1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Government Type

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Harbringer, Mar 31, 2005.

?

Favorite Government type

1. Monarchy

27 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. DemocraZy

36 vote(s)
    18.3%
  3. Republic

71 vote(s)
    36.0%
  4. Communism

41 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Facism

13 vote(s)
    6.6%
  6. Feudalism

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Despotism

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Anarchy

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. TheAlakazam

TheAlakazam Chieftain

I just love communism simply because of the high chances of success in espionage missions. I enjoy spying on people and whatever they are doing. Muhahahaha......

2. Gargantutron

Gargantutron Chieftain

i vote Democracy.
    I usually go despotism->republic/monarchy->democracy (monarchy or republic depends on one factor only. what tech i get first!).
    I cannot understand why so many voted Republic. Sure, you have some unit support and you get the commerce bonus, BUT you ALWAYS make more money as a democracy. And money = fast research = better units than the AI = PWNAGE!!!

Yeah, WW can be a *****. In my most recent game i got betrayed by the Carthahignians. I had secured my starting continent only leaving puny Zulu and Japan who posed no threat whatsoever. anyway i had attacked the Babylonians(as they had 3 luxuries! :D), signed a MA with Carthage. We had taken over almost all their cities when Carthage desided they hate me. Anyway, they attacked me with so many units that even with the initial 'war happiness' the next turn WW started. I signed peace with Babylon immediatley of course. Did not have Universal Suffrage (hadn't gotten to Industrialization yet), no police stations (didnt have Communism either). I still won the war, my democracy didnt fall, eventhough the war lasted 20 turns (i signed MA against Carthage with EVERY civ hihihi). I did need to have some 30% lux tax, but i was still able to maintain 4 turn research. Conclusion: You can't fail with democracy. :D

3. Evil Tyrant

Evil Tyrant Eccentric Dictator

Fascism is my Favorite. I usually go Despotism>Monarchy>Fascism. If I get a flood plain start, I will stay in Despotism for quite a while, I :love: pop rushing. Fascism will support my massive armies, and I like the feel of being a Fascist dictator. :king:

4. Gato Loco

Gato Loco Open to Interpretation

Republic is hands down better than anything but communism, which I suppose is better for late-game apocaylptic modern warfare.

5. IATyco

IATyco Chieftain

Um, you don't get more money in Democracy. The commerce bonus is excatly the same as the Republic's: 1 extra gold for every tile already producing gold. And you get no unit support in Democracy at all, so you will be losing more money than Republic if you try to maintain a large army. That, and the high War Weariness make it difficult to wage a long war with Democracy.

6. Hassenpfeffer

Hassenpfeffer Cobalt Thorium G Device!

It's all about Democracy. If your cities are large enough you can support a ginormous army, and if you play your cards right you can win wars in a few turns. Then the war weariness doesn't do enough to be problematic.

7. Gargantutron

Gargantutron Chieftain

I wasn't talking about the +1 commerce bonus. What i meant by saying you get more money under Democracy is of course because of lower corruption. Yes, no free unit support, but it doesn't matter, i can only speak for myself of course, but i make a hell of alot more money under democracy than republic.

yes, a long war may be difficult, but not that difficult if you know what causes WW.

8. Black Flag

Black Flag Rise Above

Democracy's always a favorite for me, considering my political beliefs and I pretty much go by the game with my beliefs and all.

I'm also quite fond of Communism. Although I don't use it much; I use it for mobilization and preparation for war. Then I use it during war. It's great. I love the corruption and unit support rates.

But... the one government I cannot stand.... Fascism. I don't care if it's great for wars, like I stated earlier, I go by my beliefs. Fascism sucks.

9. Corey

Corey Djeneral

Republic no war Facism in war.

10. ForbiddenPalace

ForbiddenPalace Chieftain

I am surprised that Democracy does not get the most votes.

11. Japanrocks12

Japanrocks12 tired of being a man

It varies. When I warmonger, I always choose communism(or monarchy if communism is hated)

For peacetime victory goals, government of choice is invariably democracy.

12. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

Replace Democracy with Republic and "the most" with "more" and what you said applies to me.

13. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

If Religious

When in war: Despotism-> Monarchy/Feudal (depending on army needs)->Communism/Fascism (Fascism if I am losing)
    When in Peace: Republic-> Democracy

If Not Religious
    If I am going to be mostly peaceful the whole game:
    Despot->Republic->Democracy

Early War to take medium Home continent followed by Industrial on Age of Peace:
    Despot->Monarch/Feudal (finish home continent Wars)->Democracy

Warmonger Pangea/large continent:
    Despot->Monarch/Feudal->Communist (Fascist only if losing)

Flexible:
    Despot->Republic

Warmonger Archipelago/small continent:
    Despot (Continent War)->Republic (get to tanks)->Communist (conquer and use new continents)

Republic is the most flexible,
    Communism the most useful for a large empire (which you get if you are winning)
    Feudalism good for maintaining a large army in the middle ages... (use ICS in outlying 'safe areas' for military support bases)
    Monarchy good for war if you are well developed
    Despotism good if you plan on making a change soon, but not just yet (ie you are still at war and want to be able to downsize your military before going to republic)
    Fascism Only good if you are somewhat behind in size, but not too far behind in tech.. build up army and attack to get that empire that you deserve. (after which point you switch to communism and take over the whole world.)

14. Nyvin

Nyvin Unseen Leader

Feudalism is known for one single good thing, otherwise it's crap. It's a government you get somewhat early on that you can rush by killing people. It's the only early government other then dep. that does this. You can thus kill a bunch of people to rush lots of buildings and thus keep your towns small to have the larger army support. While your rushing your buildings you can go for a cultural victory faster then any other government type and still bully neighbors, even more then monarchies. It's mainly that it kills people to rush things that makes it good, and it's odd (but unique) unit support.

Course you'd only want to be in feudalism for a short time, it's no good in like the industrial age or something.

Fasicm is kind of flawed really, they should add something like 'no anarchy to switch' to it or something, then it'd be a good government. The reason for this is the only reason you'd want it is to fight a huge war against someone. By the time you get it you don't need the 200% workers for your own empire, just the places you conquer (thus war...). It's totally designed for war, and temporary, so there shouldn't be a period of anarchy to switch to 'or' from it, it'd make it great, and somewhat historically accurate i guess (sorta).

My favorite overall though is Democracy, that extra industry and commerce and almost no corruption is just too good to pass up! lol.

15. cleverhandle

cleverhandle Chieftain

No, just the opposite is true, though it may depend on your definition of "large" and on what eras you're talking about. Republic's 1/3/4 support looks tremendous, and it is for quite a long time. But if the game continues into the era of modern warfare (i.e. planes, carriers, real navies, artillery stacks, anti-air, etc.) you'll end up paying more in the 2 gpt overage costs in Republic than you would just paying 1 gpt for everything in Demo. How much you'll save depends a lot on your exact military situation, and whether it's worth an anarchy to go from Republic to Demo is a tough call. But the savings can be substantial - check out a late game save with CivAssist some time.

I can see the 100k angle you're taking (which is pretty cool BTW), but I think there's more to it than that. Feudalism is an ideal government for a civ that's spent a lot of time in early wars necessitated by a dry, crappy start. In that case, you may have a core that's still 6pop or less (no rivers, no time to build aqueducts over military), a bunch of conquered cities with depleted populations and crappy infrastructure, and a big military that you used to get those cities looking for their paychecks. Feudalism can give you enough unit support to get yourself back in the tech race and/or buy luxuries until your cities grow large enough to profit from a Republic.

Definitely a niche government and definitely not one for the long-term, but I think it has huge potential in the right situation. Sadly, I've never actually managed to get myself in that situation, though I would have loved it in the game I'm finishing now. I had just the kind of dry start described above, but by the time the wars ended I was just starting my painfully slow research on Feudalism. And since the AI would never trade it, I was stuck limping along in Monarchy until I was finally ready for a Republic - almost exactly when I finally finished researching Feudalism.

16. Bluemofia

Bluemofia F=ma

Monarchy, because I'm a warmongerer, and Republic's unit support kills me.

17. gunkulator

gunkulator Chieftain

If you're fighting wars in Democracy, the WW will erase any advantage you would have had due to the extra commerce. If you are in a situation where you don't have to worry about war, then you've probably already won so go ahead switch to any government you want.

All true, however Feudalism is too little too late. If you have a crappy start, you'd really like Feudalism sooner rather than later. Waiting until the MA is dangerous because the AI is going to start building and cash rushing knights while you are stuck with size 6 cities that are too small for knights. Similarily, universities and banks are unbuildable for you too. You are in real danger of the AI running away with modern buildings and units while you are stuck with a bunch of small, corrupt cities and lousy cheap, no-upgrade units and no cash rush.

18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Chieftain

Thats why you switch out of it, quickly. Too bad they didn't keep the no matinence rule...

100K culture wins sooooo much easier!

19. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Chieftain

Democracy and Fascism actually go hand in hand ... a "true" Democracy will generally degenerate into a fascism -- the ruling of a majority over minorities. Fascism present, in a form, in the U.S. and has been since its founding days.

Anyhoo, to the subject of Civ governments, its Repub -> Democracy for me ..... but games rarely last long enough to get to Democracy for me, usually because the AIs suddenly gang up on me and I'm forced to wipe them all out, heh.

I do have a bit of a trick, though ..... I generally QUICKLY go at 100% science to Code of Laws, then Philosophy and nab Republic with the first-to-Philosophy free tech. I generally switch to Republic then and there, unless I'm in a Wonder race -- in which case the AIs oh so lovingly buy my techs up to and including Republic, and if they aren't Religious like I generally am, heh heh heh ..... I get their techs, their money AND they get held back building Wonders whilst they endure Anarchy from their instant switches to Republic!

20. josephstalin

josephstalin Kremlin Highlander

When I have a huge empire, I go for communism (low corruption). But if there is a small, producrive money-wise empire I go for democracy.