Favorite Livestreamers

I generally don't have too many as I don't generally have that much time. Quill is the only one I watch atm, I keep meaning to watch a couple others to improve my game (Quill while entertaining does make mistakes and forget things). I just never get around to it. And mostly I've noticed that many of them have good games only by conquering AI civs which doesn't differ from me significantly. I do want to watch the peaceful early science wins and such. Eventually I may get to them.

I love to watch Civ on YouTube and Twitch to relax...

My go-to's are:
- TheGameMechanic - Sometimes easily distracted, but seems to be a kind and knowledgeable guy, and clearly loves his community.
- Potato McWhiskey - There's just something about your accent that makes me believe everything you say... (AD reference lol)
- Normul8or - Not seeing enough love for him here...he's a great player, and has a cool and confident approach. My play-style is most like his, and his voice can be calming (don't hate me Norm, but I like to listen to your videos to fall asleep...you're awesome, just very calming lol.)

A couple of old-world shout-outs:
- Civtrader6 - Wish he made more videos, but if you ever wanted game-breaking play executed with precision, he's your guy.
- FilthyRobot - Also wish he still played Civ, but I can understand why he lost interest (the multiplayer scene seems a bit stale in some aspects). He taught me a lot, and is also one of the best players I've watched.
- A call back to Civ V, Moriarty - His videos made me laugh. He has a sardonic way of playing that is enjoyable.
- Another Civ V call back, Primevalciv - He was the first online VOD streamer I watched. He was the first of many to teach me how to be a proficient Civ player, and I'm grateful for that.

And...yes, I've watched:
- Quil18 - I love his Canadian sensibilities, but sometimes his delivery and sort of squirrel-y nature gets to me. I'll watch him occasionally, but I prefer the others above.
- Marborzir - His delivery is also kind of...scattered. I'm sure that it works for many, and he is a very decent player, just not the one for me.

I like the enthusiasm in Marbozir's voice when he commentates when playing, you can tell he is really enjoying the game and is stuck into it, plus he really knows his stuff. He can also be very humorous at times, he can make me laugh out loud.

Plus he seems like a nice guy to top it all off.

but I like to listen to your videos to fall asleep...you're awesome, just very calming lol.)

A lot of people ask why watch the game when you can play it, this is one reason for me. Sometimes I just want to relax or lay on my side and I can't exactly play civ in that position. YouTube videos are great to fall asleep to. Though the one I most fell asleep to is a streamer playing fallout new Vegas.

FilthyRobot is just decent, but his language is far from that. I simply just don't like him. Watched other games with him, but he is foul and with Civ, just crap.

civtrader for understanding the game, breaks the game apart.

PotatoMcWhiskey - fast player, but mostly one style in all games.
TheGameMechanic - great player, but my goodness, so slow!
Broyar - good player.

quill18 is too scatterbrained to make a good play of civ6, but I love the guy.

I like the enthusiasm in Marbozir's voice when he commentates when playing, you can tell he is really enjoying the game and is stuck into it, plus he really knows his stuff. He can also be very humorous at times, he can make me laugh out loud.

Plus he seems like a nice guy to top it all off.

Yea, I like Marby. His Polish accent was tough for me at first but I have seen so many of his videos now it's no issue for me. Good player and seems like a nice guy too.

FilthyRobot is just decent, but his language is far from that. I simply just don't like him. Watched other games with him, but he is foul and with Civ, just crap.

civtrader for understanding the game, breaks the game apart.

PotatoMcWhiskey - fast player, but mostly one style in all games.
TheGameMechanic - great player, but my goodness, so slow!
Broyar - good player.

quill18 is too scatterbrained to make a good play of civ6, but I love the guy.

Love Quill and have watched his stuff since the day after Civ 5 came out.

I have never understood this phenomenon. I'd much rather play the game myself than watch others do so.

Are there any more videos that explain the basics for us newbies? I really like Potato's Starting Location video, so more of that? Like some more explanation on when to chop and when to wait? I have read a lot about it, but a good example in a video would be really helpful.

I have never understood this phenomenon. I'd much rather play the game myself than watch others do so.

I do both, when I am at my computer I play. When I have gone to bed and have my Roku TV on it would make no sense to play as I am trying to get to sleep. Same thing while cooking up some breakfast. Watching/Listening on the tablet while cooking makes more sense than running back and forth to my computer while my stuff burns......

I think it would be Epic to have these top players play against each other on a live stream.. Maybe each doing their own stream during the game simultaneously.

All depends, for me, when and where. If I have some dedicated time, I am playing. If instead I am elsewhise busy and need some background noise, I am watching. Sure is better than HGTV in the background :)

Amen to this. I personally believe these D-list celebrities are actually ruining a good part of the integrity and meaning of many games like this, and imposing false expectation on the players themselves. Certainly D&D 5th Edition, (a tabletop-pen-and-paper, not computer game, but still, a good example) has been hurt by the phenomenon in that way of "celebrity livestreaming DM's," and I don't think it helps other games either. But maybe I'm just getting old (my first iteration was Civ2 back in the 1998, if that says anything).

@gozpel I agree with what you say about The Game Mechanic, he can be very slow alright, that is because he spends too much time reading twitch chat. Fair enough having a glance when a twitch user tags you but he could spend half a minute reading chat. If he responds it could be well over a minute before he starts playing again. (plus sometimes he responds to multiple questions)

Heck, I can remember when he was recording his A-W series for YouTube, he was recording first on Twitch and he said he won't be reading chat as much because he doesn't want YouTube viewers to have to watch that. Basically he was admitting when he doesn't read chat (a lot) and reply to questions a lot he is better to watch.

I'd never watch a YouTuber/Twitch streamer play on a normal difficulty, only on Deity. I watch them take on challenging games that could stomp me, I can learn from them. (plus it's nice to hear their commentary)

Last edited:
On Civ5 (including Vox populi mod)

1. Acken
2. Marbozir
3. Filthy Robot
4. The Canadian guy with the laughing jester avatar whose name eludes me. He's on the forum too.
5. Moriarte

Civ6

1. Civtrader6
2. Potato McWhiskey
3. Marbozir
4. Saxy Gamer
5. Filthy Robot

Civtrader6 is a beast! I forgot what his forum handle is but could someone please beg him nicely to make some videos for us when Gathering Storm comes out? It sounds like he is playing with a cigarette lighter in the background when he is thinking and that flicking sound is so stimulating. He reminds me more of Acken more than anyone else because he is scary smart and does not talk too much. No filler just straight up killer.

I wish Filthy Robot would play again. At this rate I doubt it. I think he is still agitated with Civ 6 mechanics. If it were not for him I would have never got into multi-player civ at all.

MadDjinn

That's the Canadian whose name I forgot. He is extremely knowledgeable about Civ. If I recall correctly didn't he alpha test Civ6 or Civ5? I cannot find his YouTube channel anymore. He is still on the forum though.

Top Bottom