1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Era?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Nimzo Lord, Nov 17, 2009.

?

Prefered Era?

1. Ancient

12 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Classical

25 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Medieval

19 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. Renaissance

31 vote(s)
    25.4%
  5. Industrial

26 vote(s)
    21.3%
  6. Modern

9 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Nimzo Lord

Nimzo Lord Chieftain

So which of the six stages of the game do you like the most?:shifty:

2. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Hard pick, but I'm going to go with the Renaissance. I think the Ancient Age is a little too formulaic--your capital is your only serious city for most of this period, so whatever you do comes down to what you started with.

Stuff starts to get exciting once you establish your borders, get siege equipment, and start getting more civics. I think it reaches its peak by about the Renaissance, but I've always been a sucker for the massed rifles, cannons, and the Age of Sail.

3. Junuxx

Junuxx Chieftain

Classical, I think. Lots of strategy in city placement en teching choices.

It's a shame the jumps to rifles and then tanks are so huge, because their tactical advantage make the following strategy rather dumb.

4. 0range

0range Chieftain

Industrial! :ar15:

5. globaooba

globaooba The Wolpertinger

I like classical best mostly because of the music. Aincient music is just boring and the medieval music is boring chanting and stuff.

6. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Definitely. Once the borders start emerging, that's when the real game starts. Everything else is just a prologue. :)

7. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Chieftain

Industrial here. It's when Wars start feeling like Wars and not just petty skirmishes.

8. Darth Fred

Darth Fred Chieftain

Renaissance. Hands down. I see I'm not alone.
    :D
    F

9. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

I WANT to like the modern/future era the best, because there's so many cool options for military units at that point. However, usually the game is decided one way or another before I get there. I said renaissance, because that's usually the most critical time in my games. Everybody's finished settling cities, the map is fleshed out, I've (usually) won the liberalism race and now it's time to go to war!

10. Raizer

Raizer Chieftain

In peacetime, I like the Classical era, because that's when you start founding your 2nd, 3rd, 4th cities. Slow, peaceful expansion and undisturbed teching, except for the occasional barb.

I voted Medieval, though, because I prefer warring in that era. It's the time where units are advanced enough to be more than just a bunch of suicide attackers, and primitive enough that the game retains the "history" feel.

11. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Chieftain

Interesting poll. I would have added an option for "No Preference" because I don't have a favorite era. Each has its own challenges and rewards for me.

12. Nimzo Lord

Nimzo Lord Chieftain

That didn't occur to me. :(

13. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Do you mean secondary, tertiary, etc. cities (as in, second tier cities), or literally you don't found a second city until you get to the Classical Age? I was a little confused when I read through your post.

14. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Chieftain

It's a good poll. Most people do have a favorite. I, on the other hand, can lose easily and with much practice in any era. ;)

15. Shafi

Shafi Chieftain

Ancient for me -

1) The thrill of exploring the map is just cool.
    2) No to mention some early rushing :mischief:

16. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Modern just because the warfare becomes really interesting. Now that everyone (at least should) have huge armies, you're no longer just invading with one giant stack of everything, but should have multiple huge stacks. Plus the added layer of strategy with air vehicles just adds even more fun!

17. Saiko

Saiko That one guy

I like the rennaisance era because that's when you can colonize new continents and stuff.

18. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

Bwa-ha-ha!

19. w2w2w

w2w2w Chieftain

I voted for medieval because I think thats when you get to build castles, when you research construction and engineering

20. kochman

kochman Chieftain

Medieval... you have the most tech parity there, and the defense can really make some stands. Castles, knights, macemen, trebuchets...
    Castles I find to be very cool.
    This is also a time when space is probably severely limited, so this leads to more wars too.

I like the tech choices you have to make here to get to your way out of the period.

Interestingly, of the civs I made, most of them were rolling high during this period too.
    Renaissance would be next... then classical.