Favorite Game Options?

solistus

Warlord
I'm new to RoM and I'm curious as to what custom game options others like to play. I've tried a few variants:

Game modifiers:
-Sometimes I turn city razing off for crowded games so I can go for the early game conquest slingshot - conquer a capital or two in the early BC years and watch your civ develop exponentially faster than rivals! This is a lot harder with RoM thanks to revolutions (conquer too much too fast and your econ will crash as your cities revolt), which is probably a good thing.
-Raging barbarians: barbs are already a lot more relevant in RoM, so why not go all out? One of these days I wanna do a big map with only 3-4 'real' civs and let the barbs go wild.
-One City Challenge - I've started to find Noble OCCs to be a much more fun version of a 'builder game.' I always play these on Marathon or Snail to get the most out of my one city's uber production. Not having to worry much about stability/revolutions is quite liberating. I really wish there was a variant where you could conquer foreign cities but other than that it was OCC rules (no settler building, unlimited world wonders and extra national wonders in capital, etc)
-Haven't really experimented much beyond that. I leave all the new mod options on (that's why I'm playing RoM after all and I haven't played it enough to find any components in particular I dislike). What other settings do people find interesting?

In terms of maps:
-Planet Generator map script, lots of extra flood plains and one continent per player, "easy mode" builder game. Planet Gen can make a lot of cool maps, only problem is it doesn't have a plate tectonics-based continent placement system so you never get realistic continents - they're in a circle or a grid every time pretty much. The two big features that a lot of scripts don't have is altering the number of flood plains and setting the minimum sea distance between continents - 5 tile minimum makes for an interesting game, no contact off the continent till Caravels or fairly developed cultural borders along the coasts.
-The standard Earth maps, everybody loves seeing how a Civ game plays out across real-ish world geography right? But Huge maps take too long late game in between turns...
-I haven't really picked which real-esque map script (Earth2, PerfectWorld, Continents, etc.) I like best. I used to play Rhyes' mod which Earth maps replicate well enough and Planet Generator maps but the lack of realism continent-wise frustrates me... What 'regular' map scripts do people like best, for RoM or in general?
-I vary the number of opponents a lot. I don't like the expansion rush phase of the game lasting too long so I usually go for at or above the 'standard' number of civs based on the map size. Sometimes I aim or one civ per continent but RoM is more fun with continental rivals, methinks.

Game modifiers:
-I like revolution, it makes the game dynamic nad forces you in an accurate management of the expansion - ctizen happiness - garrisons etc. It also can change the diplomatic situation, for expample, when a AI gets too strong, it can revolt and split in 2 nations... it's just great!
-Start as minor, it's great, cause makes all more realistic and dynamic, you really need to build a military early to be strong in the later eras

In terms of maps:
-Terra, i enjoy to put me and all the AI in one single continent in order to challange them in a race to the new continent
Usually i put duble of the standard civs of the map size, because most of them die early for the "start as minor" modifier

Start as minor sounds interesting. So everyone who's not at Writing or beyond is locked at war basically? Does being a 'minor civ' change anything else - UUs/UBs, leader traits, etc.? And yeah, Revolution is what drew me to RoM; I was gonna try out Revolution on its own and then I saw a post about this collection including it and a lot of other good stuff.

Does Terra ever spawn multiple 'old world' continents close-ish to each other, and is the new world always at least a few tiles away? Sounds like an interesting option... Barb civs would make the New World more interesting, I imagine.

Forgot to mention, did make one tweak to RoM - I set the barb civ settings to allow civs to emerge without contacting a major civ. So Terra/big barb-filled maps/etc. are extra dynamic, I hope.

Start as minor sounds interesting. So everyone who's not at Writing or beyond is locked at war basically? Does being a 'minor civ' change anything else - UUs/UBs, leader traits, etc.? And yeah, Revolution is what drew me to RoM; I was gonna try out Revolution on its own and then I saw a post about this collection including it and a lot of other good stuff.

Does Terra ever spawn multiple 'old world' continents close-ish to each other, and is the new world always at least a few tiles away? Sounds like an interesting option... Barb civs would make the New World more interesting, I imagine.

Forgot to mention, did make one tweak to RoM - I set the barb civ settings to allow civs to emerge without contacting a major civ. So Terra/big barb-filled maps/etc. are extra dynamic, I hope.

I think Start as minors only forces war untill writing is discovered, but i'm not sure.

The default Terra only spawns 2 big continents, and some more islands, i dunno if there are modified versions of it... btw there are always 5 or more tiles of ocean so, untill you build galleons, you cannot reach it :goodjob:

With barb.civ would be interesting, but you will lose the "race to the new continent" because it will be already settled by the new emerged civs, but they will be inferior, so maybe it's even more realisitc, like the europeans vs the american natives :D

i play exactly like danwood.

The only thing that frustrates me is that usually by the time i get to the new world there is already a major dominating civ (usually me). So u pretty much know who is going to win...

Other than that i think its the best way to play rom and civ in general!
- Raging barbarians.
- Huge Tera Map.
- 16 Starting Civs: enough "room" for early race for territory and pillaging and a room for 8 new civs to emerge either from revolution or from barbarians. (dll supports 24 civs).
- Start as minors. So much fun! Killing everyone without fear of long time retaliation!

No RevMod (just don't like it). No Vassals (hate the way the game handles it, not the idea).

BarbCiv, TechDiffusion on. Limited Religion sometimes but mostly I turn it off. I find that with Limited religions "on" not every civ will get a religion even into the Industrial era. But with it "disabled" all AI eventually do and generally much much faster than with it on. Even if I've founded 3 or 4 myself.

Archipelago or Islands Map, Huge, low or medium Seas. Or Lakes Map Huge water levels High for big lakes.

Start as Minor. Only 8AI to start.

Spread out on islands and snaky continents can let AI survive long enough to get a good start and Not be "rushed" like large land mass maps allow(earth, Pangaea continents maps, etc). You won't be taking out many AI Capitals in the ancient era with these maps. A strong Navy is a must. As are the ship building techs. Also allows a 2nd land rush to occur after Optics. Island unreachable by Galleys and cultural borders are still available into late medieval and early renaissance.

Some of my preferred ways to play.

JosEPh :)

No RevMod (just don't like it). No Vassals (hate the way the game handles it, not the idea).

Archipelago or Islands Map, Huge, low or medium Seas. Or Lakes Map Huge water levels High for big lakes.

Start as Minor. Only 8AI to start.

Spread out on islands and snaky continents can let AI survive long enough to get a good start and Not be "rushed" like large land mass maps allow(earth, Pangaea continents maps, etc). You won't be taking out many AI Capitals in the ancient era with these maps. A strong Navy is a must. As are the ship building techs. Also allows a 2nd land rush to occur after Optics. Island unreachable by Galleys and cultural borders are still available into late medieval and early renaissance.

JosEPh :)

Interesting! I will try this next...

Mod Features:

+ Revolutions: I really like this feature cause it makes civs to balance even more by expanding their empire and makes big empires to balance between military for defence and culture\happiness to maintain their kingdom as well as economy

+ Added features as more religion and balanced units and new buildings. I really like having to choose and think about what to produce and research. More options is a more happy Ironmann I guess:D But I would like te see even more religions as well as an expanded amount of religions you can found per civilization. Worlds big religions

+ Tech Stealing: This feature adds realism since it seems naturall that tech advanced civs and nabour civs will adapt and learn from each other.

Map Options that I use:
Size: Huge(I have just adapted to huge size so much that its hard to play other cause I easily overexpand etc, and my gaming rig cant handle much larger in the late game:cry:)

Speed: Marathon(Used to play Epic before but I find Marathon more suitable to my playing style since it gived each civ more time to produce soldiers between each tech advance, though late game you can easily get new tech every 5 rounds)

Map Type: Terra(Classic:D) and Hemisphere(I like the option of huge continents with island to go;))

And for leader I always go for bischmark.

Huge/Giant, Marathon, Tectonics or whatever, Raging barbarians

Rev off
Barb city on

RoM : 2.52 with default settings. (max 4 ww/cirty, limited religion, etc...)

Map : Large (15-20 civ), Huge (20-25 civ) with Perfectworld (Start anywhere, Break Pangaeas) (Never tried bigger size than huge, 'cause Perfectworld fails on them :()

Speed : Epic, marathon, snail

No technology brokening, Revolution mod, Barbarian Civ mod, Tech Diffusion mod on.

Fav leaders : Mehmed II, Joao II, Ramkhamhaeng, Suppilulima

Top Bottom