. Initially Industrial district overlap was my favorite thing but now I'm all about trade routes and it's ludicriously easy to synergize Commercial hub and Harbor bonuses since Hubs get +2 from both rivers and harbors, and the harbors still count toward the regular minor district bonus the hub should get too. All you need to do is plop 2 or more cities down around the mouth of a river and profit.

Spoiler :

That city's Hub is getting base +10, doubled with the Town charters policy. So this one District is providing the gold of 3 stock exchanges and haven't even built banks yet. The other hubs are all +10. I'll still have industrial district overlap in this area too.

Plus it just plain old looks cool to have bay like that.

OT. Do you use some sort of graphic mod? Everything appears to be much easier to identify compared to what I am used to....

OT. Do you use some sort of graphic mod? Everything appears to be much easier to identify compared to what I am used to....
That's the strategic view. You can tick it on with one of the menus down by the mini map.

Industrial Zones and Commercial Hubs go in every city, and Harbors go in every city that has a valid location for one (even if it's in a lake). Factory/Power Plant overlap and internal trade routes are the strongest economic building blocks in the game right now. I have to agree that Great Merchants are a lot better than Great Admirals though--getting things like extra trade routes, free luxuries, a free economic policy slot, or a bank with 2 great work slots are all great. Still, harbors have their own benefits, mostly that they always use a crappy tile rather than a good one.

Hansa is my overall favorite district. Industrial zones are great, of course, but Hansa is love - built faster, provides bigger output, doesn't count against "district count" (and belongs to a civ that gets an extra district on top of that, which is insanity). Hansa "diamonds" between cities (diamond shape of Hansa and commercial) can't be matched (and the synergy between Hansa and commercial along with district overload with germany means you'll have a bazillion trade routes for even more production)..

When not playing as Germany I still do industrial and commercial everywhere too - you kind of need to for production, money, and trade routes (usually for more production in weaker cities).

I like all the districts that replace "district count" districts since they build faster, don't count against "district count", and provide more oomph.

I kind of wish campuses were more required for science - if you go wide (which why wouldn't you in Civ 6) you get so much science thru pop that you barely need them. You pretty much have to build the other core district types to push production, amenities, culture, religion/faith, but you can somewhat skate for campuses if you're wide. I never seem to invest in "science" in 6 nearly as much as I would've in 5 and in most games have blown the AIs away by mid/late game.

If you're talking about favorites, then mine would be Commercial Hubs, followed closely by Harbors, because trade routes ftw. However, necessities are a different matter, in which case, Industrial Zones would be on top of my list due to how ridiculous production costs scale at the moment. I found Entertainment Squares to be my least favorite and least used district, but it's usually because I have abundant luxury resources that I could trade for another.

Top Bottom