1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Firaxis Quotes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stretchy Man, Dec 1, 2010.

1. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Stretchy Man, could you please provide links to where you pull the quotes from?

Some of these quotes are hard to get a meaning from without their context... e.g.
    "All of this means there's much more to diplomacy in Civ V than simply trading things. Shafer."

As it is, all you're doing is chopping off the parts from quotes to make them look as embarrassing as possible. Most of these quotes are probably responses to questions in interviews, right?

As for criticising the devs in their marketing of the game? What do you expect? As best I can tell you're pulling quotes from several months worth of communication with the media. Gamers beg for pre-release info and the devs of civ tended to give us a bit more info than last time round, before the game was released. Of course one has to expect it all to put it in a positive light, probably more than the game deserves.

Re the 'making of' video, I suspect that was mainly put together by 2K guys. I don't think Firaxis are that up themselves. Or were those quotes taken from a Firaxis dev?

2. Jarwy

Jarwy Warlord

Shafer, Shafer, Shafer... designing a game is not at all like making a cup of coffee. Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

3. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Those latest quotes sound quite cocky. I understand marketing talk, but a little more humility wouldn't hurt.

4. PieceOfMind

The problem is it's not the people who made the game who are saying those things. I'm assuming you are speaking of the the first two quotes in particular, from Stretchy Man's latest addition of quotes to the thread.

5. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

Just thought I would contribute to the quote collection:

Well Civilopedia is really the best source of documentation for the game. It pretty much has the up to date rules and values of everything because it's pulling the data straight from the same places that the game itself is pulling it. Brian Wade

The Civilopedia does have a lot of information on it so trying to make sure that you can get to the important parts and things that will help you learn what's going on is pretty important. Jon Shafer

The diplomatic victory, for example, is very reliant upon city-states like I said. If all the city-states are wiped out of the game, I forget the exact math, but it could be theoretically impossible to win a diplomatic victory just because the other players are not going to vote for you. It's not like Civ IV where you could threaten them or whatever. They kind of play it more as a game where they say, “I'm not gonna vote for you because voting for you will win the game for you. I have no interest in that, I want to win.” Jon Shafer

6. PieceOfMind

Any sources? Pretty please

7. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Forum Buzzkill Super Moderator

Thank you, Stretchy Man. I'm glad I took a peek in here after a few weeks off. This thread is hilarious! :goodjob:

It took over a month for this game to work properly on my Radeon 5970 using DX11, and almost two months for a friend of mine to be able to use his cards in Crossfire with V.

Oh, it runs, but even with a quad core at 4.1 GHz, I can still almost make tea between turns in the late game. If it hasn't crashed by then.

Bacteria has a "culture", too, and it isn't always good. The little things are nice, though. Too bad most of them don't work right.

The senior engineers must have been tone deaf.

Secret sauce? There must have been some funny mushrooms in that sauce...

Yup. MP works great. We can all play at the same time, just not together (very well).

It means that we can lock your machine up with Draconian measures, data mine it, and suspend your account arbitrarily, or for saying mean things to your mum.

For me, I enjoy the flexibility of developing my empire in Civ4, because Civ5 causes me unhappiness. - Natasha (Lemon. My statement has more credibility with my real name. What? It's supposed to work for Firaxis. A whole lot of people fell for what they said, and they use real names. :lol:)

The art team did the AI? No wonder it's such a mess!

I retitled my Civ5 icon: "Civilization Unloaded". ;)

8. Harald

Harald Prince

I must second this.

Even if it might be fun to just read the quotes out of context it is much more useful to have a link to the source as well. If not for having them in a proper context then for simply proving that they just aren't made up(Not saying that this has happened in this thread).

Besides looking at hype quotes and comparing them to the actual result, the game, is interesting in itself. To be able to this properly the context from where the quotes come from is necessary.

9. Toady

Toady Chieftain

We want to make sure we keep the same amount of depth as you would see in Civ 4.

The use of the word depth in any sentence used to describe CIV V should be a felony...

Using it in conjunction with Civ IV should be a capital offense.

10. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

Hilarious.

Maybe Sid should play the game for more than five minutes next time...

This is my favourite. Especially because he stated in the latest interview that they wanted Civ 5 to be more appealing to new players.

Yeah, hitting that "end of turn"-button for hours to finish a granary, only to be crushed by an AI who focused on military units instead, is very fun.

Like 1upt and hexes and City States and Social Policies... and... no wait, that's it.

:shake:

I rest my case.

11. PieceOfMind

I think people are just venting here, and doing it together makes it fun. The desire to understand the intention of the original message from where the quote is pulled is mostly absent, so we probably won't see any sources given for these after all.

Google searching some of these doesn't even yield anything, which does put a bit of a question mark on whether they're real or not.

The following quote barely even makes sense
    Whether that's a quote from February or September would make quite a difference, for example. We don't know if he's talking mainly of the finished product or something that has barely even been started. We also don't know whether it's a response to a specific question in an interview or something he just mentioned of his own volition, or even a discussion with other developers and Elizabeth in a podcast.

12. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

"america was born as a democrazy and we'd be hardpressed to switch to communism... it just doesnt seem to work that way in the real world."
    Interview with Firaxis producer Dennis Shirk around 35min.

Ofcourse!!! Because US of A didnt switch to Communism means that any communist country didnt switch to democracy, not to talk about monarchies and republics around the world. The narrowmindness of some Americans are shocking, but IIRC JS is a history major, which makes this kind of statement even more shocking.
    But ofcourse it makes sense to meet G.Washington in his nice cozy office 3500 BC.
    I read/saw in an interview (I cant find it right now, so if anyone remembers and can link it, I'd appreciate) with one of the Firaxis guys, that Jon Schafer was given the title of Designer because he was whining, trolling and complaining alot. Way to go Firaxis. Good thing Hara-kiri is not tradition in the US.

13. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Well, we have been provided with quite some podcasts...

So, let's have a look at them regarding the Civilopedia (podcast #11, September 17th; transcript):
    Same transcript.
    This was how many days prior to release?

14. SevenSpirits

SevenSpirits Immortal?

I've noticed that the podcast transcripts on the Civ5 site are not indexed by Google. I think most of these quotes are from those. It's too bad people didn't attribute them.

15. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

this quotas from podcasts and do not have script available as text on internet, how you this people have to reference them? Stop accusing folk of making them up, go listen for podcasts.

16. Peregrine

Peregrine The Swift

17. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

er...all the Civ5 podcasts have a transcript.

18. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

"The thing is, Civ V is a big sloppy kiss/love letter to our fan community. We want it to be for the hardcore." Shirk.

Hardcore enough?

19. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Warlord

Lets dont forget the promise that multiplayer would be "awesome". This is laughable at best and it only proves they were trying to seperate the consumer from their wallet even if it meant flat out lies.
    If anyone is interested in how to return your copy of civ5 for an exchange pm me and i will be more then glad to tell you.

20. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

I'd like Shafer to explain to me the AI behavior on my last game: the English were pretty powerful, and decided to attack Songhai. To help them hold the invasion off, I gave Askia several advanced units (I was ahead on technology). It worked - Askia even conquered a couple of English cities with the troops I gave him.

Later, he decided to declare war on Washington, and asked me to join in. I said "no" the first time, but on the second I asked for 10 turns, and then joined the fray. On the moment I made my second city capture, Askia ended our cooperation pact and all pacts of secrecy he had with me...

I made the guy a powerhouse and now he dislikes me. Is this what they call "Enhanced Diplomacy"? :p

Cheers!

Mad Hab