Favorite Firaxis Quotes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stretchy Man, Dec 1, 2010.

1. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

You're right of course. I just learnt another meaning of nonsensical. I thought you were more going for it being 'meaningless' / having no intelligible meaning. It has meaning, but it's not rational / 'doesn't make sense' --> nonsensical.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hopefully the revised quote sheds some light regardless.

2. zonk

zonk Prince

See - I have the exact opposite reading based on actually getting the game.

I can only divine two things from this statement, now having played the game:

1) When Jon said/wrote this, he was rolling his eyes and basically throwing nothing more than a rhetorical bone to the civ builder caste -- as in, it's little more than something you're supposed to say, so he said it, but didn't mean it

or perhaps even worse -

2) Jon/no one on the dev team really UNDERSTANDS this statement.

Why?

Because everything streamlined in V was done at the very EXPENSE of those builders Jon claimed to be satisfying.

Can anyone name me one thing, even one tiny small thing that was done for the builder set in V?

The elimination of religion most certainly had a more deleterious impact on the builders than anyone else.

The removal of health was a city management - i.e., BUILDER - mechanic

The globalization of happiness was a streamlining and simplification of builder play.

The genericizing of resources was a harm to builders.

I'm much, much more discouraged by this quote than encouraged -- because the exact OPPOSITE of this quote was the reality of V.

2KLiz - if you're still around, I'd very much like some sort of comment from someone at Firaxis about this...

Saying it means nothing -- what do you and the development team feel you included in V to accomplish this statement? What features added in V support this statement? Do you understand that a lot of things you removed WERE a big part of that dovish/builder style play?

Maybe you can make the warmongers and conquerors happy by spiffing up the tactical AI and fixing diplomacy --- but what about those of us that Jon claimed to be "catering to"? What is there for us?

Or heck, at a very basic level -- do you even understand that you came nowhere near meeting this statement?

Forget the AI, forget hard or easy, forget all else -- the problem with CiV from a builder perspective is that the game is extremely boring. Catering to a "builder" isn't a matter of slapping on VC alternatives to conquest or domination -- you need to make those paths fun and interesting. You need to provide interesting things to do on those paths.

Right now, there isn't.

Other than picking fights or going to war -- the peaceful/builder path is a barren wasteland of Next Turn, Next Turn, Next Turn.

I'd just like some small indication that SOMEONE at Firaxis hears that complaint... because among the non-conqueror set, I think I'm being fair in saying that the overwhelming majority of "builders" would agree you missed the mark so badly, we're quite justified in wondering if you really even tried.

3. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

AHA! So this mysterious "secret sauce" is what left such an awful aftertaste :lol:

I'd like to order my next helping of Civ 5 without the "secret sauce." Can I get a side of fries with that? ;)

Btw, I wouldn't take this all so seriously. Marketing hype is marketing hype - nothing more - and it's just amusing to contrast those statements with the realities of the game right now. It's worth it for the lulz, but I don't think that reasonably leads to insulting specific Firaxis / 2K employees.

4. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

Unfortunately what happened in Bizarro world, didn't stay in Bizarro world.
    Or even in the bathroom at the bus station. :p

5. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Those quotes are more entertaining than the game itself. :lol:

Thanks for that.

6. mike20599

mike20599 Chieftain

Somebody post this on the offiical 2kgames forums please!

7. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

I read your post, and you are very well masked troll.

In this tread people make fun of Firaxis hype and claims, which as we found out mostly false. It is not a science paper with lot of nitty lined arguments.

You attacking people precision, personal attacks, and now grammar. You sir is a troll.
    Moderator Action: Accusing someone of being a troll is trolling itself, and that again is not allowed here.

8. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Haha nice. I laughed a bit. These words make me think about politicians who want to be elected before an election. Liars!!!

9. jagdtigerciv

jagdtigerciv Prince

Truly embarrassing for Firaxis.

10. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

@zonk- #2 seems more likely than #1 (if they think it necessary to pander to non-wargamers, then that would've translated through to the product), but I wouldn't necessarily think either is the case. It's most likely a matter of execution rather than intent.

11. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Heh... No I think their secret sauce was fine.. but remember that scene Harold and Kumar go to white castle? Where they're at the drive-thru? That's what happened to their secret sauce.

12. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

"Most moddable Civilization yet!" Firaxis web ad

13. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

Reading this made me feel exactly the same as when when arguing with Civ V fans.

It's like we're not even discussing about the same game here? Where is this wonderful game everyone's talking about? Night and Day I tell you...

14. Peregrine

Peregrine The Swift

:lol: Sketch . . . was that a Freudian slip? "sane?"

FWIW, yeah, agreed. Doesn't seem sane does it?

:D

15. sketch162000

sketch162000 Warlord

Hah...thought I got away with it for a second :lol:

16. Escalate

Escalate Chieftain

:dubious:

No matter if he's kidding or not, it's epic. :lol:

17. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

Unfortunately, it seems the Civ 5 team was way more busy with the marketing side of the business than with the gameplay/balance/quality assurance side...

Cheers,

Mad Hab

18. Stretchy Man

Stretchy Man Chieftain

With an all new game engine, and lush incredible graphics, Civilization 5 earns its position as the ultimate strategy game experiance and the finest Civilization ever developed. Making of Civilization 5 video.

Civ 5 has a level of polish and quality appreciated by its millions of fans worldwide. Making of Civilization 5 video.

Multiplayer has always been important to Civ 5. Shirk.

To me Civ 5 is an acknowledge of the civ community. It's something that people have been asking for or kind of waiting for to come out. Meier.

We want to make sure we keep the same amount of depth as you would see in Civ 4. Shafer.

Most of what I know now about making games was learned at Firaxis while I was an intern. Shafer.

I was the kid, the young guy, and they used to tease me all the time. In a lot of ways it was a bit weird for [my coworkers]. But they recognized that I knew what I was doing, that I was there because I knew Civilization, had ideas I wanted to use and brought passion to it. Shafer.

I'm probably the best at the company (Firaxis) right now. People tend to gang up on me in multiplayer when testing and I still win. Shafer.

I used to be one of the most hardcore players of Civ 3. I had spreadsheets that calculated times for workers constructing various improvements on map tiles and how many turns it would take them to get to a different tile to construct something and when the city would start working on the exact turn. I do have that experience knowing how much someone can get into a game and adds to the experience of someone when designing a game for an entire group of people that is really hardcore. Shafer.

As a former modder, I want to make sure that all you guys are making lots of amazing stuff for Civ 5. If not I will cry. Shafer.

The wonders are fairly powerful. It was one of our goals to make them a little bit beefier than they were in Civ 4. It's much more interesting when you have that big powerful bonus. Shafer.

I've dished a fair bit of criticism in my day, so I'm certainly in no place to ask for mercy now. Ultimately you realize that the reason why people are so passionate is because they love the game, and want it to be the best game possible. Shafer.

The AI has been a big focus for us. We've had several programmers working on various elements of it to ensure the AI is a competent and interesting opponent. We talked above about the removal of religion, and as noted, a major reason for that was to provide a more rational AI. For players looking for more from the AI, this should be a noticeable upgrade. Shafer.

All of this means there's much more to diplomacy in Civ V than simply trading things. Shafer.

One of our early goals was to improve the diplomatic experience in the game. In particular, we want there to be a sense of mystery to it, where the player doesn't know exactly what to expect from the other players. Additionally, we want the AI to be fairly rational when it comes to how to deal with challenges and opportunities. Shafer.

Enhancing diplomacy was one of our focuses with Civ V. Our goal was to make diplomacy feel more like interacting with other players or world leaders, rather than a system to be min-maxed. Shafer.

There are several things which we are looking at improving with Civ 5. These changes will go out with the next big update in a few weeks. The plan is also to make major revisions to the diplomacy system, and while I can't talk about the details yet, I think you all will find them an improvement. That will be added with an update later this year. Also included will be a number of AI upgrades. Shafer.

19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

I'm really liking civ 5 now especially with the new patch coming out, but omg these new ones are just gold. I'd comment on each of these quotes I find hilarious, but I'd have to comment on just about all of them :crazyeye:

Seriously, is being a pathological liar a requirement for marketing?

20. Stretchy Man

Stretchy Man Chieftain

The first thing I find shocking about all of this is how much Firaxis feels it needs to hype yet another version of the most famous strategy game ever. Those of us who loved Civ 4 will be buying it regardless, although the level of BS coming out of Firaxis should have given us second thoughts. I doubt the pretty graphics will make much difference to those who didn't previously like civ. This level of hype will seriously harm a company if they fail to deliver most of what was promised.

The second, is the number of 'professional' software engineers at Firaxis playing the marketing game, patting each other on the back and boasting of their amazing technical achievements, and what an amazing game we are being treated to.

[pissed]