1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Map w/ Map Size and # of Civs?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by mp84, May 13, 2015.

1. mp84

mp84 Chieftain

So,

I know there's been ton of threads throughout all other forums for the base civ games, and other mods too, but we haven't had one here in a while, so why not now, perhaps it can give people some other other ideas for their game too :).

Bottom line... What's your Favorite Map, Map Size, and finally # of Civs and City States you like to play with CBP.

Guess I'll begin :)

Huge Setting
    Epic Pace
    Communitas Map
    Either 15 Civs/30 City States or 16 Civs/32 City States.

For me, I just can't live without a huge setting maybe because I'm used to having more time than usual when I play Civ 5 (so I can really sit down and get immersed in the game for a few hours without interruptions), or perhaps I just want my games to be epic in general as I progress through the different ages, and the huge/epic setting does that for me.

The communitas map script I gotta say is awesome, it always give a nice assortment of Continents (seems to be a bit randomized, cause I don't remember the same layouts for when I restart a new game) for me to play with and the strategic/luxury placement makes things pretty fun (I'm sure that's thanks to CBP's updates to the script as well) as you will more than likely have a monopoly on a certain luxury resource.

Even though I normally go with 16 civs, as long I pick the placements to be "continents" I'll get a good assortment of civs all over the place. Because I do 16 Civs some civs are a little to close for my taste, but you still have enough room to go 3-4 cities, and if you want to piss off neighbors 5-6 is still possible as well. (Or leaves room for just gold fashion conquest in the beginning if you like)

If anything the only complaint I have about the Communitas Script is the damn map generation loves placing Iron on Marshlands (in fact in my Greece game I just started now with the 5/13 version, 3 freakin Iron within my territory, but all of it on the damn Marsh!, lol).. Which makes the Classical era not as fun as should be since you won't see as many Swordsman as their should be in general for that period.

Naturally who knows if that has to do with the communitas map script, or simply just map generation of Civ 5 in general.

I may down the line think of doing a 14 Civ/28 City State game with the other settings being the same, but not sure I just seem to really love these "big" civ type games with lots of city states and lots of chances to curse out the civs who beat me on building the Wonder I want , heh.

Well, that's my take... So let the discussion begin, what's yours favorite Game Setting?

2. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

Huge (PTSD after having played civ4 on a toaster)
    Epic/Marathon (the latter in CBP is bearable)
    Communitas
    22 civs/41 city states
    God bless EUI for making possible to play with these settings without the game becoming a complete snorefest.

3. SgtCiv

SgtCiv Warlord

I play on a custom huge map that I have built, which is a modified Europe/Mediterranean map.
    22 Civ's with close to true start locations and 22 city states.
    Epic speed - with science rate increased in the MOD.

4. mp84

mp84 Chieftain

That's interesting... how does the Communitas Map handle the 22 Civ Placement?

As for me, with just 16 it can get tight in certain corners of the world and all, but there's just enough space for everyone to expand a bit.

5. theraresheep

theraresheep Chieftain

I'm currently have issues with CP but putting that aside my favourite settings would be Communitas - Small - where the players start one major continent, I like the idea of "Terra Incognita" (I am aware it's not called that but you know what I mean), the idea there is another landmass with other people out their and the trick of balancing your forces on the different continents. Default number of city-states I like them, not entirely sure why, maybe, it's because they're not likely to crush me :goodjob:

6. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

Depends on the settings. If you go with two continents, whilst everyone start on only one, it will be very cramped. Reducing the amount of lakes and ocean rifts gives more space, though you still can't ignore navy completely.

7. TeeInKay

TeeInKay Warlord

the flavor and balance of a huge standard speed no advanced settings communitas map is pretty great imo

8. zeta

zeta Mod Addict

Standard map size
    Standard Pace
    Communitas Map
    8 Civs and 10 City States OR 10 Civs and 13 City States

I don't have time nor willing to play on huge map or epic/marathon pace. And to be honest, I hate exploring huge maps, I like action as soon as possible.

9. DLimited

DLimited Warlord

Small to Large NoQuitter MapScript (current version 4.1)
    Standard Pace
    Strategic Balance with Coal

This map has everything I like, large Pangea landmass where everyone spawns, room to expand but close enough for constant tension, and small islands for settling along the coastline.

10. Opera

Opera Deity

Wondering something: does anyone play with research agreements instead of trading?

11. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

Someone plays with tech trading at all?

12. zeta

zeta Mod Addict

I never do research agreements tbh :D Domination FTW, no friends needed.

13. vyyt

vyyt Deity

No, only Opera ;)

14. Opera

Opera Deity

:p To be honest, I have yet to reach a game late enough to even enable it!

15. ecgopher

ecgopher Warlord

Tectonic, Huge, 16-18 civs, 32-36 CSs, trade my starting warrior for a scout via really advanced setup, vassalage off, tech trading off, research agreements on. Had usually played immortal both BNW and CBP, but have played emperor the past couple releases. About to bump it back up to immortal for my next game.

16. M@drox

M@drox Chieftain

A Perfect World (land 37%: hills 30%, Mountain 5%, Desert 18%, Jungle 15%, Marsh 8%, rivers 15%)
    Huge+ (140x90)
    Marathon (300/era)
    18 civs (2 city start)
    18 CS
    Diety

17. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Emperor, Epic, Huge, crowded Communitas map with low sea-level. By crowded I mean usually around 16-22 Civs and around 16 CSs. Sometimes I play the terra version and lower the number of Civs slightly.

The reason I usually play with low sea level is that Communitas tends to create chokepoints and narrow archipelagos AI units have problems with. But Gazebo made some improvements both to the map script and tactical AI, so maybe I will try other settings next time.

Oh and I usually show down the science rate a bit.

18. zeta

zeta Mod Addict

So why do people love huge maps with epic/marathon pace so much? I always wondered. Those seem to be the most popular ones.

19. Strigvir

Strigvir Emperor

The normal speed is too fast, just when you've built your attack force it gets obsolete.
    And a huge map simply because it is the biggest map possible without resorting to mods.

20. black8

black8 Chieftain

i like to play on large map with small number of city states,less than ten city states is perfect balance.huge map slows my computer too much