1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Social Policy trees?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Optimizer, Sep 26, 2010.

?

Which social policy trees do you use most?

1. Tradition

61 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Liberty

124 vote(s)
    24.5%
  3. Honour

145 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Piety

82 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Patronage

192 vote(s)
    37.9%
  6. Order

111 vote(s)
    21.9%
  7. Autocracy

12 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Freedom

88 vote(s)
    17.4%
  9. Rationalism

110 vote(s)
    21.7%
  10. Commerce

88 vote(s)
    17.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cyberian

Cyberian Warlord

no comment

2. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

I've used Honor a lot, but I haven't gone for anything other than domination yet.

3. Celevin

Celevin King

Liberty's really really powerful right now, but that will probably be changed with a patch. It's not the tree itself's fault.

I love Piety, even though I think it's a bit weak. The strongest early tree is Patronage it seems.

4. Meanness

Meanness Chieftain

Order's unbelievably good, especially if you have a large empire.

5. Celevin

Celevin King

Yeah Order is amazing... It's so far away though.

Anything Renaissance and earlier is something I count as "early" due to slingshotting

6. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Liberty powerful? How so?
    What do we get?

Faster building settlers... when settlers are cheap any you hardly ever want to build more than a couple.
    50% food box for new cities... great, very weak.
    +1 culture, ok.... but rapidly obsolete.
    +1 production very minor.
    +25% worker production, not great, just build an extra worker.
    +1 happy per city... ok, but not great.

Whereas all the other trees have at least 1-2 awesome standout abilities.

7. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Piety, because I feel like happiness is one of the hardest things to maintain for me.

Honor, because the bonus vs. Barbarians is so excellent early on, not to mention the GG and double xp. Plus, most of the civs have bonuses to warmongering, with Germany taking the cake for synergy here.

Order, because +5 production per city is just too damned cool.

8. CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge Warlord

Commerce with the Ottomans and England is simply amazing.

It's my favorite by a long shot.

Tradition is fairly strong as well.

9. fr3nchy117

fr3nchy117 Chieftain

I like commerce... Since I enjoy playing naval strategies. And with England, great lighthouse + naval tradition = triremes that can loloutrun destroyers. I don't know how significant that might seem, but when on a standard map you never seem to need more than a few ships to establish dominance on the seas, simply because of how quickly you can get from one place to another... It's pretty nice!
    Oh and all the other bonuses are nice too lol

10. fr3nchy117

fr3nchy117 Chieftain

I like commerce... Since I enjoy playing naval strategies. And with England, great lighthouse + naval tradition = triremes that can loloutrun destroyers. I don't know how significant that might seem, but when on a standard map you never seem to need more than a few ships to establish dominance on the seas, simply because of how quickly you can get from one place to another... It's pretty nice!
    Oh and all the other bonuses are nice too lol

11. BaronVonCP

BaronVonCP Chieftain

I'm not gonna say Liberty is over-powered, but you are certainly underestimating it. I'll agree that it is pretty weak if all you are planning on building is 2 settlers.
    The map and the neighbors should dictate all decisions. If there are plenty of luxuries distributed around your landmass, liberty may very well be the way to go.
    The tree helps the early game - getting you more cities and getting those cites productive faster.

I played an Emperor game this weekend as Rome. In that particular game I was able to settle 4 different luxury resources early. With Liberty and Rome's trait, I was able to get these cities up and running very quickly. I then filled in the holes with a few more cities. I was then able to overwhelm 2 of my neighboors, liberating some city-states along the way and taking the continent.

some thoughts:
    Population = science.
    Spamming cities will run you into unhappiness, unless you can get those cities productive and connect your luxuries quickly.

Again, I'm not saying Liberty is the best all the time. But like every other tree, there are situations where it shines.

12. Celevin

Celevin King

The settler ability's pretty good early... I admit after the first 4 cities it's a wasted policy.

Liberty is powerful because the two mechanics put into place that are supposed to weaken large empires are very broken. As such, I'm seeing 20-30 cities on a standard map in some games. Obviously this makes the Order policy for +5 production in every city also very very powerful. It's just so late in the game that I hardly count it.

I only grab +1 culture/happiness, I don't bother for the production.

13. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Maybe its just a playstyle/map size issue.
    Anything more than Standard map size tends to choke up my system in the late game, on larger maps I can easily see it being valuable.

14. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Honestly, I like them all and I like that I don't always feel like I need to take the exact same ones for the same strat. For ex, I've done conquest without using honor or cultural WITH honor, and so on.

Seems like you need to be careful with this, because if you acquire cities while saving and bump up your SP costs you're somewhat foiling yourself. I did pop the 2 free policies in piety before and hold on to those once and it seemed less wonky.

15. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

Autocracy has a big negative against it. AI combat is so appallingly bad, by the time you get to the industrial era you don't need anything in this tree to succeed every battle without losses. Once the AI is improved, perhaps this tree might be helpful.

It's if you use the Great Library to free tech Civil Service: unlocks Piety, Patronage and Commerce with just 5 techs researched (4 if Babylon). In this situation it's advantageous to save your social policy points, you'll only have 1 city this early anyway.

16. Hrundi

Hrundi Chieftain

I love piety for when I'm keeping happiness a consideration. Keeps expansionism alive very nicely. Early availability is a boon as well.

17. Show

Show Chieftain

Depends on what victory I'm going for but with the current state of the AI it's usually honor/patronage into a world conquest.

18. Evalis

Evalis Prince

In case no one noticed they patched civil service to be more expensive then theology now. It also requires trapping.. it's slightly harder to slingshot your way there since there are two techs in between that point. Theology has some nice wonders though, but you no longer get super food bonuses. There really only seem to be three good things out of autocracy. The first being -33% military costs (HUGE) the second in the tree, +25% damage from wounded units is 'decent', amazing if you are japan though. The +100% resources is really good if you aren't going the patronage line, as it lets you build factories, hydro plants and so on.

19. Johan de Witt

Johan de Witt Prince

Remember that growth in Civ isn't lineair. If you have some advantages early on, that can translate into a huge edge later on.

20. ignite

ignite Chieftain

I like Tradition, Honor and Patronage above others, but each policy tree has different strengths that make branching out more fun. Aristocracy in Tradition tree is pretty strong if you're gunning for Wonders. Tradition strongly benefits capitals with high populations (IE, people like me who don't bother to control the population). If you're allied with a bunch of maritime city-states and have every +food building in the capital, population can really get out of control, so Legalism is pretty strong. Monarchy is very strong as well, since I prefer purchasing tiles rather than waiting for random chance at getting the ones I want. I seldom pick up Oligarchy though, so I never really get Landed Elite for the 33% faster growth. Oligarchy is nice if you don't plan on conquering other cities.

Patronage doesn't really need explaining, it's been talked to death. Philanthropy, Scholasticism (33% of their science bonus), and Cultural Diplomacy are the real good ones (besides the obvious reduced influence decay). Aesthetics is okay, but it's useless once you're allied. It's required though to get to Scholasticism so it doesn't matter. The occasionl great people gift is pretty nice, but not required. If you're playing as China, you already get enough generals as it is. I normally save them for bringing along with my units, but I ended up burning a few for 4 turn (Chichen Itza bonus) golden ages. Otherwise, unless the city-state is real close, it's a pain sometimes to get it all the way back to your base (especially before Astronomy for ocean embarking).

I like picking up the first of Commerce for the 25% gold boost. It should be multiplicative, so with bank and market and stock exchange and everything you can get pretty high up there in GPT just from the capital. Autocracy can be really helpful if you have a huge army. I just had a few units (3 artillery, and maybe 10 mechanized infantry, plus like 3-4 workers), and I was seeing 200+ cost in unit maintenance (though with that, I was still taking in ~180 GPT, and ~350 in golden ages), and I won that game by domination.

I've just never really gotten so far in a game that I've had a chance to make my way down multiple policy trees I suppose. My last game I had probably 10 cities, as my social policy costs were up near 7800. I was making 158 or so culture per turn, but it wasn't making nearly as big of a dent as I would have liked.