1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite New Leader for Existing Civ

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Phoenix1595, Jun 20, 2007.

?

Who is your favorite new leader for an existing civ?

Poll closed Jul 11, 2007.
  1. Lincoln (America)

34 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Boudicca (Celts)

43 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. De Gaulle (France)

21 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. Pericles (Greeks)

76 vote(s)
    30.5%
  5. Suleiman (Ottoman)

25 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. Darius (Persia)

50 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

I like to play the Celts, so I like diversity. The developers seem to be pursuing a fad for WWII leaders ... all except you know who (includeable only if O Fortuna could play in the background everytime he appeared!)

It's a shame that Suleiman and Lincoln are the only actually great historical leaders. Was certain Spain would get a second ... some alternative to that psycho warmonger b*tch Isabella! ;) I am curious how they arrive at a decision to give one civilization three leaders, one two and another just one.

2. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

calgacus:
    The invisible hand of the market determines it. If a civ is underrepresented by only one leader, it makes absolutely no difference to them. It's about mass appeal and making money. Honestly, what other strategy do we expect them to adopt? They're a business.

3. Pangur Bán

Pangur Bán Deconstructed

You really think Boudicca or De Gaulle have mass marketing appeal, more than, say, El Cid, Constantine, Canute or Frederick Barbarossa? I guess maybe she does, but on these boards you mostly hear people complaining about the Celts. ;)

4. Gaius Octavius

Gaius Octavius Deity

Yes, they do, because most civ players aren't keen on historical realism (as one of the few that are, I am often the brunt of everybody else's criticism, so I know. ;))

Boudicca will probably be Catherine with body paint, so you can imagine the appeal there. She also has Roman connections and since several documentaries and TV shows have been out recently on the Romans and/or Boudicca, they're using that to their advantage. De Gaulle is extremely appealing to French people, and France was a major market last time I checked.

Most people upon hearing El Cid will say, "huh?"
    "Constantine... that's that guy that converted to Christianity, right?"
    "Ca-NUTE... ain't that what you use when you jump out of a plane?"

I think you get my point.

5. NYHunter

NYHunter King

This is just my personal opinion but I also think that some leaders have a boring history. For example I have never found Spanish history to be very interesting. I try to because I love studying history in general and I have some Spanish blood but it was always boring except for when Rome and Muslims owned it. I would not want a second Spanish leader, where as even though Boudicca may not even be that important according to some people I think she is very interesting and fun to research and learn about.

6. Monty Python Ni

Monty Python Ni Chieftain

Pretty much the same for me as well

7. Panda

Panda Metal head

Darius is FIN / ORG and hence will have gold coming out of his corn hole, plus he has a great UU. Still, I go for Pericles since the CRE trait is utter sweetness.

Watch out for Willem van Oranje, though! :eek:

8. scy12

scy12 Deity

Pericles . Love the Greek civilization . Love his traits. But i would be equally happy with Philosophical industrious.

9. dutchking

dutchking Deity

De Gaulle, all the way, I'm so excited. But I have to wait :sad: and wait :coffee: and wait :wallbash: and wait [pissed]. I'm on a mac...

10. NYHunter

NYHunter King

Yes! Boudica at time of this post is tied with Darius!!!

Lincoln has gained A LOT of steam as well. More Americans are awake now. ;)

11. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Uh ... for second. You need to CALM DOWN there :run:

12. NYHunter

NYHunter King

Yes I know for second. I don't think we can win the poll with how popular Pericles is. And now Boudica is in third again. :(

So you can say they were tied for second for a second. ;)

13. Thedrin

Thedrin Deity

Pericles

It's all about the trait combination. I only got into using the philosophical trait shortly before Warlords was released so I never got much use out of it combined with my favourite trait; creative. Now that combination is back. And it's even stronger with cheap libraries added to the cheap universities and extra great people points. As a Greek leader he also has the half price odeon - already a very strong unique building.

My one reservation is that fishing is one of my least favourite starting technologies.

14. Train

Train Warlord

I liked the addition of De Gaulle, Civ needs to be more modern...

15. DevilRat

DevilRat Chieftain

I had to go with Boudica because now I finally have a Charismatic/Aggressive leader as a choice without having to mod one in.

Plus I've got a thing for crazy warrior chicks. :crazyeye:

But if I had a second pick, I'm glad to see Lincoln back.

16. Bongo-Bongo

Bongo-Bongo The Master

Persia was already one of my favourite civs, and as I wanted them to have another leader, namely Darius, he is my favourite leader of the expansion.

17. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Sulieman All The Way!

18. Tronicoz

Tronicoz vikingz

i voted bouidica

19. Say_my_name

Say_my_name Warlord

Darius, because of his kickass trait combination.

20. Churchill's Hat

Churchill's Hat Mortal

Well, in order of personal preference:
    1. Suleiman
    2. Pericles
    3. Darius
    4. Lincoln
    5. Boudicca
    6. De Gaulle