1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Firaxis Quotes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stretchy Man, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

Actually this is pretty realistic when you consider relations between the USA and some of the middle eastern states they've armed and equipped in the past.

2. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

No, it is not. I have not messed up with Askia. I did not sent my executives there to prey for "easy money" opportunities. I didn't demand his oil in exchange for peanuts. I didn't support an oppressive elite, who cares only for concentrating wealth and cares nothing for the starving masses.

There are several reasons for some middle east states to hate the USA. While Askia could think I was maybe too powerful, my actions flashed "ALLY" all over them - but the "enhanced" diplomacy system is too obtuse to understand that...

If they can't make it work, maybe they should stick with the "plus-minuses system that it's meant to be maximized". While imperfect, at least, the AI can understand that...

Cheers,

Mad Hab

3. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

Your right of course.
    It was more of a toungue in cheek comment on my part. (shoud've put some smilies in there)
    I've had several head scratching experiences in Diplomacy to the point where the only activity I engage in anymore is trading of luxury items

4. timtofly

timtofly One Day

I think that in trying to make the AI "human" it does not need a reason for anything it does. The only Ally you can trust is a CS.

Actually the game works just fine for me on a slightly below specs laptop. I am a builder though.

5. Mad Hab

Mad Hab Warlord

The thing is, I don't think they tried to make the AI "human". They designed it to try to win the game as hard as they can (sadly, they are not that able to do so). But as much as Sid likes to say that the game is built with the 'players' in mind, they forgot to think about the consequences of this "ever-backstabbing" AI: it is frustrating for the players to build a friendly relation with a particular AI only to see it destroyed by a city conquest or a wonder completion.

Mind you, not all players are Genghis Khan - some are Gandhi. This should also apply to the AI, but Firaxis made all Civ 5 leaders Genghis Khan with this concept that the AI must try to win at all costs...

Best,

Mad Hab

6. timtofly

timtofly One Day

My response is still the same. Instead of looking at the AI as "ever-backstabbing", I think they should be viewed as random actions with no reasons for doing so. While this may be somewhat "unrealistic" it was to make the game more exciting, but it seems to have backfired. They put in CS's so you could have trusted Allies, even though it means "bribing". While this may have hampered diplomacy in the way we are used too, if you take out the randomness factor it would make the game less interesting also. IIR there is a DoW if the AI "thinks" it has a chance and this is still "weighted" with the 50% random factor. I am sure that someone will come up with the formula that every "10" turns the AI will have a choice to DoW, and ever so often that choice will be DoW by "random" even if the AI is committing suicide.

7. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

That's a good point.

If they're from podcasts, then it would be sufficient to say firstly that they are from a pdocast (that already helps narrow down the search a lot) and preferably which one they are from.

I think I only listened to the first podcast in full. I found them pretty boring from a non-developer's point of view so I haven't heard much of what's said in them. Honestly, I'm not sure I want to go and listen to everyone one of them just to check the context of a quote. It wouldn't take much more than a second or two for a person posting a quote to mention the number of the podcast it comes from.

8. pazmacats

pazmacats Warlord

Why would anyone want to take to you or Greg? Moderator Action: To answer your own question, you just did. Please be a little more kind in the future, thanks. :)
    Did you read the 1st page of this thread? Do you play computer strategy games?

9. Stretchy Man

Stretchy Man Chieftain

Here's a few more. Sorry if you've all heard enough of this crap. :)

"We've done what we can to pull the player back into diplomacy instead of being an observer to diplomacy". Shirk
    http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/215018/civilization-5/

"Yeah, there’s certainly more to Civ than just combat, but if you go and compare conquering the world with selecting 10 Buildings from a list for each of your cities… well, I know what I find more interesting." Shafer
    http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2008/02/27/thoughts-on-appeasement-and-compellence/

"Compare Civ V to Civ I, [Civ V] is much closer to [Civ I] than any other game out there. So much of it is passed on from the original design that he made that I think it's appropriate [to have Meier's name on the box]." Shafer
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6252/shafers_next_step_from_civ_to_.php?page=3

"When I first started in 2005, I knew I wanted to make games. I didn't know that much about making games. You think you know; everybody thinks they know." Shafer.
    http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/215031/civilization-5-page-2/

"Thanks to all who have purchased the game - the plan is definitely to continue improving the experience for everyone playing. The game isn't perfect, but we feel good about the foundation laid so far, and expect Civ 5 will stand up with every other game out there and continue to get better over time. I can ensure that I'll be working on Civ 5 as long as I'm able to." Shafer just before resigning

"Jon represents the best and brightest in PC gaming design. We welcome Jon to our growing team of world-class PC game developers, designers, and producers. I am also looking forward to working with Jon on one of our upcoming PC games. His passion and skill at game design combined with Stardock's commitment of long-term support for its titles and technological expertise will drive our PC games to new heights." Stardock President.
    http://www.stardock.com/products/mycolors/nba/press.asp?d=&id=2280

"Without Jon, there's no realistic way we can take our game engine and make it extensible via Python and such. I would challenge any Internet person to name someone more qualified to make a game extensible than Jon Shafer. Anyone." Stardock President.
    http://forums.stardock.com/403506

"One thing that I will say though, is that Stardock's games are awfully complex, and probably need to be streamlined some so as to not confuse new players. I can't talk about too many details on what our detailed plans are yet, but a little tease can’t hurt.

Right now I'm thinking we'll trim the interface down to one big button in the middle of the screen, 1024 pixels wide by 768 pixels tall (approximately - will vary based on the resolution of the user’s monitor). The text on this button will say "Win the Game." I've had some discussions with Brad and the marketing team about this, and everyone is really excited by the possibilities. We've seen it work well in products from other publishers, and I really feel that this new direction will result in Stardock's games appealing to a much larger audience. We'll do some focus testing and see how things go. If people are still having some trouble grasping the gameplay concepts we may have to simplify things a bit more. I'll keep you guys posted!" Shafer
    http://forums.stardock.com/403503

"I think criticism affects everybody in some way or another, especially in games, because you put so much of yourself into what you make, and you want people to experience that. And if there are people that don't enjoy it, then that's disappointing. Every game is different, and every game has different priorities and directives. You do the best you can with that, and each time you learn a little bit more. Nobody likes having their work criticized, but you just aim to get better, and hopefully next time they'll change their minds and we'll win them back." Shafer
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6252/shafers_next_step_from_civ_to_.php?page=3

10. Stretchy Man

Stretchy Man Chieftain

11. Bad Brett

Bad Brett King

Actually, these quotes from 2008 are rather depressing:

Spoiler :
    http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2008/02/27/thoughts-on-appeasement-and-compellence/

It's so obvious that he's only interested in the "war part". Civ V seems to have turned out exactly how he wanted it to be; A tactical war game in which the player don't have to worry about taking care of cities, diplomacy or war weariness.

My feeling is that Jon was rather ignorant and didn't even care about the features that he personally didn't find enjoyable, such as diplomacy. Instead he felt that if the player could avoid war by using diplomacy, it would remove much of the fun.

Sometimes it becomes so obvious that he's only 25.

12. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

...and it's not even a good tactical war game, it's rubbish. Trouble is - and I've just seen this in a linked review posted elsewhere here - it isn't just Shafer, a lot of gamers and reviewers seem to conflate strategy and tactics. (True, it is far worse when the software house can't tell the difference - I can't imagine Paradox making that mistake - after playing EU3 recently, I'll take a lot of persuading to go near any new Firaxis products.)

I think the term 'Grand Strategy' is now an absolute necessity in defining the genre that Civ games properly belong to, TBS isn't good enough. It's the preferred genre term on Wikipedia, for a start...

13. ash88

ash88 Hail to the King Baby -DN

Post Of The Year Award

What will we do with all of our extra time this year now that we don't need to read these forums anymore?

14. cman2010

cman2010 King

awsome quotes op

15. jtb1127

jtb1127 Deity

"Civilization 5 has a new naturally organic look to it."

Wow, Firaxis dumped a lot of bs information on us.

16. jmik99

jmik99 Chieftain

This post is brilliant! :king:

The quotes made me laugh my ass off :lol:

17. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

[IRONY = ON]

I don't know what you people are talking about, several of these quotes are true:

Hey, she said "new height", not "new high". If the AI level is as low as under the sea level, it is, still, a "new height".

The AI is, indeed, brutal on deity. Brutally dumb. And he admits that he accuses AI of cheating, so nothing new.

Of course not, you can perfectly win without spending a dime or doing anything else that requires thought, really. All the time.

Sid did play this game and aproved, here's his stamp:

Spoiler :

Don't you think it's a prodigy how a single person can ruin almost 2 decades of a successful franchise? Cos I do!

Jon is excelent in what he does: chop down a game.

And Sid sure needs some help from time to time, for example:
    Spoiler :

He certainly did. Succeeded in making Civilization Revolution 5, this store knows it well: http://www.getitnow.gr/prod/compute...rs-civilization-revolution-5-pc/prod690282pp/

A big sloppy "kiss my ***!".

And you have to be a really hardcore fan to keep playing this game, that's for sure.

Civilization is about building: building units to make war.

Here's how he catered both styles: if you like to make war, make it. If you don't like to make war, don't worry, we will make it for you.

Well, they removed religions and gave us the "piety" social policy that indeed increases the happiness of your empire, so they haven't removed religion completly and are making people very happy.

Well, they certainly did their jobs, Gandhi declares war on everybody all the time.

Come on guys! This quotes are all true!

[IRONY = OFF]

Honestly, this thread should be sticked and this post should be put right below the OP:

18. Stretchy Man

Stretchy Man Chieftain

I was all like, "I can do that", now I'm like [screams in a manly whisper]. And people are like, "what are you doing", and I'm like, "same thing you'd be doing!" Drawing on that experience lets you see a lot of things that might not be obvious if you hadn't. Shafer
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/civilization-v-interview

Oh, I'm ready. I know what's coming. I've dished it out in the past, now it's my turn to get it dished. Shafer
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/civilization-v-interview

Good question, why build your own thing? I hope that from a technology standpoint, and I think people already do and I've talked to – I know a lot of the graphics leads and a lot of perks of the industry, a lot of friends of mine and we trade war stories. We go to GDC and you're on the table and you're telling a war story, “look what my artist did to me” and you know, scar here. “Look what my artist did to me.” And it's interesting hearing what their problems are and one of the things that kind of struck me is how we had built technology in certain areas that just far exceeded what people were telling me was possible. They said, “well you can't do that” and I'm like, “but we are.” And they're like “how are you doing that?” And I'm like “I don't know how you're not!” We don't understand like where certain situations where our performance is just beyond what even the hardware guys are telling us “but you can't do that” and we're like, “but we are.” And so in some situations I hope that the response is, “oh wow look what you can actually do.” A lot of times people say something's impossible until they see it done and then it's, “oh wait, yeah that could be done.” Dan Baker
    http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/podcast_transcript_5

The AI has been a big focus for us. We've had several programmers working on various elements of it to ensure the AI is a competent and interesting opponent. We talked above about the removal of religion, and as noted, a major reason for that was to provide a more rational AI. For players looking for more from the AI, this should be a noticeable upgrade. Shafer
    http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/109/1096888p2.html

The biggest change is that Civ V uses Steam to manage multiplayer games. This means we'll have all of the standard functionality you'd expect from a Steam-based multiplayer game. Shafer

Additionally, we're enhancing the diplomatic victory in Civ V. Similar to the previous games, this requires winning the UN election. Every player in the game has 1 vote, including the city-states, making them vital to winning this way. Should a city-state be conquered, they can be liberated, and if this happens that city-state is guaranteed to vote for the liberator in the UN election. The ability to provide "gifts" of gold to the city-states should result in some exciting finishes. Shafer

Promising something before its finalized is not a good idea and never benefits the community or the devs - it's much, much better for you guys to hear what we definitely know rather than an idea, or a hope - almost always those communications are misinterpreted and the last thing I want is for you guys to think we're doing something that doesn't end up happening. It's about making sure what we say is accurate. Elizabeth Tobey
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?101152-Community-and-2K-Firaxis

You are overreacting. I would never say for certain I knew something was in when I had knowledge it was, in fact, not. You guys being able to trust me is important - which is why it's important to tell you that what I said was wrong. Elizabeth Tobey
    http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?101762-A-request-for-2k

:(

19. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

Sounds like a lot of you guys keep up on the Firaxis podcasts and press releases and stuff. So here are two questions for ya:

1) Has Sid said anything about this game? Either before or after release? I would love to know what he thinks.

2) At this point, what exactly is the relationship between Sid Meier's and Firaxis? Based on past history, I sort of imagined Sid as the big boss of that company, but I'm wondering if that is not true? I remember that somebody, Sid or Firaxis or someone sold the Civilization franchise to 2K Games sometime before Civ4 came out right? It is bewildering, all these corporations, and individuals involved in these things. Could someone clarify?

20. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Sid Meier is "Creative Director". Whatever that means.