1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Firaxis Quotes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stretchy Man, Dec 1, 2010.

1. code9

code9 Warlord

:lol: @ jacyp

@Anthropoid,
    as far as I know, Sid and the guys sold the franchise but kept some right via working for Firaxis. Sid basically took a bunch of cash out of it, and decided he wanted to try out some other projects along the way. He wasn't as active in civ5 dev, if you look at some interviews. It seems to me like he took his little facebook team and went into a little room to play around with his idea. This is after Civ Rev failed. So imho, Sid just doesn't want to design games like he used to, or he's grown old and out of touch. When you're older you generally prefer to play simpler games. It wouldn't surprise me if he was the main force behind simplifying Civ5.

2. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

:confused: :crazyeye:

3. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Reading those makes it plain as day that either:
    1) Firaxis 2K is living in a dream bubble and can't tell reality from their dreamworld.
    2) They are straight-up telling non-truths for the marketing hype.
    3) Or they just don't know what they are talking about from lack of communication between groups.

We all know 2K is a very shoddy run company, which doesn't do a good job at much of anything, so I would pick #3; in which Firaxis has probably been heavily infected by now by 2K's shoddiness.

It would be nice if 2K Greg and Elizabeth (and the rest) would actually explain their statements without all their rhetoric. Of course they would have no reasonable explanation to give. No wonder they left, and close threads all the time over at 2K for no reason.

4. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Probably a combination of all 3 points.

No, he hasn't said anything.
    But don't forget, he's responsible for CivFacebook...

Take2 owns 2K owns Firaxis, Civ rights are, AFAIK, at 2K, and Sid is, like it has already been said, creative director of Firaxis.

5. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

Hmmphh. Well. I guess even Michael Jackson got weird and his art declined as he aged.

The Rolling Stones seem to be the exception, not the rule.

6. Sephi

Sephi Deity

I wouldn't be surprised if CivFacebook becomes a real huge success. It's the type of game that can be designed to be easy to learn, difficult to master. [CIV V mode on] it sure has potential :lol:

7. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

This is a Post of the Year. OP for New Chief Designer on Civ V!

8. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

He should be there to make sure that the designers don't screw it up.
    So yeh, epic fail on his part as well.

9. Chode

Chode Warlord

These made me the angriest. If by "taking the AI to new heights" means "we took civ 5's AI from the height of sea level down to the god damn core of the earth" then yeah I guess that is true.

"The top tier of difficulty is so good it seems like it is cheating." That is because it is cheating. It still sucks and can be utterly steamrolled by someone who has played Civ before and isn't some moron "gaming journalist" who rated the game based on its marketing budget and hype.

As for the big sloppy love letter, that letter gave me AIDS.

10. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

It is not only this.

CivFacebook has been delayed for almost one year now, if memory serves me right. It is Meier's baby.

Civ5 is assumed to have been rushed out of the gate in a premature state.

Now, I may have missed something, but my feeling is that the Civilization series was the cashcow of Firaxis so far.
    What means that the cashcow has been rushed, but his playtoy is allowed to stay and grow (and to cost quite some money in the meantime). Which in other terms means that he, Sid Meier, obviously doesn't care about the Civilization series (as PC game) anymore.
    This gives me a very bad feeling about what to expect for the future.

11. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

Bingo. I've said nearly exactly this myself in other threads. My predictions for the future are:

There will be no Civ V expansion pack.
    There will be no more Civ V patches.
    Any and all changes to the game from here on out will be either a hotfix or DLC.
    There will be no Civ VI.
    There will be no more "full-fledged" Civ games for the PC at all, ever.

Designing, supporting, patching, and expanding upon a game for a platform that by nature has nearly infinite configurations is less profitable than designing a simpler game that only has to work inside ubiquitous browsers. PC gaming in general has been getting its butt kicked by consoles for years now. It may not ever completely die off, but I don't like the direction (simpler, cheaper, unsupported and stupid games) it's taking, and will continue to take. Thank the almighty dollar I guess.

12. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

You guys really think that after Civilization 2 Sid Meier did anything but to lend his name to the series? Come on.

If Civ 3 and 4 had all the things they had, Civ 5 will have the same stuff. And there will be a Civ 6, for sure.

None of this means good news, but to say that Civilization will die cos Sid Meier is not paying that much attention to it is false, cos he isn't for quite a long time now.

And this story about "PC gaming is dying" is über ridiculous. The only reason consoles still lives is because of PC gaming. All the hardware for consoles were developed for PC gaming, and will continue to be like that. Don't generalize a whole industry based on one failed game.

13. builer680

I don't think what I think because Sid Meier isn't running the ship. I think what I think because it's the most logical conclusion for a corporation to try to make money more easily with a cheaper, simpler, and easier-to-implement product.

Also, I said PC Gaming may not completely die off, but it is moving in a direction I don't like. While it may seem like a small difference to you, I didn't say exactly what you are implying I said.

14. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

And what I said is that what Fireaxis did with Civ 5 is far from being the standard in the industry as a whole, as you said loud and clear. If you think PC gaming is "moving in a direction" just because of what happened with Civ 5, you've got to be kidding.

For TBS fans, 2010 was a dark year with Civ 5 and Elemental, but these 2 games and what happened to them is far away from being the general rule for PC gaming. We had lots of exclusive PC games, or PC games that were also released for consoles but the quality of the PC version was far greater than their console's counterpart. If you don't like or don't care for other game genres, it's ok. But don't generalize something based on one genre alone.

If what you say was true, everybody would be making only facebook games. Or do you think it's easier to make a console game with its several hardware limitations, from the graphic chip to the joypad, than a PC game?

15. 2K Elizabeth

2K Elizabeth <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

We're still here, but as I've said before, our duties lie in the official forums and our official sites. I read threads in this place several times a week, but posting is actually a fairly small slice of Greg's overall job - and a tiny one of mine. I'd rather have him actually doing stuff that will benefit you guys (and I think you would too) - but if you need us, we're here via email for most immediate contact. Just send a link of a thread you want us to address, or come over to the official forums. I promise we don't close threads for no reason (and if you see that, you can also use the handy email option to alert us to any problem.)

16. builer680

Maybe your crystal ball is clearer than mine, only time will tell. I stand by my predictions.

17. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

I have no crystal ball, I stand with today's facts right beside me and it isn't my intention to predict the future. It's you who want to predict the future having the support of your subjective feelings alone.

If you scroll back to my original reply to you, you'll see that the only thing I've contested was the argument of your prediction, not the fact that you were making one. So trying to predict the future wasn't the issue before and isn't now.

There's no problem with that or with having an opinion, as long as you clearly state that it's your opinion based on your feelings, instead of using a fallacy that I hear for a decade (pc gaming is dead/console games are better) to convince others of your ideas.

18. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

rant removed..

carry on.

19. builer680

You are predicting by saying my prediction will be wrong. It's still a prediction. So shut the hell up. Thanks.

I did. So shut the hell up. Thanks.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate language is not allowed here.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889