1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Great Person?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tavelon, May 3, 2011.

?

Favorite Great Person

1. Great General

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Great Scientist

18 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Great Engineer

37 vote(s)
    56.9%
  4. Great Merchant

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Great Artist

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. Well me of course...oh...you mean in the game?

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. Tavelon

Tavelon Chieftain

Who's your favorite Great Person and what do you like to do with them? In Civ5, I find the Great People slightly underpowered. While their main ability is fine (Discover science, culture bomb, trade mission, etc), all the structures they build are pretty worthless in the grand scheme of things. In my mind, the better idea would've been:

Great General-Bring back the 'Lead Generals as a Warlord'. All that experience and unique upgrades it gave helped upgrade your army. Plus it was neat having a unit led by a great leader.

Great Scientist-I'd retain the build academy feature but I would double or triple the benefits from it.

Great Engineer-"City Expansion"-Instantly build four structures (starting with least expensive) in a city.

Great Artist-Discover a free social policy.

Great Merchant-One of two things can be added-
    A. Land on a resource within your borders and when the unit is consumed, the resource output from that tile is doubled.
    B. Land on a resource outside of your borders and when unit is consumed a colony is established.

2. bronzeager

bronzeager Chieftain

I don't think great people are underpowered at all... generals are essential for most military campaigns. scientists can rocket you through the tech tree (and are much stronger than in IV), engineers are necessary to nab most wonders.

artists and merchants are pretty weak, though

3. Tavelon

Tavelon Chieftain

As I said before, I'm fine with all of their main abilities (combat bonus, trade mission, free tech, rushed improvement), I don't however like their improvements they build. They sort of a waste of an ability for a great leader since they don't add that much.

4. Babri

Babri Emperor

It would be more interesting if Great Generals gain XP from combat around them which can be used to give more powerful promotions to the units nearby like higher flank attack, better discipline etc in addition to 20% combat bonus.
    Interesting idea. :think:

5. bronzeager

bronzeager Chieftain

well i've alwas viewed settling GPs as the "plan B" that you use whe you can't use their main ability, so I don't have a problem that those are weak options. if there are no wonders to rush, a factory is a nice bonus to any city. usually, golden ages are still more useful than a settled ability, but if you've used too many golden ages, they become nearly worthless for that, so the settling again becomes a good option

6. qyll

qyll Prince

Using a GE to rush build either the Great Library of the Porcelain Tower is a very powerful move. But in the end, it's all about the GS's.

7. Dermo

Dermo Warlord

:agree:
    But I would rather use a GE to build the Great Library and/or Porcelain Tower. The net result for you is the same, however you also deprive soemone else of reaping the benifits of those two wonders. Plus you're given an extra 20-50 turns where you can be building other things beyond the wonder

8. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

I think you are underestimating the GP structures a bit, if you get them really early (like from meritocracy). Sure the values are not terribly high, but remember these are added directly to the land, so they are subject to multipliers. I would think that for instance a manufactury, contributing +4 production plus multipliers, over the course of the game would add up to a LOT more hammers than it takes to build an early wonder. Obviously the key is getting it super early, so most likely if it's not the meritocracy freebie, a wonder is the better choice.

Plus 4 production isn't drasticly noticeable like a wonder, but it should be cutting multiple turns off everything you build. All those saved turns are really important in the early game. Remember you can also place it somewhere between 2 or 3 cities, so they can switch off when they need it most. Switch from a science city that needs to build a university to a coastal city that needs a seaport, etc. etc. Basically it's a lot more flexible than getting a specific wonder.

Artists are also good to settle if you are going for culture, for the same reason. It's possible to get some CRAZY multiplers on culture - up to 400% or something. Landmarks provide good value in these cities.

I like your suggestions, especially colonizing resources with Merchants. That's cool. doubling academy value and giving free policies would likely be overpowered.

9. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Merchants should have BASE golden age turn +1

Artists should have a scaling culture bonus even if you pop it as GA, or perhaops allow for culture bonus during GA.

As it stands, once you hit the 3 turn GA from using great persons, the calculus is almost always in favour of just send your merchant to a CS for the 600 gold and free influence unless you have a massive empire.

10. Blitz66

Blitz66 Chieftain

I play on a lot of small maps, and I like to play for cultural wins often, usually only fighting defensive wars.

Naturally my favourite great person is the great artist. Culture bombs are awesome.

11. Jim Bro

Jim Bro Emperor of Quebec

its a dumb poll they are not suppose to be equals anyways.

12. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

I voted Great scientists because you can have a lot of them. For cultural victories, great artists aren't bad at all. Use them for landmarks.

13. MisterSaturnine

MisterSaturnine Warlord

I voted for Great Engineer. My favorite strategy right now is popping a GE through Meritocracy and settling him (preferably on a juicy riverside tile) for a nice boost in production. You can use that production to build a few early wonders fast, put together a powerful army, or just to build all those useful buildings as soon as they become available, quickly leveraging the advantages you have from getting key techs first. Then, I always like to build workshops ASAP to get some GE points going so I can rush a tasty midgame wonder.

With regards to the power of settled Great People, I actually find their tile improvements the most useful. Doubling or tripling the GS's beaker output would way overpower the Academy, as it is already extremely useful early on to put your research rate on steroids. Settling a Great Artist is like popping Mt. Fuji in your city, and very handy for getting a new social policies fast early in the game. For a one-city empire, a bunch of Landmarks can be very helpful. That said, I don't really care for culture bombing. It just doesn't seem to be very useful to me. Great Generals are always useful in a war, and using them for a Golden Age to alleviate post-war unhappiness is always a plus.

The Great Merchant is the odd man out. I really just don't find them very useful. Both the trade mission and the Customs House simply do not provide enough commerce to compare to the advantages of the other GP. They're most useful for starting a Golden Age or scraping a bit of money together when you really need it and to solidify an alliance with a CS.

In my mind, the Tier One GP are the Scientist and the Engineer, as a boost in production or science is useful all the time. The General and the Artist are Tier Two because though they're more situational (the General's only really useful during wartime; the Artist for a cultural victory or some Social Policies), but shine in those situations. The Great Merchant sits alone in Tier Three, wishing he had friends. In my eyes, there are very few situations in which a Great Merchant is exceptionally useful, and those opportunities are few and far between.

14. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

Great Engineers, they're better for culture than Great Artists if you rush the right wonder.

15. joikm

joikm Chieftain

I have started settling the GE from Meritocracy. I lose a wonder, but those extra hammers are fantastic in the early years.

Erick

16. Rex_Mundi

Rex_Mundi Prince

How about the Khan?

17. Samuil

Samuil Warlord

Great engineer for wonders, BUT!
    you have to love the great artist... Enemy capitol near border, and after 2 great artists, you can set the border right next to his city... set artillery, troops, and voala :)