1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Options what are yours?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Grumbling Bear, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Grumbling Bear

Grumbling Bear Chieftain

I thought it might be fun/interesting to see how others like to play. Please share your favorite options. For me it's aggressive AI all the way :D. To me a world where there is constant war is much more realistic, fun and interesting than the standard AI mentalities. Also it's kinda cool to watch normally non-aggressive AI's get pissed and go on a rampage. Although random traits can do that too. Kinda fun starting on an big island with just an AGG/CHA Ghandi.

2. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Default except for No Tech Brokering
    Ocasionally play with Choose Religions on and/or Raging Barbarians as well

3. StuntedAzrael

StuntedAzrael Warlord

Almost all the time I play with low sea level. I like to REX. Everything else is default.

4. robbyextreme

robbyextreme Warlord

Usually play:

Choose religions/events off/Normal speed/Occasional raging barb
    Standard maps - Pangaea/Continents/Fractal/Archipelago although at the moment I'm doing islands because I want a Conquistador conquest :D

When I'm lazy:
    Small pangaea with 6 AI quick mode with early UU leaders. It gives you a little break off hippie games, and preps me up for MP which I actually hardly ever do nowadays.

5. Grumbling Bear

Grumbling Bear Chieftain

I've been using choose religions lately too just for the flavor of it. Kinda nice when Izzy founds Christianity instead of Buddhism:crazyeye:.

6. robbyextreme

robbyextreme Warlord

Yep =] for that reason I play it. I'm not to picky about historical relevance but this ones annoying, and I don't think I use any other religion civs unless it's random. :p

7. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Choose religions, Perm Alliances, Random seed on reload. First because I want to choose my religion according to nation I am playing, second because it's more interesting that way and third because of some stupid random events, like hurricanes or arryans

8. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

Play Now! Everything set to "normal" settings: temperate, medium sea level, fractal map (compromise between the different map styles).

9. dirtyparrot

dirtyparrot Upholding Brannigan's Law

@ bear

I used to put on aggresive AI's because I wanted more wars in my game, but I find that giving them a little extra nudge works just as well. And once one war starts, others tend to follow. It might just be that at lower levels, it's easier to remain powerful against the AI's (i.e. be above the power threshold so that you don't/unlikely to get DOWed).

10. Nyarlathothep

Nyarlathothep Mazed.

Huge Map, Tectonics or Custom Continents (all variables set to random - I love to be surprised), AIs Random, Raging Barbs, Epic Speed.

I have found Raging Barbarians :mad: to stop the usual dominance of techer-AIs on huge maps in favor of guys like Tokugawa. Warlike AIs now suddenly seem to have chances to win or at least to amass huge empires. :)

11. Grumbling Bear

Grumbling Bear Chieftain

@ Dirty Parrot

I just like it because it changes the game more to my tastes. Without agg AI you can push/bribe others to war but it's just not the same as the "somewhere there's a war going on at all times" atmosphere you get with it. Also with Agg AI on it seems everyone is always at least somewhat prepared for it. So no having your scout find your nearest neighbor ... signing open borders to find only 1 or 2 archers in each city ... whipping 5 axemen and capturing a capital. Also btw i play monarch/emperor and even with AGG AI on im usually the first to DoW =)

12. Crusher1

Crusher1 King

Small (slow computer) - nothing bigger than Normal (forum game)/No Huts/No Events/Pick a Leader - Map depends on my mood - I love Naval warfare in almost every game in the world, except CIV - the AI just sucks at it even worse than normal and is completely boring. So that typically leaves Pangea. If I play something else then it's conquer my continent and launch a ship.

13. Dragonxander PR

Dragonxander PR Emperor of the Drakons

My typical custom settings are:

-No barbs
    -Complete kills
    -Allow Permanent Alliances
    -No random events

I sometimes play with the following:

-Unrestricted leaders
    -Choose Religion
    -No espionage
    -No time victory

14. Nials

Nials Prince

I like Choose Religion just for flavor. I get tired of founding either Confucianism and/or Taoism all the time :p

Also, I'm playing a game now with No Vassals. It really annoys me how an AI can become another AI's vassal when I am waging war with them. I have learned to adopt and accept capitulations, but it is simply more fun for me to wipe out a civ completely :goodjob:

15. Charonicus

Charonicus Warlord

Map size: Standard or Large.
    Map Type: Usually shuffle unless I fancy something different.
    Leader: Random.
    Difficulty: Noble or Prince.
    Sea level: Random.
    Climate: Random.
    Speed: Epic.

No Vassal States.
    Choose Religions.

16. benfp

benfp Chieftain

[x] Permanent Alliances
    [x] Choose Religions
    Speed: Marathon
    Map: Terra | Tectonics
    Size: Huge

17. Kwibuss

Kwibuss Warlord

A normal game I keep everything default, allthough i've started using no random events recently.

I had a choose religion period for flavour, but in the end it only gave me a good idea of who my opponents were.

I found out that Tokugawa is quite a good AI with no tech trading on. Vassaling 9 other civs was scary, but I was in time for a culture win before he won a domination vic. (huge map).

Aggresive AI can be fun.

18. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

I usually play with the default settings, but for grins I will run Raging Barbarians. It's good to be humbled now and again.

19. Jaroth

Jaroth Warlord

See my signature ↓

20. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

-Normal to huge maps
    -Leader picked
    -Medium sea level, with the appropriate number of AI's. Sometimes I do a low sea level huge map and put in the maximum 18.
    -No huts
    -No random events
    -Choose Religions
    -Time victory off