Favorite Musical Instrument.

What's your favorite instrument by timbre?

• Total voters
Personally I love a soft fiddle and someone playing a fa gotte with a powerful organ. I don't mind thrusting a bit of horn in there either.

A specific song? I'd have to ponder. I did something in midi which was just finished rather nasty -- 2 guitars slowly falling out of tune to each other, dropping about a quarter step over a minute drone with 2 gentle leads without any semblance of distortion. If you're interested, I can get an mp3 of it but my midi playback is pretty... well it's caveman quality as far as midi goes.

Just FYI, that's IMHO the textbook definition of heterophony. :D More instruments playing a melody that starts out as unison and slowly degenerates into music with certain differences played at the same time.

Man, do people really use that as a musical instrument, though? I guess someone must have, cause you gotta try, right?

I have no idea... I wonder how many sounds you can get with just one instrument like that (I mean by changing the only embouchure, not with more than one instrument of different size).

Really?

But seriously guitars are kick ass.

More seriously, French horn, electric guitars (and bass), church organs and gongs. I like rich sounds. Nothing quite compares to a big band sound with multiple counterpoints and accompanying lines.

Just FYI, that's IMHO the textbook definition of heterophony. :D More instruments playing a melody that starts out as unison and slowly degenerates into music with certain differences played at the same time.

Yeah, but what I'm describing isn't what Debussy found alluring. :lol:

Got a rough mp3, just gotta host and I'll get a link.

Glenn turn your volume down. First ~2 minutes are thrash, turning into something somewhat pretty, turning into something no wave turning into something just gross. If you like it, there's something wrong with you.

Them's some mighty big pictures, philippe. But yeah, organs make some interesting music.

Glenn turn your volume down. First ~2 minutes are thrash, turning into something somewhat pretty, turning into something no wave turning into something just gross. If you like it, there's something wrong with you.

Most of it reminded me thoroughly of the music of Mother 2/3, and yes I liked it. I thought the motifs were so different at times that it sounded like three seperate songs, but I liked it.

Ok TheSkald

I'll bite, any instrument that can bite in a catchy way. This includes electric guitars, pianos and violins. I know I'm missing something. Oh well, hears an example of what I mean by "bite"

Piano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSK1bOIh15o

Its called those who fight, just that opening line is amazing. Its so powerful yet retains sophistication, it has power without becoming caveman.

Guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQR-OsH0RQ

The quiet to loud dynamic is exercised "properly" in the main riff of the song. The riff itself starts off savagly, while still somewhat melodic. Almost sad perhaps, but as soon as the distortion kicks in and the drums help introduce that very powerful dichotomy, its pure guitar magic. It is literally, "angst in a sound".

Guitar again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmc27GQrRUk
Skip to 1:22

While I have always liked the songs main riff, I always thought the initial swell at the beginning had more emotion and power to it. The reason I used a more modern version is because I believe the heavier distortion expresses the sound more clearly.

Violin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoD78foaZ4o&feature=related

Ive always thought it sounded much better on violin personally:lol:

and now I feel like a homo music critic:(

well i play the flute, and i just like the way it flows...
but somehow you forgot it
???????????

Ok TheSkald

I'll bite, any instrument that can bite in a catchy way. This includes electric guitars, pianos and violins. I know I'm missing something. Oh well, hears an example of what I mean by "bite"
That's what I'm talking about! I knew you'd come around. :)

Piano:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSK1bOIh15o

Its called those who fight, just that opening line is amazing. Its so powerful yet retains sophistication, it has power without becoming caveman.
Oh man, Nobuo Uematsu. :love: Guess who made me fall in love with the contra-bassoon. It strikes me that there are still so many who see the fact that he composes music for video games as some sort of stigma and miss the fact that he really is one of the geniuses of modern music.

Guitar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPQR-OsH0RQ

The quiet to loud dynamic is exercised "properly" in the main riff of the song. The riff itself starts off savagly, while still somewhat melodic. Almost sad perhaps, but as soon as the distortion kicks in and the drums help introduce that very powerful dichotomy, its pure guitar magic. It is literally, "angst in a sound".
Right on, I love that song and I'm sick of people ripping on it just because it was so popular. It's really solid, and an excellent example of Kurt at his best. I recall a story from Grohl, I think, about Kurt coming in one day some time before they recorded Nevermind saying the band wasn't using enough silence, and I think the dichotomy you're speaking of is a reflection of that. It was an excellent result from excellent musicians, strip away all the bullsh** and that's what you get.

Guitar again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmc27GQrRUk
Skip to 1:22

While I have always liked the songs main riff, I always thought the initial swell at the beginning had more emotion and power to it. The reason I used a more modern version is because I believe the heavier distortion expresses the sound more clearly.
This may be where we part ways, I've always found that song too repetitive, and while that's not a bad thing in itself, the repetition doesn't work here. I think it would be better if the vocals weren't in lock-step with the main riff.

Violin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoD78foaZ4o&feature=related

Ive always thought it sounded much better on violin personally:lol:
That is just remarkable...

and now I feel like a homo music critic:(
Ah, c'mon, it's a fun exercise in effectively communicating one's thoughts. What better way to practice the manipulation of language than by trying to explain why you like or dislike a piece of music? :lol:

EDIT:
well i play the flute, and i just like the way it flows...
but somehow you forgot it
???????????
|
V
:goodjob: Forgot the wind instruments, but there wasn't enough room.
:)

@TheSkald

Whoa whoa whoa, I never said I liked "Iron Man", I borderline hate it, I just love that guitar swell at the beginning. Its best if you are the one who is actually doing it, it has a lot of power to it.

I voted for Trombone and "other brass," because I play the Euphonium, and it's simply the greatest instrument ever made. Even its name, "beautiful sound," is awesome.

I play the trombone myself, so that one gets a vote, although I do enjoy a good bass or fiddle, and the harmonica.

Sweet, I didn't know this? I've been playing Euphonium for years, and I had to learn to play Tenor Trombone in high school, too, because we didn't have any trombones.

If you like tubas then you'll LOVE Sousaphones!

You've clearly never played a tuba or a sousaphone. Sousas produce some of the most horrible sounds I've ever heard. I've made more aesthetic sounds after eating Hormel Chili, Hot with Beans.

Euphonium. I played one in high school and enjoyed it. :D I still have fantasies of playing Bonnie Tyler's Faster Than the Speed of Night on a euphonium.

YES! Euphonium players unite!

I think that guy's sideburns are awesome.

I had sideburns like that in high school. They're called "mutton chops."

The piano just creates the best-sounding music ever.

Spoiler :

Quite possibly the most epic instrument ever built by man.

Holy crap, that one's glorious enough to make God jealous!

YES! Euphonium players unite!
I used to play the Euphonium as a kid/youth :love: (well, actually up until I was around 24yo). It's an awesome instrument...

Though I wish I had also learned to play the guitar.

Piano here, I lve listening to old jazz and hearing that piano. I want to play that. For a while I was obsessed with learning stand up bass to.

I think we can classify the Organ as a wind instrument, since that is the method of making the sound is by the use of wind, even though you use a key to open the pipes, but it is best to classify it as a wind instrument for the sake of the argument, even though someone does have some explaining to do, why included the fiddle and contra bassoon in its place [pissed]. That is what is so good about being a keyboard player, since you can say you know how to play percussion, winde and a string instrument. Talk about a versatile musician. ;) The percussion is the piano, since the method of getting the sound is to hit the string and the stringed instrument is any pre piano keyboard, such as the harpsichord, which is basically a harp that you pluck via a keyboard.

Sweet, I didn't know this? I've been playing Euphonium for years, and I had to learn to play Tenor Trombone in high school, too, because we didn't have any trombones.
Well hey, alright!
You've clearly never played a tuba or a sousaphone. Sousas produce some of the most horrible sounds I've ever heard. I've made more aesthetic sounds after eating Hormel Chili, Hot with Beans.
I said sousaphone because CCRunner said he enjoyed the fact that the tuba was so large, but I do admit I've never played either instrument.
I had sideburns like that in high school. They're called "mutton chops."
Sideburners unite!

Top Bottom